Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Briefing Schedule established in Woollard in the 4th Circuit

Appendix due: 05/29/2012
    Opening brief due: 05/29/2012
    Response brief due: 07/02/2012

Thanks for the update.

I don't know all the legal implications, but I really like that line about no time extensions outside of extraordinary circumstances.

I'm not a patient man.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    What are the chances that the court will screen the appeal for decision using Local Rule 34(a). And if they do so, would this mean that there would be no oral arguments and they would just hand out their decision?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    What are the chances that the court will screen the appeal for decision using Local Rule 34(a). And if they do so, would this mean that there would be no oral arguments and they would just hand out their decision?

Virtually zero in this sort of case. Oral argument will be held.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Were there orals in District? I don't remember there being any....if not is the virtual guarantee of oral arguments a function/right of appellate arguments?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Were there orals in District? I don't remember there being any....if not is the virtual guarantee of oral arguments a function/right of appellate arguments?

Was there oral argument in the district court? yes, on the summary judgment motions. Doesn't look like it on the stay motion. Discretionary with the district court. Oral argument in the courts of appeals is up to the court. In the CA4, oral argument is the rule, rather than the exception, especially in an important case. This case qualifies as important. I would be amazed if they didn't hold oral argument.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Yes, Patrick was there for them. The synopsis thereof is somewhere in this thread.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Was there oral argument in the district court? yes, on the summary judgment motions. Doesn't look like it on the stay motion. Discretionary with the district court. Oral argument in the courts of appeals is up to the court. In the CA4, oral argument is the rule, rather than the exception, especially in an important case. This case qualifies as important. I would be amazed if they didn't hold oral argument.

Got it thanks. They had a teleconference for part of the stay motion...guess that doesn't count? lol

In case there is any doubt on this: Oral argument is *good* thing.

That's kinda what I thought.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Shouldn't we be finding out who are Panel is going to be pretty soon?

Last time I was in the 4th (admittedly a while ago), I didn't find out until the morning of the argument. Not sure what the procedure is now. I'll find out.

edit: I can confirm, that hasn't changed.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    It'll be a busy month for those kids at the AG's office. Two briefs due a week apart, and one an appeal. It's the kind of thing that seems...exceptional, to me.

I'm just egging everyone on at this point. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom