SAF files for cert in Drake (NJ may-issue)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caladain

Nov 17, 2011
    Crossposting a question I asked on Calguns:

Does anyone have any stats on the odds of cases that are relisted for another conference being granted?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Can someone explain why a case is held for another conference?

Usually, one or more Justices wants time to review that case.
    Or the Justices felt they could rule on the case without going to the merits stage or oral arguments and they are preparing a per curiam opinion. Or a Justice is preparing a dissent from denial of cert.

Basically, we'll find out this Friday or next Monday.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Doesn't suck as bad as a denial.

Few civil rights issues were won overnight. We have made great strides over the last decade so having to wait a few more weeks isn’t going to be so bad. As long as we have our day in court I will be satisfied.

ProGunBaller

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2014
    Few civil rights issues were won overnight. We have made great strides over the last decade so having to wait a few more weeks isn’t going to be so bad. As long as we have our day in court I will be satisfied.

I wish I had your level of optimism.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What else can we be? If not, we're waving the white flag of surrender.

It's not over until no more cases can get to SCOTUS because of a final ruling from One First.

IMO.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Maybe they want to see pending actions (en banc in the 9th) play out, or they just ran out of time?

It is not uncommon to see a case relisted. That they didn't act on the cert petition today in Drake tells me that they are waiting to see what the 9th is going to do in en banc in Peruta and or Richards. The case has not been (yet) relisted. It is quite possible that they are just holding it, waiting for Peruta, or maybe Richards. They did not run out of time. It takes the request of only one Justice to delay consideration.

I hope everyone saw the response that Gura filed in Richards to the petition filed in that case. He said that Peruta was moot because the sheriff did not seek further review and only the sheriff, not the state, had any standing in the case under California's rather special CCW statutes. I think he is right. The argument increases the odds that en banc will be denied in Peruta and Richards. This is great fun to watch.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Thanks as always for the insight, esqappellate.

I did not see Gura's response (or maybe I didn't remember) but I'll take a look now.

I agree, fun to watch... but I also agree about the pepto bismol, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom