• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry if this has already been posted. I just learned of this from a shop yesterday. They said it was reclassified by MSP a couple of months ago. The reason they gave is that the barrel tapers below the hand guard. I'm curious how this affects anyone who purchased them between 10/1/13 and this change. The shop ended up refunding one customer and is now stuck with 5 or 6 in inventory. This includes the Sporter model.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I was under the impression it was never supposed to be unregulated, since it's not an HBAR and that the recent MSP listing was just to clarify a position that they've always held. However, a number of my friends have bought M&P-15 Sport unregulated before and after the ban, and a number bought it before the ban as regulated.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    They were always banned under MSP's interpretation of FSA2013... "it's an HBAR if the manufacturer says it's an HBAR." I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that S&W has ever described the M&P15 or M&15 Sport as heavy-barreled.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    First, the state would have to know they have it.

It might happen the same way it did fof people who bought rifles in VA.....ATF turns over their audit results to the MSP and buyers get a knock on the door at 630am by two cops with a 77r .

Jun 20, 2014
    Sorry if this has already been posted. I just learned of this from a shop yesterday. They said it was reclassified by MSP a couple of months ago. The reason they gave is that the barrel tapers below the hand guard. I'm curious how this affects anyone who purchased them between 10/1/13 and this change. The shop ended up refunding one customer and is now stuck with 5 or 6 in inventory. This includes the Sporter model.

When I measured the sports barrel it is .750 at the gas block and .743 under the hand guard to the chamber. Hardly what I would classify as a tapper. :sad20: Not sure they were looking at a sport when they made that call.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Please share all of this with the guy from AA County selling his M&P 15 Sport cash and carry in the Classifieds.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    They have always been banned...
    I have talked to the engineers S&W about this a few times and they have told me that they do not offer a M&P 15 that is MD compliant.

Wright45

Mar 23, 2013
    S&W M&P15 Sport HBAR - 10 Round Magazine, Fixed Stock
    This model is compliant For Sale in MD, and NJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom