• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Hope this helps. Sometimes I fear I confuse topics more than I clear them up.

Surely you jest? These summaries are extremely helpful to me, anyway. I just don't have the time or energy to stay on top of all these nuances, and rely on the experts to translate them into English that mere mortals can follow.

Bryan

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    This is from docket #19.
    Maryland Public Safety Code § 5-306(a)(5)(ii)’s requirement that handgun carry
    permit applicants demonstrate “good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such . . . that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger,” violates the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, damaging Plaintiffs in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1983. Plaintiffs are therefore entitled to permanent injunctive relief against the enforcement of this provision.

The Heart of the matter is "the right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms" is a fundamental right.
    The 2A is enumerated thru the 14th Ammendaments "Due Process clause", the Opinion of Alito is Substantive Due Process. Judicial review of substantive due process violations, When a law or other act of government is challenged as a violation of individual liberty under the Due Process Clause, courts nowadays primarily use two forms of scrutiny, or judicial review.
    This inquiry balances the importance of the governmental interest being served and the appropriateness of the government's method of implementation against the resulting infringement of individual rights.
    If the governmental action infringes upon a fundamental right, the highest level of review—strict scrutiny—is used.

In order to pass strict scrutiny review, the law or act must be narrowly tailored to further a compelling government interest.

Ultimate Member
    Maryland Public Safety Code § 5-306(a)(5)(ii)’s requirement that handgun carry requirement “good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such . . . that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger”

reason, how about my state is filled with democrats that can't seem to stop committing crimes, breaking in to houses and robbing people. Other reason, our idiot governor is calling my state, "Casa de Maryland" and encouraging illegal aliens and foreign drug gangs to come operate in my state.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    reason, how about my state is filled with democrats that can't seem to stop committing crimes, breaking in to houses and robbing people. Other reason, our idiot governor is calling my state, "Casa de Maryland" and encouraging illegal aliens and foreign drug gangs to come operate in my state.
    :thumbsup:

I like that argument and statement, but not sure If the judge would.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I agree wholeheartly with this in docket number 19

Maryland Public Safety Code § 5-306(a)(5)(ii)’s requirement that handgun carry
    permit applicants demonstrate cause for the issuance of a permit impermissibly classifies
    individuals with respect to the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right. The provision creates two classification of individuals. Applicants who have demonstrated to Defendants’ satisfaction that a handgun carry permit is “necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger,” or that they face a greater than average level of danger, are given permits;applicants who cannot satisfy that burden are not given permits. The classification system is inherently arbitrary, irrational, and deprives individuals of their fundamental right to bear arms based on criteria that cannot be justified under any means-ends level of scrutiny for the security of a fundamental constitutional right. The provision thus violates Plaintiffs’ Fourteenth
    Amendment right to equal protection of the law, damaging them in violation of 42 U.S.C. §
    1983. Plaintiffs are therefore entitled to permanent injunctive relief against the enforcement of
    this provision.

edit: I found this very interesting....http://www.defraudingamerica.com/civil_rights_act.html

Last edited:

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    I give up, nothing they're doing makes sense...

Mark, thanks for that candid thought about the defendants.

Maybe they are in complete and utter denial?
    Maybe they knew this has been coming over the last 2 decades and the day is close?
    Maybe Gansler told them their goose was cooked when the case was filed?
    Maybe they still live in MambyPamby land and have no clue it's really a firm possibility and thought it would get tossed out on a quickly granted MTD?

I'll go with your thought of the of the Kahr or Ruger LC9 during warm weather...but it's going to be 1911 during colder weather.

Patrick, thanks for the 2 step analysis. It keeps us grounded.

If the Honorable Judge Motz were a known anti-gun grabber type, we would probably see the writing on the wall? I guess only he [Motz] has a true inkling which way this thing is truly going to fall.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I think it's just more kicking the can down the road. Avoid, deny, obfuscate.

At this point there is nothing for the SAF to reply to. The affirmative defenses put forward by the state are essentially the ones that were already ruled upon.

Another MSJ will force a real response from our state. Right now there is no risk of a ruling on the complaint. An MSJ is a request to rule. It is coming. Should MD fail to artfully respond to the MSJ, they will lose.

So MD is keeping their cards close to their vest. OK. We'll see them soon.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but what kind of time frame do you think we are looking at 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months...

Sounds like 2-3 years. :sad20:

From one of our resident experts...

The 2.5-3 year number comes from the following assumption, I'm assuming...

Woollard at the District, finalized NLT July '11. Appeal to Circuit.

Visit at 4th Circuit lasts 9-12 months. Apr - July '12.

The SCOTUS Oct11 Term will be wrapping up June '12. Summer Vacation.

SCOTUS OCT12 Term commences Oct '12 (I think). A Woollard case would not have gotten in early on this time line, figure a Winter '13 Oral, Spring-Summer '13 Opinion.

That is all worse case, taking up to 2 1/2 yrs. Whether it is Woollard or any of the other Carry cases going all the way (Peruta excepted).

