• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Looks good but I know little about Saiga. I might consider getting one depending on the responses you get. I just read it doesn't except standard Ak mags. Whats up with that?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I highly recommend the Saiga 7.62x39.....its one of the favorite rifles in my collection. Its light because it has a synthetic stock but it packs a punch and very accurate @ 100 yds. Only downfall is Mags are hard to find for it. If you can get an AK, mags are plentiful and I think a forum member is selling 30rd mags for $14/ea for outside MD sales

As far as an AR.....right now its easier to build it then find one for sale it seems. You'll save some $$ on the side which you can use to accessorize. I built one of my KISS AR's for @ $650. I went to Zero it on Mon and I did very little right out of the box.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Looks good but I know little about Saiga. I might consider getting one depending on the responses you get. I just read it doesn't except standard Ak mags. Whats up with that?

Nothing that isn't easily fixed with a dremel tool. The magwell just needs to be opened up a little bit iirc

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Need some help! Looking to purchase my first of 2 EBR (AK & AR) before the bans come!

I'm looking at this:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct708.aspx

I welcome your opinions/suggestions!

My suggestion would be to write a couple of letters to your State and Fed Reps to make SURE that a ban never comes before you rush out and buy those rifles.

Then do the same thing next month.....repeat until the Gun Grabbers are out of office.

YOU are the only one that is going to STOP the ban by making it so toxic an issue for legislators that they won't so much as THINK about supporting it because they know it will be political suicide.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    IIRC, all AK's are considered regulated in MD

The Saiga 12 is a contentious issue. There is no consesus on if it is regulated or not because it is a shotgun and it does not have interchangeable parts with the specific AK-47 or its copies.
    Some dealers will sell the Saiga 12 as unregulated.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I must be one of the lucky ones...I got my Saiga in Sept 08. The dealer said that its not considered an AK but a "sporting rifle" if I recall. I wasn't going to disagree. I filled the 4473 and took it home that night.:)
    That is why I was careful to say "pretty postive" because when it comes to Saigas, nothing really seems definite.

I swear, MD probably has the worst, poorly written laws in the nation.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Saiga mags have integral bullet guides, and you'll notice the trunnion on the Saiga doestn't have that bullet guide (ramp? I don't know what the hell it is called). If your saiga can actually lock up with a "regular ak mag" then all you need to do is mod your rifle a little bit. To use standard AK mags, install a bullet guide into the top of the trunnion, and if you're really adventurous or cheap, crappy black pipe cut down works...

I have heard of others that needed mag wells hogged out, and some that had issues with the mag stabilizers, etcetera, but I actually haven't seen such animals, but I don't get out much either....

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I found this website very useful when I was looking up Saiga's.
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/

I ended up getting the Inter Ordinance Ak-47 instead simply because I didn't want to deal w/ modding the Saiga. I got mine from Dan's at Gun Connection along with 4 other mdshooter members here.

The Lancaster ak-47's have also gotten favorable reviews. Just giving out other options besides just Saiga.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I highly recommend the Saiga 7.62x39.....its one of the favorite rifles in my collection. Its light because it has a synthetic stock but it packs a punch and very accurate @ 100 yds. Only downfall is Mags are hard to find for it. If you can get an AK, mags are plentiful and I think a forum member is selling 30rd mags for $14/ea for outside MD sales

As far as an AR.....right now its easier to build it then find one for sale it seems. You'll save some $$ on the side which you can use to accessorize. I built one of my KISS AR's for @ $650. I went to Zero it on Mon and I did very little right out of the box.

It wouldn't be too difficult to open that Saiga magwell up to take ak mags too :innocent0 :D:D

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    I found this website very useful when I was looking up Saiga's.
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/

I ended up getting the Inter Ordinance Ak-47 instead simply because I didn't want to deal w/ modding the Saiga. I got mine from Dan's at Gun Connection along with 4 other mdshooter members here.

The Lancaster ak-47's have also gotten favorable reviews. Just giving out other options besides just Saiga.

i went with a american ak, i do want a saiga, but in 12ga or .223. i like the saiga rifles but i didn't feel like fooling with conversions. i figured its best to just wait and get a true saiga that isn't 7.62.

i shot the IO AK and then a Saiga .223 right after eachother and the AK was :evilgrin3

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My understanding is that the Saiga conversion isnt to bad but the feedramp install takes some work beyond the kitchen table gunsmith to use standard AK mags.

As for regualted or unregulated it is a mess and they will have a hard time sorting it out. IF you can treat it as regulated you should just to avoid problems down the road (though this probably would be hard to prosecute alone). For example I thought a Sig 556 was regulated, but just had a dealer tell me it wasnt. Strange.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom