• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    Cool! Thanks. We should have some decisions in the next few months -- both the 7 th and the 1st are pretty quick

Very, very busy period coming up. My Outlook Calendar shows the following:
    (Disregard Lane tomorrow which has been moved indefinitely, and my sister's birthday today!)

Attachments

• Calendar.jpg
      Calendar.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 299

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    It's going to be interesting to see which circuit rules first: The 7th in Moore/Shepard or the 10th in Peterson (remembering that orals there was on Mar. 19th).

Even Gray has remarked that the 7th may beat his case to the finish line.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    It's going to be interesting to see which circuit rules first: The 7th in Moore/Shepard or the 10th in Peterson (remembering that orals there was on Mar. 19th).

Even Gray has remarked that the 7th may beat his case to the finish line.

Anyone want to handicap these for me? :D

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA
    Anyone want to handicap these for me? :D

I don't know what you mean by handicap, but as always, it depends on how fast the panel wants to write the opinion. The Ezell CA7 decision took 3 months or so, but the first McDonald appellate case in 2009 took only a week to get done, as a stepping stone to SCOTUS.

Moore and Shepard will be decided, I can say for an almost certainty, by August 8th of 2012. That is the last day of what is considered the "April 2012" sitting of the court.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I don't know what you mean by handicap, but as always, it depends on how fast the panel wants to write the opinion. The Ezell CA7 decision took 3 months or so, but the first McDonald appellate case in 2009 took only a week to get done, as a stepping stone to SCOTUS.

Moore and Shepard will be decided, I can say for an almost certainty, by August 8th of 2012. That is the last day of what is considered the "April 2012" sitting of the court.

My money is on the 7th, especially if Easterbrook or Posner is on the panel. The 10th is still struggling to figure out what's before them ...............

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Things are going into high-simmer mode for the 7th Circuit...

Dare I say, given all the attention, a little concern is being reflected? :innocent0

05/16/2012 27 Submitted brief by Suzanne M. Loose for amicus City of Chicago, Legal Community Against Violence, Major Cities Chiefs Association, Board of Education of the City of Chicago, Chicago Transportation Authority. Consent from all parties contained within brief. [27] [6398217] [12-1269] (Loose, Suzanne)

05/16/2012 28 Submitted brief by Todd Kim for amicus District of Columbia. Federal or state filer (consent unnecessary). [28] [6398222] [12-1269] (Kim, Todd)

05/16/2012 29 Amicus brief filed by Amici Curiae The Major Cities Chiefs Associaton, Legal Community Against Violence and City of Chicago, CTA, Board of Education of the City of Chicago by consent. Paper copies due on 05/23/2012 Electronically Transmitted. (RS)

05/16/2012 30 Amicus brief filed by Amicus Curiae District of Columbia, Washington D.C. government filing, no consent necessary. Paper copies due on 05/23/2012 Electronically Transmitted. [6398320] [12-1269] (BS)

05/16/2012 31 Disclosure Statement filed by Attorney Alexander D. Marks for Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, International Brotherhood of Police Officers, Major Cities Chiefs Association, National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives, National Black Police Association. Additional Parties: Police Foundation. [31] [6398610] [12-1269] (Marks, Alexander)

05/16/2012 32 Submitted brief by Alexander D. Marks for amicus Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, international Brotherhood of Police Officers, Major Cities Cheifs Association, National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives, National Black Police Association, and Police Foundation. Consent from all parties contained within brief. [32] [6398616] [12-1269] (Marks, Alexander)

05/16/2012 33 Amicus brief filed by Amici Curiae National Black Police Association and Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence by consent. Paper copies due on 05/24/2012 Electronically Transmitted. [6398794] [12-1269]--[Edited 05/17/2012 by RS All other parties listed in party limit entry] (RS)

05/16/2012 THIS CAUSE CONSISTS OF MORE THAN 5 AMICI: The following are those parties , yet are not reflected on the Appellate docket/caption for administrative purposes: International Brotherhood of Police Officers, Major Cities Chiefs Association, National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives, and Police Foundation [6398800-2] [6398800] [12-1269] (RS)

Speaking up so far for Illinois:
    City of Chicago
    Legal Community Against Violence
    Major Cities Chiefs Association
    Board of Education of the City of Chicago
    Chicago Transportation Authority
    District of Columbia
    Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence
    International Brotherhood of Police Officers
    National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
    National Black Police Association
    Police Foundation

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I wonder how many Congressional and state amici our side could get(either here of SCOTUS) for this case?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Today, the appellant, Shepard and Moore, was to have filed briefs in reply to the State. Nothing has yet shown up in the docket for Moore but the attached brief did show up for Shepard.

39 pages, which I have yet to read.

I did catch this little gem, in the opening statements. Y'all will like it:

The State’s primary defense of its unique law banning all carrying of operable firearms in public is that the Second Amendment does not guarantee an individual right to bear a firearm outside one’s home for personal defense. State Br. at 8, 14. Rather, the Second Amendment right to bear a firearm in public is collective in nature, tied exclusively to service in the militia and arising only when necessary for the common defense against “an oppressive military force if the constitutional order [breaks] down.” State Br. 17, quoting District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 599 (2008).

And y'all thought the collective rights argument was dead!!

ETA: OK, for whatever reasons, my wires were crossed. This is the final reply brief by the appellant/Plaintiff Shepard. Still waiting for Gura's brief in Moore.

Attachments

• 36-Shepard Appellee Response Brief.pdf
      189.6 KB · Views: 214
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads