• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The safe guy in Frederick sells Summit. They seem to be a good safe. I think they run $2000 - $4000 depending on what you get.

They are built by the Heritage safe people and the Summit name is just painted on the door.

Very importantly, Summit was organized by business owners who sell safes, for the express purpose of offering better product than what those business owners can buy through standard distribution channels. That's why the name of the company is Summit Business Association.

Regardless, when you buy a safe, you are mainly buying the door. Forget fancy paint. Forget gimmicky doodads. Buy the best door, security, and fire ratings you can afford with the cheapest paint and no other options.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Over the years I have owned a few safes in my business-go with a better mechanical combo lock-never electronic or time locks. I have one safe that is lower value safe with a mechanical lock that is over 70 years old works like a charm every time. IMHO Chris

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Blue Dot has always been synonymous with garbage in the professional safe and vault industry. It is possible that they have begun importing a better grade of refuse, however.

Those I know with their high security models have not said anything but good things about them. I realize they aren't quite as well made as some other brands, but the prices are lower. Again, no idea about other models.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Very importantly, Summit was organized by business owners who sell safes, for the express purpose of offering better product than what those business owners can buy through standard distribution channels. That's why the name of the company is Summit Business Association.

Regardless, when you buy a safe, you are mainly buying the door. Forget fancy paint. Forget gimmicky doodads. Buy the best door, security, and fire ratings you can afford with the cheapest paint and no other options.

Any chance they are working for higher quality fast-access safes? The limitation of many of the affordable models are substantial, and the DOJ has made this worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Wzt0vJvOI

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

From what I can tell the summit safe look like good safes. And I know that they sales pitch the people connected with the Summit Business Association give you. The thing is the Summit Business Association makes nothing. Everything is contracted out. Often with price of manufacturing in mind to maximize profit margin.

Next month the Summit Business Association could decide there is more money to be made making umbrellas and stop making safes. I think it was 6 or so years ago the Summits safes were made by yet another safe manufacture before they went to Heritage safe company. I assume the other company raised their price and the a Summit Business Association got a better deal with Heritage safe Co. But for the last hand full of years the Summits safes have been made by the Haritage Safe Company that also makes a very good safe.

I'm just saying if Heritage safe company makes Summit safes, I rather just buy a Heritage safe because they are never making umbrellas.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm just saying if Heritage safe company makes Summit safes, I rather just buy a Heritage safe because they are never making umbrellas.

Rule #1: When you buy a safe, you are mainly buying the door. Do not spend good money on a safe until you know what to look for or find a trustworthy safe expert to quickly teach you. There's a good reason why Summit exists. It's not about profit. It's about prevention of unwise cost cutting for the sake of manufacturers being able to report increased margins to stockholders. If more manufacturers had less greed, then Summit would cease to exist. If you think Summit safes are simply re-branded price markups (like mattresses), then you are mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom