• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Saw this at Aldi last night in Rehoboth. (I was more excited to see this than running into the ex-GF at Aldi)

I didn't see this on the Aldi website so not sure if all stores have them.

They are desiccant boxes which you plug in to dry out then put into your gun safe. Similar if not the same as Eva-Dry (what I have) units. Amazon product ASIN B000H0XFCS
    I keep one of these along with a Golden Rod in mine and have no issues with moisture.

As with all Adli Finds get on it ASAP as they won't restock these.

PXL_20230626_202834259.jpg

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    YMMV... I have one of those and Stack-on brand one that tractor supply normally has in stock. The stack-on one goes about a week before it is saturated if you believe the color changing indicator. The Aldi one never seems to indicate it is saturated, I have left in outside in high humidity for a week straight and only then did it ever so slightly change color. Not sure if that is an indicator of how 'good' it is working or not working. just my experience having one, nothing more or less. Those show up at Aldi a couple times a year.

UNCLE PAULY

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Aug 5, 2013
    Adit, like you I run a golden rod in my safe and keep the rechargeable decant in there as an extra for the hot humid summer months. With the golden rod working I can go a month before plugging in the decant to dry out.

That’s a nice price for anyone needing one or more.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I've used one for about 2 years in my safe and have never had a single speck of rust on anything since. Before, I would do a quarterly check and find a few towards the back that would sometimes get a small amount of surface rust (never damaged), but nothing since. Plug it in once a month to dry it out, or as needed...and it works exactly as intended.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    I bought several sets and rotate them as needed. Have been working great. I also have several bluetooth temp/humidity monitors to keep track.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't have that brand, but I do have one in my safe. Works pretty good. Then again, my safe is also in a humidity controlled basement. Generally the highest humidity the room will see is around 58% in the summer time. And the safe sits on a 1/8" piece of closed cell foam to prevent direct contact with the concrete. Plus the floor is sealed too. Winter time it ranges more in the low 40% humidity range in the basement without any humidity control. The only times rust has been any kind of an issue was a Yugo 70 that barrel (in the white) rusted up, but I think that was a combo of it getting real humid/damp shooting it one morning at the range in about 100% humidity conditions with the barrel naked of any oil. I put it away and a couple of weeks later it was almost jammed up with surface rust. An hour in boiling water (just the barrel, the rest of the gun was fine) and light steel wool both cleaned it up and converted it. That and reloading dies sometimes get just a little bit of browning on them. That there I think is more of a fingerprint oil issue, not a humidity issue.

Anyway, when I was keeping the humidity a little higher at around 62-63% (humidifier set to 60%) the desiccant pack would turn green in about a months time. At 55-58% range it stays now in the summer it might be green by the end of the summer. I usually recharge it about 3 times a year. Twice in the warm season, once in the winter. A lot of the desiccant packs aren't going to absorb much moisture once the relative humidity starts getting into the 50% range. And just keep in mind, they remove humidity slowly and not much of it. One of those packs might remove 1-2oz of moisture, which if perfectly sealed might take the humidity down by 30-40% in a large safe. IF it was sealed. Since it isn't...

My bit of testing using a smart temp/humidity sensor is having it in the safe reduces the humidity level about 2-3% versus the sensor sitting on top of the safe. Less as the humidity level gets lower (doesn't do much of anything in the winter time, summer time it seems to keep it around 55% when it is 57-58% in the room). I would imagine if the RH was sitting in the upper 60s it would probably do a lot more. But also probably get saturated in a matter of days or a week.

Last edited:

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Thanks for posting this. I have 4 or 5 in a large safe, but can always justify having a few more on hand.

My only advice to everyone is to monitor them when you are renewing them (plugging them in). They get warm and I’ve seen several posts on Amazon relating to fires. Just be careful with them and don’t leave them unattended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom