• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I like the righteous indignation at someone pointing out their illegal ordinances.

Gotta love it. I wonder if anything will come of this. Not that it affects most of us, as we serfs can't carry anyway, but still interesting.

"We didn’t deem it worthy of response,” he said... The Town of Walkersville, in Frederick County, also received a letter, objecting to the town’s ban on carrying loaded firearms within town limits. Officials were resistant to the idea. “I have no problem with gun rights, but for somebody to come here and say we need to make a change, I don’t know what dark basement they are living in,” Commissioner Russell Winch said. Burgess Ralph Whitmore said he agreed. “I’m with Russell. Let them sue us,” he said.
    I wonder if anything will come of this. Not that it affects most of us, as we serfs can't carry anyway, but still interesting.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Are they going to file in state court? I think that would be a first(or close to it) for SAF.
    I guess the plan is to clear any remaining land mines when (hopefully) SCOTUS rules G & S is unconstitutional.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I like them doing this but in a way I wish they'd save their resources for the court challenges to SB281 instead of fighting buried municipal codes which everyone seems to already agree are invalid anyway. These laws are already invalid on their face, while SB281 is very much a threat to people's rights.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    ^^^ this.

I like to see pro-2A whenever it comes up, but these local codes aren't enforceable and with all the AWB stuff going on, why not put their resources to better use?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Well technically all they did was write a letter informing them of the conflict and asking them to change it. No legal challenges as of yet.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Walkersville is a small town north of Frederick and surly does not have deep pockets. But some of the towns taxpayers should point out the meaning of preemption because the town leaders should be informed they will loose before they start throwing lawyers.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    I like them doing this but in a way I wish they'd save their resources for the court challenges to SB281 instead of fighting buried municipal codes which everyone seems to already agree are invalid anyway. These laws are already invalid on their face, while SB281 is very much a threat to people's rights.

I think the goal is to point out that MD's laws are unworkable and make these municipalities have to fight (and then lose) in court in cases where they are essentially making the state either prove preemption.

Additionally it brings a lot of awareness at the very local level of how stupid your government is being

There is a good underlying subtext here and I think there is probably a bigger plan behind it. Its also heartening to see SAF willing to spend time and resources on MD (perhaps because we're all giving them $$$)?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I think the goal is to point out that MD's laws are unworkable and make these municipalities have to fight (and then lose) in court in cases where they are essentially making the state either prove preemption.

Additionally it brings a lot of awareness at the very local level of how stupid your government is being

There is a good underlying subtext here and I think there is probably a bigger plan behind it. Its also heartening to see SAF willing to spend time and resources on MD (perhaps because we're all giving them $$$)?

INAL, but ... SAF doesn't throw it's weight around for naught. Since this isn't JUST about Walkersville, maybe they could be laying the groundwork for challenges to SB281. SAF has won similar suits in other states, a couple being in their home state of Washington.

Maybe some of our legal eagles can scope it out ...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    SAF is big enough to keep multiple irons in the fire. This aproach is a good thing to do also. At the least goes to overturn attitudes that guns are inhrrently evil or inherently marginalized. I can also see this as ground work going in several directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom