SAF files for cert in Drake (NJ may-issue)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    "We've seen courts rubberstamp just about any kind of law that violates the Second Amendment," Gura said of the post-Heller and post-McDonald legal landscape. "Unless the Supreme Court decides to enforce its pronouncements, the Second Amendment will apply only to the extent that some lower courts are willing to honor Supreme Court precedent."

The Supreme Court should take this case.

From Heller...
    . Under any of the standards of scrutiny
    the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition—in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute—would fail constitutional muster.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Wait, didn't Gore already waive his appeal chance?
    He said he was not going to appeal or seek en banc, but he has taken a middling road on whether he accepts the results. I got a friend out there who applied and got the same letter everyone else did. It said that depending on if the court issues the mandate, the process will move forward. That makes it sound like Gore is an unwilling participant in the permit process.

If he is just unable to pursue the fight further, then it might make sense to let the state fight in his stead. But if accepts the case ("sees the light", as esquappellate put it), then there is no longer a controversy. No controversy means no need to consider the future of this case, because it is no longer being fought by any of the responding parties.

So if Gore says, "I am done. I accept this and don't want the state or anyone else to intervene because I think the decision is correct", then it is pretty much over. The Ninth can still let the AG in, but it's a hell of a ride (as esq noted).

If Gore says, "I just don't have the fight in me, but you should let the state take over", then we're in for a rehearing in CA.

If Gore says, "I don't care what happens from here on out. I have no opinion, I just want you all to leave me out of it", then...others here suggest we are in for a re-hearing in the Ninth.

Gura is going for broke. He knows if the case is mooted by the defendant accepting the outcome, then the state tanks are on empty. That might be just what it takes to get the SCT to go for Drake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom