• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Looks good, BUT I don't get it. I love AK's and personally own a few. I do not own ar's and really don't care for em. The part with yours I don't get is why an AK in 5.56? I just don't get it. And don't take it the wrong way because I don't understand why people want ar's in 7.62x39 or 5.45 either. Why not stick to calibers intended for the platform? Just curious of your reasoning

1. id like to have a rifle in every one of the most common calibers...7.62x39, 5.56 and 5.45, and a .308 again at some point.

2. all of my friends are AR guys, and kept pressuring about building one...this was my compromise.

if you want .223 so bad buy an AR. OH CRAP HERE IT COMES. remember nemesis, im on your side! :D (nemesis is a closet AR fan. hell he probably works for daniel defense)

shhhh...dont give away my secrets like that.:lol2:

Brothers? :D

their pretty damn close, yet unique from one another. we need to go shooting sometime now that i think about it lol

I would love for mine to look like that. Maybe with time. Should be getting it in the next week or so.

damn....you're a ways away...well...if you are willing to drive to my location i can do alot of custom work for you. if you want, PM me and we can hammer some stuff out...

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Brothers? :D

DSC_2941.jpg

OOOOOH pointy things!! Nemesis you need a bayonet too!

Last edited:

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I have to ask though, is it weird that I actually like the grip on the saiga? Not saying I like it more than a regular one, but enough that I'm not sure that I want to do the full conversion. I know I want to changr some about it asthetically, but not sure how much yet...

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I have to ask though, is it weird that I actually like the grip on the saiga? Not saying I like it more than a regular one, but enough that I'm not sure that I want to do the full conversion. I know I want to changr some about it asthetically, but not sure how much yet...

Well my biggest thing with the montecarlo stock on them is its super poor quality. I dont blame them for putting them on there though because its cheap and they know people are going to just rip it off anyway.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Well my biggest thing with the montecarlo stock on them is its super poor quality. I dont blame them for putting them on there though because its cheap and they know people are going to just rip it off anyway.

Sorry, meant front grip, it's got a very different look that I kinda dig.

The one thing I'm sure about changing is the butt stock. I haven't decided whether I'm going to put a fixed one that's big enough for my 6' 2" frame, or a collapsible one that my 5'4" girlfriend can use. I kinda want to go for a desert tan style.

Also not sure whether I'm going to do the full movement of the trigger group, or just get one if the new pistol grip stocks actually designed for the saiga. Other than the increased options with stocks and pistol grips, are there any other real advantages to the conversion? Especially since I'm not going for a "classic ak" look.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Sorry, meant front grip, it's got a very different look that I kinda dig.

The one thing I'm sure about changing is the butt stock. I haven't decided whether I'm going to put a fixed one that's big enough for my 6' 2" frame, or a collapsible one that my 5'4" girlfriend can use. I kinda want to go for a desert tan style.

Also not sure whether I'm going to do the full movement of the trigger group, or just get one if the new pistol grip stocks actually designed for the saiga. Other than the increased options with stocks and pistol grips, are there any other real advantages to the conversion? Especially since I'm not going for a "classic ak" look.

standard AK FCGs are alot more tuneable and have a much better feel to them...thats about all i can think of.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    standard AK FCGs are alot more tuneable and have a much better feel to them...thats about all i can think of.

So I guess I'll just play with it a little to see if it's really worth the work.
    Mostly because I'm not especially mechanically inclined.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So I guess I'll just play with it a little to see if it's really worth the work.
    Mostly because I'm not especially mechanically inclined.

:lol:

Wrong thing to say in this forum krash, sorry, I had to... :D

Nem's done a pretty good job of tuning up the FCG's for his kalash's, so he may be a good source of info or person to polish it up some, his saiga is pretty good, of course I'm an AR shooter, so I can't call it spectacular. ;)

Nem - we knew that was going to happen at some point. :lol2:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    :lol:

Wrong thing to say in this forum krash, sorry, I had to... :D

Nem's done a pretty good job of tuning up the FCG's for his kalash's, so he may be a good source of info or person to polish it up some, his saiga is pretty good, of course I'm an AR shooter, so I can't call it spectacular. ;)

Nem - we knew that was going to happen at some point. :lol2:

lmao...well thats the best any AK shooter can hope for on this forum :lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sadly - that is true.

But yours make a great case that an AK's trigger CAN be improved, other's may be improved also, but your's I HAVE shot, and their getting closer and closer to a tuned AR's FCG everytime I shoot one.

Imitation is the sincerest form and all... :innocent0

:lol2:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Lmao this is true i guess...i still havent made it a sear type like an ar rather than the hook...when i do that you can call me a copycat lol

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    So what did you do to get this amazing trigger? just an aftermarket parts kit?

No its all custom work and parts. If you decide to come down for the conversion you can check them out...if you like it i can hook you up for a small fee since its a fair bit of work...wont be much though, just like 25 bucks

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    No its all custom work and parts. If you decide to come down for the conversion you can check them out...if you like it i can hook you up for a small fee since its a fair bit of work...wont be much though, just like 25 bucks

Sounds good to me. I guess I'll end up doin this derned conversion anyway...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wonder how long it'll hold up to the quick mag changes...

It's an interesting change from that grey, your becoming more and more like an AR guy Nem, constantly changing your rig up....:innocent0

:D

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    awesome paint job, OD is my favorite color on firearms. Great work man! Great gun!

I wonder how long it'll hold up to the quick mag changes...

It's an interesting change from that grey, your becoming more and more like an AR guy Nem, constantly changing your rig up....:innocent0

:D

there will be no non-ruskie speed reloads done with this AK, that will be true for the SGL if i ever repaint it as well...lol

also...its not changing, it just isint done yet :lol2:

still to come, leupold optics, MI side mount, and a black pistol grip (same type though)...oh, and its own bipod so i dont have to borrow it off of the SGL as well (yea, the grip and side mount are off the SGL lol...)

edit: oh yea, and the BHO is installed and works great...i cut down the tab so it does not get in the way of the trigger...when holding the bolt the tab is flush with the reciever, when its not it only hangs down about 1/8" as you can see in the second pic.

Attachments

• s223x6.jpg
      s223x6.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 176
    • s223x7.jpg
      s223x7.jpg
      160.3 KB · Views: 183

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members