Other Scenario's:
    - SAF Wins at the District, no appeal from MD. Carry this Summer. Don't laugh, it could happen...
    - SAF Loses at District, or SAF Wins & MD appeals, we're off to the Circuit that wrote Chester. SAF Win at Circuit, no MD appeal to SCOTUS. Carry Spring/Summer '12
    - Peruta sails through the 9th Circuit this year, appealed to SCOTUS and makes it in time for the OCT11 SCOTUS term (the only way I see getting a Carry case to SCOTUS this early)...we'll be carrying Nationally in Summer '12.
    Palmer...nah.

Sometime between Summer '11 (MD Only) and Summer '13 (Nationally)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but what kind of time frame do you think we are looking at 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months...

If you are talking about a substantive reply to this stage of the case, we are probably in the 2-3 month timeframe. That assumes the SAF updates their MSJ from last year in the next few weeks and gets it out, followed by the customary delay for a defendant to respond.

Maryland will ask for another extension. Maybe this time Hansel/Gura tell them to stick it. To this day Maryland has never substantively responded to the claims. It's been half a year now.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    If you are talking about a substantive reply to this stage of the case, we are probably in the 2-3 month timeframe. That assumes the SAF updates their MSJ from last year in the next few weeks and gets it out, followed by the customary delay for a defendant to respond.

Maryland will ask for another extension. Maybe this time Hansel/Gura tell them to stick it. To this day Maryland has never substantively responded to the claims. It's been half a year now.

It is difficult to tell about the time frame or how Gansler will respond.
    Is there any insight into how Judge Frederic Motz might rule? Understand
    the affermative defense doesn't mean much. The only ruling I could see
    is ruling on the Bear outside the home part which doesn't have any precident
    other that the language from McDonald case.

From McDonald page 20 :Thus, we concluded, citizens must be permitted “to use [handguns] for the core lawful purpose of self-defense.”

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA
    From Wiki:

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Motz received an A.B. from Wesleyan University in 1964 and an LL.B. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1967. He was a law clerk, Hon. Harrison L. Winter, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit from 1967 to 1968. He was in private practice in Baltimore, Maryland from 1968 to 1969. He was an assistant U.S. Attorney of the District of Maryland from 1969 to 1971. He was in private practice in Baltimore, Maryland from 1971 to 1981. He was a U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland from 1981 to 1985. His wife, Diana Motz, sits on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Motz is a federal judge on the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Motz was nominated by President Ronald Reagan on April 23, 1985, to a new seat created by 98 Stat. 333. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on July 11, 1985, and received his commission on July 12, 1985. He served as chief judge from 1994-2001.

He's not a Carter appointee, which is a plus.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    Did I read that correctly? His wife sits at the 4th circuit?I could only imagine the conversation at the dinner table if he rules in favor of the state and she rules in favor of us.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Per this article, Motz still claims Republican. When he took a "retirement" to become a senior judge in the District, he said of the opening he was going to create in 2009, "One shouldn't hold on until one's party gets put in office."

He was talking about the fact Obama would be naming his successor.

On an interesting side note, his wife is a Circuit Judge in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond. And no...she would not hear appeals of his cases.

Reading comments about him on a few sites, some see him as a shill for corporate America and the right. One commenter claimed that he acted as if he needed "to offset every liberal on the Maryland District Court bench before he retires."

That said, I wouldn't put much stock in the blather. He might be a tad more conservative, but after all these years of working the bench he has moved up in the system. That implies he tries to be true to the law more often than not. He is unlikely a shill for either side in this case. That's good news, because we are one with the constitution here. A fair evaluation of the law is all we need.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Did I read that correctly? His wife sits at the 4th circuit?I could only imagine the conversation at the dinner table if he rules in favor of the state and she rules in favor of us.

I'm not sure but I'd think she may have to recuse herself from any case her husband hears.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I've been trying to find out more about J. Motz as well...nothing jumps out that pins him as someone with an agenda, nothing that suggests he leans left or right. In all honest its a crap shoot.

I'd seen that before about his wife being on the 4th and that is true: http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/JudgesBio/judgesmain.htm

"IF" this goes to the 4th, she would undoubtedly recuse herself...at least I would hope so.

Where will he fall? He DID deny the States MTD and gave SAF an opportunity to polish up the Equal Protection claim :thumbsup::thumbsup:...and after Peruta, that probably means we're screwed royally. :tdown::tdown:

Other 2A junkies will recall Judge Gonzalez's beautiful, pro-2A ruling on a MTD a year ago, only to ultimately rule against us last December...2 stepping all the way. This stuff is harder to predict than a roulette wheel. Who knows?

I'm positive....

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    See the CATO's forum from 1/20/2011. http://wwww.c-spanvideo.org/program/297621-1

This is an eye opener. All should watch this. Nelson Lund and Alan Morrison really took a lot of shots at Scalia's reasoning and approach worded in both Heller and McDonald.
    Both make comments as too Scalia's opinion. 1st they comment he didn't approach his statements as a fundametalist. 2. He failed to enlighten the full scope of the RKBA.
    Lund went so far to say Scalia's arguments were full of falacy and absurdity's.
    3. Scalia didn't codify what "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, meant.
    Rightfully so, Gura states the orginal intent is right is inside and outside the home. Nothing he see as orginal intent that 2A in only inside the home. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom