• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

vernon

Jan 30, 2010
    How will this work for Va resident. I already have CCW for Va and Fl or will MD honor these permits? f not can I apply for a non-resident permit?

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    How will this work for Va resident. I already have CCW for Va and Fl or will MD honor these permits? f not can I apply for a non-resident permit?

The laws of reciprocity do not exist in MD. There are however a couple of bills proposed in the last legislative session that address this topic. A quick search will find them in the forum.

Yes, you can apply for CCW in MD even if you are not a resident.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The ruling had nothing to do with reciprocity for permit holders. As has been mentioned, non-residents can apply.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    As it stands, unless the law is changed, Maryland HAS to issue a non-resident permit. The law does not differentiate and without good and substantial.......it'll be like CT, UT, VA, FL etc.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    The laws of reciprocity do not exist in MD. There are however a couple of bills proposed in the last legislative session that address this topic. A quick search will find them in the forum.

Yes, you can apply for CCW in MD even if you are not a resident.

As of yesterday I was going to apply for MD...but then i was reminded of HB256...

which is more likely to be successful?

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    As of yesterday I was going to apply for MD...but then i was reminded of HB256...

which is more likely to be successful?

I will let the experts on here take that on. I personally don't see anything pro gun getting through in this state. Remember that Judiciary processes not legislative processes gave us the victory yesterday.

Just my .02

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Folks, I strongly suggest you take a look at the MSI website before things are changed. There are some things over there that will be gone once their techies get a chance to update them. One major thing is the FAQ page where it talks about G&S. Take a minute to reflect on what the site reads now and how it is going to read in the future.

What is required to get a carry permit in the state of Maryland?

An application must be submitted to the Maryland State Police (MSP) along with a non-refundable $127.25 fee. The applicant must show a “good and substantial” reason why he or she needs to carry a weapon, but ultimately the choice to issue the permit is at the discretion of the MSP. The application is available here:

Is self defense considered a “good and substantial reason”?

No, the MSP has decided that, absent prior documented threats (for example previous police reports) individual or family self defense is not considered good and substantial.

Is “good and substantial” defined in the law?

No. The lack of an objective definition of “good and substantial” has been noted by the MSP and by the General Assembly in previous testimony. This leads to arbitrary decisions by the MSP in the absence of any further guidance.

Just a few examples of things that are gonna be a changing soon! Thank you SAF and MSI for all your hard work.

Where are you guys getting $127.25 fee? On the permit it says $75 to MSP and $37.25 for the prints to whomever takes them.

What am I missing?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Where are you guys getting $127.25 fee? On the permit it says $75 to MSP and $37.25 for the prints to whomever takes them.

What am I missing?

$37.25 is for the background check.

dont know if they including the photo and finger printing price what not.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    Just for fun I decided to send an email to the licensing division over at MSP to see if I get a response. I am sure it will not be replied to but it did give me a giggle when I sent it.

To: Licensing@mdsp.org

Sir/Ma’am,

I am writing to inquire about the process changes now that U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg has ruled G&S to be unconstitutional. Are concealed carry handgun permits being issued now as shall issue or are we still under the same may issue policy requiring a good and substantial reason to be not disapproved?

Thank you for you assistance in this matter,
    James C Barrow

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    I met with Del. Dwyer today and he is serious about the issue. So is Smigiel. I'd say send note of your application to them and to MSI.

We are going to track these. We intend to compile a small DB of statuses for future use in potential amicus briefs, etc. And if someone pops and asks the question, "Hey, who do we know who falls under this condition...", we will have ready access to a pool of people. Remember that Ray Woollard was originally found via this forum. We would obviously contact you directly before ever considering a release of personal info. Think of it as a judicial match-making service. ;)

Question
    If we file and are denied they keep the cash and I'm fine with that(for Now). I after we are denied and the appeals process is completed and we win again. Would we be able to do a class action type of case against the state along with anyone who has also been denied in say the past 5 years for these funds, since the never should have been denied in the first place?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I think you'll get a reply. Just let us know when you get it.

I still don't think Maryland's going to suddenly capitulate. Could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Would we be able to do a class action type of case against the state along with anyone who has also been denied in say the past 5 years for these funds, since the never should have been denied in the first place?

VERY good question.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom