SAF files for cert in Drake (NJ may-issue)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Why is this case materially different than the one they just denied?

It isn't. However this covers the "we don't want to hear from Alan Gura anymore" argument since counsel is Evan Nappen, not Alan Gura.

vagun71

Apr 22, 2014
    It isn't. However this covers the "we don't want to hear from Alan Gura anymore" argument since counsel is Evan Nappen, not Alan Gura.
    And it is the first real chance for the NJSC to weigh in on the Second Amendment since Heller. That is kind of a big deal and why SCOTUS might be waiting.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Reading though the Drake briefs I started to wonder if the case was "muddled with other stuff" because the AG brief talked about the whole permitting scheme. I found them confusing. Do you think that's a possibility?

vagun71

Apr 22, 2014
    Reading though the Drake briefs I started to wonder if the case was "muddled with other stuff" because the AG brief talked about the whole permitting scheme. I found them confusing. Do you think that's a possibility?
    Yes. And all the more reason to let the NJSC have a shot at the issue first.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I started to post earlier with my thoughts and speculation (upon being disappointed again), but pulled it because there are just too many options and too many variables. The whole process with SCOTUS, i.e. Woollard, Drake, and all the others in past and present line up, is worse than getting sucked into watching "Lost" for two seasons only to find out there really was no plot (or ending) to begin with, and the writers were just making sh*t up week by week to keep you on the hook until they eventually ran out of material.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I think someone touched on it earlier, but I'm beginning to think that there is a pattern emerging, where SCOTUS is not looking to get into interpretations and applications of State Law at the local level, especially where there is no compelling National interest.

There is now no state that is "no issue"... all the rest is interpretation for the states to decide, until the splits get to a point where they would have no choice but to intervene.

As for National Issue...

Would Moore be the best to use as a recent supporting case?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I think someone touched on it earlier, but I'm beginning to think that there is a pattern emerging, where SCOTUS is not looking to get into interpretations and applications of State Law at the local level, especially where there is no compelling National interest.

There is now no state that is "no issue"... all the rest is interpretation for the states to decide, until the splits get to a point where they would have no choice but to intervene.

As for National Issue...

Would Moore be the best to use as a recent supporting case?

HI is practically no issue.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Fully aware of HI and NJ's reality, thus, the quotes...

I'm speaking from a technical perspective.

NJ court's added the good cause by mandate. Purely from a law standpoint, no NJ laws were repealed.

HI has the exceptional circumstance written into the law. Once the Baker case get's remanded back to the lower court, the law will be struck down.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I started to post earlier with my thoughts and speculation (upon being disappointed again), but pulled it because there are just too many options and too many variables. The whole process with SCOTUS, i.e. Woollard, Drake, and all the others in past and present line up, is worse than getting sucked into watching "Lost" for two seasons only to find out there really was no plot (or ending) to begin with, and the writers were just making sh*t up week by week to keep you on the hook until they eventually ran out of material.

True, but we got much closer than ever with several relists (they denied Embody outright). The fact that all the cert grants come from the relist pool now, strongly suggests that they wanted to take the case but found something in the due diligence that made it a worse than expected vehicle. I wonder what it could be.

DefenderOfConservatism

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 22, 2014
    The Republicans could easily have pushed through national carry reciprocity and federal gun preemption when they controlled Congress and the White House from 2000-2006. They chose not to. They are interested in only posturing, and it will remain that way unless we force them to be responsible.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Sucks, but SCOTUS could have accepted it and ruled against us completely. That'd be far, far worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom