• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The decision sequence is out order.

If you are catagorically distrustful of striker fired pistols, you shouldn't buy a striker fired pistol ( other than purely range toy ).

There are a boatload of fine traditional DA/SA autopistols available, you should own one.

This too ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The section quoted by Pinecone is in no way a diss on anyone, nor implying an inferior option . I *LIKE* DA Revolvers, and my two currently most frequent carry semiautos are both traditional DA/SA, and I think they are the bee's knees.

Just pointing out there are effective tools of several flavors, and everyone should make selections to suit their personal preferences and biases, rather than delibertly place themselves outside their druthers and comfort.

I severely dislike .380's as a class, but am comfortable occasionally carrying a SA revolver. But I'll only try to so encourage anyone else thusly good naturedly over a cold beverage.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    I don't have a problem trusting it or myself. I want to know what the correct way is to use my equipment in the safest way it was designed to be used.
    I'm just asking for advice here.

This is a training issue, not a gun issue.

Find the Industry Partners section on the main page of the forum.

Scroll down to the Firearms Training.

Take a class from one of the instructors to learn how to safely handle and shoot your firearm. The peace of mind and the confidence in the skill you acquire will be money well spent.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The reason I thought of holstering while at the night stand was to protect the trigger and keep humidity off the gun. Not to wear it to bed.

Unless Obama once slept in your bed and you've just hired a couple of Russian babes to do the Trump dance on the bed,:sad20: a holster isn't going to help; ordinary humidity goes everywhere.:lol2:

I use a mattress holster. It fits between the mattress and the box spring and has non slip strips so it doesn't slide out.

We always return the gun to the gun safe every morning, even though we don't expect the grand kids but once in awhile. When they are old enough to be interested in sleeping over, we will look at handgun lock boxes.

Attachments

• matrress.jpg
      matrress.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 140

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    The French MAS 36 bolt action rifle of WWII doesn't even have a safety!!!!! These same questions come up about the old trusty 1911. Carry it empty chamber, carrying it chambered, cocked, and safety on, etc., etc., etc. Remember the 1911 has the grip safety and the thumb safety....and the 80 series have a firing pin block safety. You really have to try hard to shoot yourself with the 1911 if you are experienced with it. I have absolutely no problems with the Glock safety trigger.

Is this kind of like should you carry your car key in your pocket, or should you leave it in the ignition? After all cars are dangerous too! Yeah I know that's stupid.

The Colt single is another revolver talked about. The savy carrying it with 5 rounds in the cylinder and hammer down on the empty chamber. Back in the day many of cowboy shot their leg or horse riding by a tree branch and the branch cocking the hammer back almost to full cock. Remember metallurgy wasn't so great back then and that so called safety notch didn't work.

One of the most dangerous pistols, in my mind, the Luger use to have a grip safety, but it was eventually eliminated. Hey the Luger was/is a striker fired pistol!!!!

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    My bed gun is a .357 Mag Ruger SP101 in a pistol vault within arms reach when I'm laying down. That gun is really only to let me get across the room to where my 870 is stored. Then I can hand off the Ruger to the wife while I and two very large, very vocal dogs can proceed to clear the house after ensuring that my 10 year old son is safely deposited with his mother in my room. With a Surefire fore end and seven rounds of #4 buckshot plus a full reload I feel fairly secure every night.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Recently, my son and I just started doing a lot of plinking with handguns.
    I have 2 questions and I guess I'll start with this one.
    I have a Sig p320. So it's striker fired. It doesn't have a de-cocker. It has a capacity of 13+1. When in battery, I feel uneasy about holstering.
    My question is should I not chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot or should I be doing something different?

I've often read that the cause of NGs is nearly always the bugger-hook safety and believe this to be true. Holster obstructions can also be the culprit when holstering and various handgun designs may be more vulnerable to it.

Firearm safety rule #1 (depending on source and era), is my favorite: "Treat every gun as if it is loaded." If I follow this rule, a round is always chambered. Or stated differently, with rule #1 applied, condition really shouldn't impact my comfort level, because the handgun is always ready to fire, even when it isn't ... :)

I agree wholeheartedly with the training advice posted above. However, try to never become "soooo trained & competent" that you become complacent. The YouTubes are overflowing with videos of very experienced and skilled gun handlers who became too complacent and are now immortalized on the interwebz with a NG and a flesh wound. Always keep trigger finger discipline in mind, especially when holstering, and especially once you're no longer uneasy about holstering your striker-fire handgun in condition 1. Some posts here might seem cavalier (e.g., my trigger finger is my safety), but they're really not. Those posts are basically just stating the same importance of trigger finger discipline, but in a more concise way.

Unless being long-term stored or transported, my working handguns are in condition 1, whether equipped with manual safeties or not. Since I'm going to follow rule #1 anyway, I keep them in a more ready condition. When holstering or re-holstering the various designs (even my beloved triple-safe 1911s), I take special care to make sure my holster is clear and remains clear throughout the holstering process. This applies even more at the range or during training, as spent cases (in addition to flaps of clothing, twigs, gravel, & etc.) may have found their way into my holster. Yes, this slows me down on some drills, particularly "Blaster drills:D", where I draw, fire only 1 or 2 rounds, re-holster, and repeat until Mrs. GNR rings the dinner bell or my rotator cuff begins to sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom