• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    I've had a Saiga for years and tried all the tricks of the trade to get it to be more than a single shot shot gun. Anyone know of a gunsmith somewhat local to Annapolis that's familiar with the Saiga gas system and can get it to run properly ?

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    What have you done? Single shot with all ammo or only the weakest low recoil target shot? Mine would cycle anything down to 3dram 1-1/8oz 7-1/2 shot bulk stuff. (yes, 7-1/2 made a difference, wouldn't do 8 shot even with the same specs.) If you don't plan to shot much high brass stuff, they make reduced power recoil springs that should fix you up too.

Sherman

Nov 5, 2017
    I got an auto gas plug for mine and it worked pretty well with basic rem target loads and maybe some low power loads, but i cant remember exactly which low power loads cause it's been awhile since i shot it.

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Once upon a time Saiga offered a 5 position gas adjustment plug that replaced the standard 2 position plug. This was supposed to solve the low brass cycling issue. Good luck.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If this is one of the early saigas where quality control was hit and miss, definitely have a gunsmith go over it.

Saigas did a poor job on the gas ports.

4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Thanks for all the replies guys, it has the 5 position adjustable gas plug and some type of gas puck. It's been so long I can't remember but what ever they had aftermarket accessories gas system wise I bought it. I tried every type of shell I could run through it with no success. I think i remember reading that the actual gas ports need to be drilled but i looked at them and look way to small for me. It's been in the back of the safe for a few years while I tinkered with other things.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks for all the replies guys, it has the 5 position adjustable gas plug and some type of gas puck. It's been so long I can't remember but what ever they had aftermarket accessories gas system wise I bought it. I tried every type of shell I could run through it with no success. I think i remember reading that the actual gas ports need to be drilled but i looked at them and look way to small for me. It's been in the back of the safe for a few years while I tinkered with other things.
    Did you try all settings?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Be cautious with a drill and the gas ports. It's too easy to make holes bigger, but making them smaller, not so much.

I've worked on four Saiga 12's and, IIRC, they were roughly 2009 vintage guns. When was yours produced? Since you describe them as single shot, that makes me "guess' they are undergassed. When you fire, where does the spent hull land? Does it clear the gun? If so, how far away from you does it land? These are clues regarding the gas situation.

My guns were undergassed from the factory, so, even a wide-open gas plug didn't deliver enough oomph to do the job, especially with skeet loads. I could fire slugs and mags, but I wanted them to eat everything.

I ended up having the bolt-carrier group machined (profiled and polished) to make them run more smoothly with less friction, plus I opened up the gas ports in the barrel, (three ports in the 19" barrel guns, two ports in the 22" barrel guns) and ended up being slightly over-gassed.

Let's understand your current condition BEFORE picking up a drill or a Dremel. Putting metal back is not an option.

All of my Saiga 12's run like Swiss watches. It took careful consideration before chopping things up.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Scott's Gunsmithing did some great Saiga work back when they were all the rage. I'm sure he could fix up whatever is ailing it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Scott's Gunsmithing did some great Saiga work back when they were all the rage. I'm sure he could fix up whatever is ailing it.

Scott's did mine took a little bit to loosen up but now it runs just fine on everything down to bird loads. Really nice conversion.

4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Be cautious with a drill and the gas ports. It's too easy to make holes bigger, but making them smaller, not so much.

I've worked on four Saiga 12's and, IIRC, they were roughly 2009 vintage guns. When was yours produced? Since you describe them as single shot, that makes me "guess' they are undergassed. When you fire, where does the spent hull land? Does it clear the gun? If so, how far away from you does it land? These are clues regarding the gas situation.

My guns were undergassed from the factory, so, even a wide-open gas plug didn't deliver enough oomph to do the job, especially with skeet loads. I could fire slugs and mags, but I wanted them to eat everything.

I ended up having the bolt-carrier group machined (profiled and polished) to make them run more smoothly with less friction, plus I opened up the gas ports in the barrel, (three ports in the 19" barrel guns, two ports in the 22" barrel guns) and ended up being slightly over-gassed.

Let's understand your current condition BEFORE picking up a drill or a Dremel. Putting metal back is not an option.

All of my Saiga 12's run like Swiss watches. It took careful consideration before chopping things up.
    Great advice, it's been a while since I've shot it, I feel like it had failure to eject but I'm not positive. Perhaps I need to take it out one more time, document the ejection and then let Scott's take a look.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Great advice, it's been a while since I've shot it, I feel like it had failure to eject but I'm not positive. Perhaps I need to take it out one more time, document the ejection and then let Scott's take a look.
    I hope I am being helpful.

At your next range session, bring along a variety of shells with a range of power. Most S12's should shoot 1 oz, 2 3/4" slugs. Also bring along some skeet loads with 1 1/8 oz of lead pushed by 2 3/4 dram equivalent of powder. These should be the least likely to cycle the gun. If you can't cycle 3" magnum slugs, she's really undergassed. Take good notes (what you're shooting, the plug setting, and where the hulls land) and maybe even shoot some cellphone video.

4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    I hope I am being helpful.

At your next range session, bring along a variety of shells with a range of power. Most S12's should shoot 1 oz, 2 3/4" slugs. Also bring along some skeet loads with 1 1/8 oz of lead pushed by 2 3/4 dram equivalent of powder. These should be the least likely to cycle the gun. If you can't cycle 3" magnum slugs, she's really undergassed. Take good notes (what you're shooting, the plug setting, and where the hulls land) and maybe even shoot some cellphone video.
    Absolutely helpful. In hindsight this seems to be the best course of action and i'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of it before I posted.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Absolutely helpful. In hindsight this seems to be the best course of action and i'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of it before I posted.
    Don't sweat the things you didn't do right out of the box. We all start out excited by our new acquisition and optimistic it will work just fine right out of the box...then reality sets in. I'm here to try and help, and leave judgements to your family!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Scott's did mine took a little bit to loosen up but now it runs just fine on everything down to bird loads. Really nice conversion.
    I have a Chad special SBS as well. Runs great with birdshot when you configure the plug and the puck for maximum gas.

PTM76

Oct 30, 2007
    I don't know if Tac-47 is in business still, but I bought their auto-gas plug and its never given me problems.

Some Early saigas didn't have enough gas ports in the barrel.

What barrel length and what year did you buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom