• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    Off Topic, but not a shot in hell.

Anyone care to guess how Nordyke gets treated? Red-Headed Step-Child or Prodigal Son?

I think Gansler is going to slaughter a lamb with it. Even I couldn't screw this up.

So do you think due to that decision that it may be a game changer in the Wollard case? If so how? What do you think our side’s next move will be?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I think Nordyke makes it much easier for a District Court to kick the case up the chain by either Two-Stepping the core of the right, or even finding for the right and then using the state's "automatic compelling interest" to dillute its value.

The Fourth is unlikely to sign up to the massive harm caused heightened scrutiny by the Ninth in Nordyke, but that doesn't make it easier to win now.

I don't want to spin Nordyke in this thread too far, but the Ninth has got to suspect they just rolled a slippery slope for the enhanced scrutiny of civil rights. They tried like hell to restrict it to guns by claiming a unique public safety aspect, but then they said that the very nature of the value of that public safety argument is dependent on the legislature.

This is hardly restricted to guns. Let's look at everything from abortion to gay marriage to public protest. The Ninth just assigned "risk assessments" to the legislature and then said that even in cases of substantial burden to a fundamental right, those restrictions do not have to prove compelling interest or narrow tailoring.

Not every state in the Ninth is California, and not every legislature thinks like they do. This is going to come back on them.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    With this in court, does anyone thing MD will start with a reciprocity for permits for the transistion period of issuing licenses to qualified applicants?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Don't expect them to give anything.

I expect them to go kicking and screaming in an unimaginable temper tantrum.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    # 37 posted!
    http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772.37.0.pdf

Amicus Brief in Support of 25 Cross MOTION of Defendants for Summary Judgment and in Opposition to 12 , 21 MOTION of Plaintiffs for Summary Judgment filed by Legal Community Against Violence. (Filed as of 4/21/11) (hmls, Deputy Clerk) (Entered: 05/13/2011)

15 pages wasted by LCAV explaining why 1st amendment analogy of Prior Restraint is incorrect. Wow, thats all they got??

#36 is out there as well, the Brady Amicus. I'll recap once at home....if I feel like it....

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    What I don't get, is they constantly quote crime statistics... but criminals DONT follow laws (thereby in definition, a criminal) so what does gun control against law abiding citizens matter? I mean I know this is preaching to the choir here, but how does it work? I mean are the neuron synapses in these peoples brains just crosswired? It just doesn't make any sense what so ever!

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    What I don't get, is they constantly quote crime statistics... but criminals DONT follow laws (thereby in definition, a criminal) so what does gun control against law abiding citizens matter? I mean I know this is preaching to the choir here, but how does it work? I mean are the neuron synapses in these peoples brains just crosswired? It just doesn't make any sense what so ever!

It's a misunderstanding of what guns are and who has them. The vague understanding is that:

1) guns, legally or illegally owned, are evil objects
    2) possession of a gun makes people aggressive and violent AND/OR
    3) the only people who want guns are violent, ignorant rednecks

If you're raised believing these things and never demanding (or accepting) evidence, then you'll probably believe that you can solve a social problem with a technological solution.

krucam

Ultimate Member

It's a misunderstanding of what guns are and who has them. The vague understanding is that:

1) guns, legally or illegally owned, are evil objects
    2) possession of a gun makes people aggressive and violent AND/OR
    3) the only people who want guns are violent, ignorant rednecks

If you're raised believing these things and never demanding (or accepting) evidence, then you'll probably believe that you can solve a social problem with a technological solution.

Forget statistics, at least when we're talking from McDonald forward. They're irrelevant when we're discussing a Fundamental right...

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Even more interesting they claim 100,000 deaths or injuries from firearms in 2007. When compairing the effect of exercise of the 1st amendment vs. 2nd Amendment. I would be curious to know how many people have died around the World this year expressing thier views publicly. I can pretty much guarantee its more than 100,000 injuries or deaths and most of them don't have the benifit of the 2nd amendment either.

What BS.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    15 pages wasted by LCAV explaining why 1st amendment analogy of Prior Restraint is incorrect. Wow, thats all they got??

#36 is out there as well, the Brady Amicus. I'll recap once at home....if I feel like it....
    On a friday? Why would you want to do that to yourself?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I have never heard of the LCAV. They are certainly infinitely better informed on firearms than Brady and friends could ever be. However, they still rely on Webster and Clowns, questionable figures and a general loathing of firearms.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Pure Hoplophobic rhetoric designed to bolster the idea that a gun is going to leap up off the table and hurt someone. I'd LOVE to see their statistics on, of all the crimes they reported, concerning handgun violence, were:

A) committed by legally registered firearms.

B) committed by previous non felons, and/or un-licensed carriers.

Not that I am advocating permitting, but what I am trying to portray is YES there is a group of society that are commiting violence using guns. No, the guns aren't commiting the crimes, and no, those of us who are law abiding, should have to suffer as a result. In fact, we should be able, as our Fore Fathers intended, to be able to defend ourselves against these clowns.

I guess that, to me, is just the absurdity of it all. If you don't want to carry a gun, that is fine, but quit trying to stop me, because your stupid gun laws aren't stopping those that chose to break the law. If you don't want to deal with it, then step aside!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom