• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunasalad

Aug 27, 2013
    Is the Saiga .308 a regulated gun in Maryland?

I've done a little searching and it seems like it's up for debate, depending on the caliber.

If not, is there any paperwork required for a private sale? Can I just hand over some cash and drive off with the gun?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a total n00b.

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks everyone! It is regulated.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    A .308 Saiga is without a doubt regulated in Maryland. The usual debate is over the Saiga 12 / 20 / 410 shotguns. The law is clear that any AK action rifle is regulated, and the 308 is clearly a rifle. Converted or not, it's regulated in the state, and about to be banned.

Any purchase must go through the MSP or an FFL, you cannot purchase face-to-face without a background check.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    A .308 Saiga is without a doubt regulated in Maryland. The usual debate is over the Saiga 12 / 20 / 410 shotguns. The law is clear that any AK action rifle is regulated, and the 308 is clearly a rifle. Converted or not, it's regulated in the state, and about to be banned.

Any purchase must go through the MSP or an FFL, you cannot purchase face-to-face without a background check.

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I was hoping the same thing as you. I wanted a VEPR in 7.62x54r in the future and I figured since it was a different caliber... but sadly no. I will save up to buy a future Saiga or Vepr in 12 ga. in protest.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    But as long as you buy it before 10/1 with verified PO, you can still own after 10/1 and or take possession after 10/1

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Who would have thought that an AK action, regardless of caliber, is more dangerous than another firearm. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe some kid somewhere broke a finger in an AK action....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can easily buy it from your friend. Just do the transfer at any State Police Barracks. It's really very easy.

Having it "registered" this way at least proves that it's Grandfathered, too.

It's now or never. If you think you might want it, get it. You can always sell it out of state later.

Do you have at least two AR lowers? Get 'em quick. Also an M1A, maybe an AUG, an AK, and of course a Calico, a Terry, and a Nighthawk.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    So I ordered a Saiga 308 Hunterized rifle, any reason I can't convert it after 10/1 to its original beauty or scariness? :D

or a more generic question converting/modifying any legally owned rifle into a evil configuration post 10/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom