• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Sort of.

Wollard is sueing for his permit. His permit thus becomes the relief he seeks from the court. He's not sueing for money or anything.

If this bill were to pass; the MSP could approve his permit, thus he gets the relief he seeks.

But since the bill is subjective about how the MSP may deny permits, they could approve his permit, then go back to denying.

So we would then have to go back to the beginning and resue.

Actually, part of the relief requested is striking the Good and Substantial requirement entirely. While the case is about Woollard and his permit (as-applied), all counsel acknowledge it is also more general (facial) than that.

Were the judge to grant the plaintiff prayer for relief, Maryland would be a Shall-Issue state at that time. At least until they came up with something else.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Actually, part of the relief requested is striking the Good and Substantial requirement entirely. While the case is about Woollard and his permit (as-applied), all counsel acknowledge it is also more general (facial) than that.

Were the judge to grant the plaintiff prayer for relief, Maryland would be a Shall-Issue state at that time. At least until they came up with something else.
    Could the judge rule in Woollard's favor, and fail to strike the G&S clause?

(This is a bit of a loaded question, because I'm sure that the argument and opinion could be manufactured to partially dismiss Woollard's case while granting just him relief, and thus starting the whole process all over again).

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    They can leverage legislature that rescinds the current CCW law.
    This is not the best solution, and is, in fact, no solution at all.

Please try to understand that WE NEED THE COURTS to strike down this requirement on Constitutional grounds.

If the legislature is given the opportunity to change the law by it's own volition and escape a verdict, there is NOTHING stopping it from changing it back again later. We lose all the ground we seem to have gained, and then some.

In other words, if we take the legislative handout as a solution, we forfeit our RIGHTS and can never win what is ours as Citizens.

This is the problem with HB 45. The intent is good, the method sucks.

As simple as that concept is, many folks seem to miss it and are eager to take whatever scraps our Masters will toss us, dragging everyone down with them.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD

Please try to understand that WE NEED THE COURTS to strike down this requirement on Constitutional grounds.

If the legislature is given the opportunity to change the law by it's own volition and escape a verdict, there is NOTHING stopping it from changing it back again later. We lose all the ground we seem to have gained, and then some.

In other words, if we take the legislative handout as a solution, we forfeit our RIGHTS and can never win what is ours as Citizens.

As simple as that concept is, many folks seem to miss it and are eager to take whatever scraps our Masters will toss us, dragging everyone down with them.

Well I got this from a state representative...

The best option in my opinion is to legislatively remove the restrictions for obtaining a permit. This would be along the lines of saying that any Marylander who hasn’t been convicted of a felony, is of sound mind, has no alcohol or drug dependencies, etc. can be issued a permit. This would do away with the current restrictions such as documented threat on a person’s life or the carrying of large sums of money that you mentioned in your first email. Legislation to this effect has been introduced in previous sessions and I have supported it, but it has, unfortunately, not gotten very far. I will continue to support these efforts and, hopefully, over time we will bring more people to our side on this legislation. I hope that helps to answer your question.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

:goodpost: :thumbsup:

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I've got to agree with the wait-and-see folks. I like legislative solutions better than judicial decrees, but we are in a delicate situation here. There's no RKBA in our Constitution, so this cannot be handled domestically -- we need federal courts to instruct our legislature about what is and is not permissible under the US Constitution. I wouldn't object to amending our Constitution to add RKBA, though... has it been tried since 1867?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    The best option in my opinion is to legislatively add more restrictions for obtaining a permit. This would be along the lines of saying that any Marylander who hasn’t been convicted of a felony, is of sound mind, has no alcohol or drug dependencies, etc. can not be issued a permit because those things are not qualifiers. This would also do away with the current restrictions such as documented threat on a person’s life or the carrying of large sums of money as qualifiers. Legislation to this effect has been introduced in previous sessions and I have supported it, because I feel, as many of my colleages do, that no one but the Military and Police should have a firearm in the state of MD. I will continue to support anti-gun efforts and, hopefully, over time we will bring more people to our side on this legislation. I hope that helps to answer your question.
    Fixed it for you. ;) This is what E. Shell was trying to say.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Eric Bromwell.

I also have gotten support from Rick Impallaria and Joseph Boteler,
    You are in my district then. And yeah, those are primarily good guys.

The problem is, a court ruling would be absolutely binding upon the state. If need be, the US Marshal service can force the state to abide by the court's ruling (or us citizens could probably apply, be denied, and then carry without impunity, provided things go our way).

Wiggle room created by the legislature, is nothing more than more tyranny of good intentions.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    You are in my district then. And yeah, those are primarily good guys.

The problem is, a court ruling would be absolutely binding upon the state. If need be, the US Marshal service can force the state to abide by the court's ruling (or us citizens could probably apply, be denied, and then carry without impunity, provided things go our way).

Wiggle room created by the legislature, is nothing more than more tyranny of good intentions.

So what can I do to push this hard? This law is bullcrap.

Fixed it for you. ;) This is what E. Shell was trying to say.

If you say so...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    As a state representative, of course this DOES present the best option, because it leaves them in control of YOUR rights. "Hold on, don't demand your rights, it's not necessary, let us give you a privilege to stop all this bickering (for now).".

It is NOT your best option, which is actually to have MD compelled to respect our Constitutionally enumerated rights as a United States Citizen. The sooner this happens, the better. We do not want to fight this same fight again after the next legislative session.

I guess I cannot explain it clearly enough, but there is a VERY distinct difference in how we would procure a guarantee from the State to respect our rights.

If we force it and win, it's over, completely, and never again can they infringe upon our rights in this manner. Grasp the actual meaning of this solution.

If legislature is allowed/encouraged/requested to change the law now, there is nothing to stop them from changing it back during their next mood swing. We can easily we can find ourselves right back here, but years behind our current progress and with a potentially less Constitutionally minded court system to drag through.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    As a state representative, of course this DOES present the best option, because it leaves them in control of YOUR rights. "Hold on, don't demand your rights, it's not necessary, let us give you a privilege to stop all this bickering (for now).".

It is NOT your best option, which is actually to have MD compelled to respect our Constitutionally enumerated rights as a United States Citizen. The sooner this happens, the better. We do not want to fight this same fight again after the next legislative session.

I guess I cannot explain it clearly enough, but there is a VERY distinct difference in how we would procure a guarantee from the State to respect our rights.

If we force it and win, it's over, completely, and never again can they infringe upon our rights in this manner. Grasp the actual meaning of this solution.

If legislature is allowed/encouraged/requested to change the law now, there is nothing to stop them from changing it back during their next mood swing. We can easily we can find ourselves right back here, but years behind our current progress and with a potentially less Constitutionally minded court system to drag through.

Good insight, I guess there's not much I can do except paying their salaries and continue to have my rights infringed upon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom