• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Strict Scrutiny was applied:

You all are reading too fast. Understandable.

Intermediate applies to those who are not law-abiding, per Chester. Because Ray is a law-abiding gentleman, his claims are elevated to strict scrutiny.

Finally, Woollard‘s equal protection challenge is, in part, an effort to obtain review under a more stringent standard than the intermediate scrutiny the Court has already found to be appropriate.

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    Strict Scrutiny was applied:

You all are reading too fast. Understandable.

Intermediate applies to those who are not law-abiding, per Chester. Because Ray is a law-abiding gentleman, his claims are elevated to strict scrutiny.

Patrick, correct me if I'm wrong but you're quoting from Mr. Gura's MSJ (dated 2/18/11). In Judge Legg's Opinion (dated 3/2/12) he explicitly calls out Intermediate as the form of scrutiny he, as a judge in the 4th, is using to decide the case.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    What this means:

It is a big win. Hell, most of this looks like it would have come from a round-up of our postings.

The state will ask for a stay pending appeal. They would have to demonstrate a strong liklihood of success on the merits of their argument. Judge Legg looks as if he would not do this, as he calls this decision "simple".

The state will need to ask the Fourth Circuit for a stay pending appeal. The 4th will also use the same logic - whether the appeal is likely to succeed on the merits. That call will depend on the judge assigned to review the request - I think such reviews are initially done by a single judge.

Assuming no stay...lock and load your pens and line up for fingerprints!
    BADASS!

Wonder if it pays to download the app today, and get it ready to go, wait to hear "stay and appeal cert, denied."

I'll be walking into pikesville and handing off, in person. (I guess bending over ala Bart Simpson style, would be frowned upon).

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    Watch as see, the State is crying poor mouth and trying to raise taxes and fees as fast as they can. They won't think twice about spending Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars or even a Million or more to appeal and drag this out. They only love unconstitution rulings when they benefit their belief system. Clearly this UNCONSTITUTIONAL law/requirement of a good and substantial now has their panties in a wad.

State of Maryland CCW Permit - $124
    Legal Fees to Defend Marylands UNCONSTITUTIONAL Permit System - $500,000+
    To be a fly on the wall in Frosh's Office, O'Malley's Office and Gansler's Office - Priceless

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    So after last week in Maryland, The People can get married regardless of their gender and exercise their Second Amendment rights regardless of their political standing.

"The Free State" really is becoming free again....

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Patrick, correct me if I'm wrong but you're quoting from Mr. Gura's MSJ (dated 2/18/11). In Judge Legg's Opinion (dated 3/2/12) he explicitly calls out Intermediate as the form of scrutiny he, as a judge in the 4th, is using to decide the case.

I agree with this, as page 17 of the opinion says:
    ii. Intermediate Scrutiny

As stated, Maryland‘s permitting scheme, insofar as it requires a good and substantial‖ reason for a law-abiding citizen to carry a firearm outside his home, is subject to intermediate scrutiny. In order to prevail, the State must demonstrate that the challenged regulation is reasonably adapted to a substantial governmental interest. Under this standard, the degree of fit‖ between the regulation and ―the well-established goal of promoting public safety need not be perfect; it must only be substantial. Heller v. Dist. of Columbia, 698 F. Supp. 2d 179, 191 (D.D.C. 2010).

But I will take it. The only hiccup is this from pages 20-21:
    The Court wishes to emphasize the limits of this decision. While it finds Maryland‘s requirement that a permit applicant demonstrate good and substantial reason‖ to be unconstitutional, the Court does not address any of the State‘s other regulations relating to the possession and use of firearms, many of which would qualify as presumptively lawful. Nor does the Court speculate as to whether a law that required a good and substantial reason only of law-abiding citizens who wish to carry a concealed handgun would be constitutional.11 . . . .

n.11 Maryland law does not differentiate between open and concealed use, but some courts have held that states have a greater interest in reducing the number of concealed handguns because of their disproportionate involvement in life-threatening crimes of violence, particularly in streets and other public places. Peruta v. Cnty. of San Diego, 758 F. Supp. 2d 1106, 1117 (S.D. Cal. 2010).

We will have to see how this plays out in both the 4th Cir. and the MD Legislature (which is still in session, and I am 100% positive would have no trouble allowing new bills after the already passed deadlines). . . I am sure the legislature will come up with some sort of hurdle, possibly to even differentiate open v. concealed carry permits.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    So after last week in Maryland, The People can get married regardless of their gender and exercise their Second Amendment rights regardless of their political standing.

"The Free State" really is becoming free again....
    I'll double up on the :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

I would agree with this one -
    Judge Legg Opinion (page 9) said:
    Woollard‘s asserted right falls within this same category of non-core Second Amendment protection. He already enjoys an unchallenged right to possess a handgun in his home; but, like Masciandaro, he also seeks to carry one into the wider world for general self-defense. The statute he challenges, therefore, is properly viewed through the lens of intermediate scrutiny, which places the burden on the Government to demonstrate a reasonable fit between the statute and a substantial governmental interest. See Chester, 628 F.3d at 683.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA.... I am going to get my finger prints and application filled out today. I am willing to blow a $124 to first in line and take the chance the decision gets stayed. Might even head down the Rockville barracks today! Wonder how happy the MSP will be to see me.....?

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    My favorite section from the ruling so far:

"The Maryland statute‘s failure lies in the overly broad means by which it seeks to advance this undoubtedly legitimate end. The requirement that a permit applicant demonstrate ―good and substantial reason to carry a handgun does not, for example, advance the interests of public safety by ensuring that guns are kept out of the hands of those adjudged most likely to misuse them, such as criminals or the mentally ill. It does not ban handguns from places where the possibility of mayhem is most acute, such as schools, churches, government buildings, protest gatherings, or establishments that serve alcohol. It does not attempt to reduce accidents, as would a requirement that all permit applicants complete a safety course. It does not even, as some other States‘ laws do, limit the carrying of handguns to persons deemed ―suitable by denying a permit to anyone ―whose conduct indicates that he or she is potentially a danger to the public if entrusted with a handgun."

THAT right there is the kind of stuff we needed to see in a ruling. Way to go Judge Legg!

EDIT: Emphasis added by me

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads