• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Just purchased the above referenced revolver new from local dealer. The trigger pull is extremely heavy (off the scale of my trigger pull gauge). Can anyone here recommend a reputable gunsmith to lighten and smooth the trigger on this revolver? Thanks.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I don't have a recommendation for you, but it seems you aren't the only one that has this complaint.

A few weeks ago I bought I new 642 double action .38sp. It's got a real stiff trigger on it, had it measured with a cheap(er) quality gauge and it was off the charts. The gauge out went to 12 lbs, so a friend of mine is guessing its around 15 lbs.

I thought it would loosen up after a few hundreds rounds. Well I've put almost 500 thru it and it's still stiff as can be. This will be my main ccl weapon but with the trigger so stiff I'm not currently carrying it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Just purchased the above referenced revolver new from local dealer. The trigger pull is extremely heavy (off the scale of my trigger pull gauge). Can anyone here recommend a reputable gunsmith to lighten and smooth the trigger on this revolver? Thanks.
    Walt frear, triggerdoc, in Frederick County.
    Matt ilko at rogue machine in Fairfield PA.

I have a couple of J Frames, mostly with fully enclosed hammers. All but one run original springs and parts. I worry less about the weight and more about the hitches and grittiness some of the newer alloy frames had. I have an early fifties example (steel frame) that is SLICK. Also,if this is your first small revolver, buy a copy of Ed mcgiverns book fast and fancy revolver shooting and pay special attention to the different trigger manipulation techniques. It ain't like shooting a 1911 or glock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    10-14 lbs is spec . As mentioned , the smoothness is way more important than simple poundage .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    S&W J-frames tend to have heavy pulls. As already said…smooth is preferable. That being said…you can try a Wolff’s reduced power mainspring then test it to make sure reliable ignition hasn’t been compromised.

I’ve used Wolff’s reduced power spring in Smiths and Colts and have never had any reduction in reliability. The factories tend to over-spring their guns for reliability and fear of liability.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    S&W J-frames tend to have heavy pulls. As already said…smooth is preferable. That being said…you can try a Wolff’s reduced power mainspring then test it to make sure reliable ignition hasn’t been compromised.

I’ve used Wolff’s reduced power spring in Smiths and Colts and have never had any reduction in reliability. The factories tend to over-spring their guns for reliability and fear of liability.
    Apex makes go-fast and duty kits. I tried a duty spring kit in the 66 I used to run. Went back to all Smith springs and spent a few hours stoning and polishing under the eye of an old timer who took pity on me and gave me valuable education.

Never tried reduced Wolff springs in my smiths. I use Wolff springs (full weight or heavier, depending on ammo) in a Cz and two glocks as well as in mags when the factory springs go. Great products.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I just searched for that, and when I found it this popped up also. Is it worth getting as well?

Amazon product ASIN 098883684X
    Cannot comment as I haven't read Nichols book. Sorry. I was given the mcgivern book as a homework assignment by a guy I worked with who practiced with his 649 (full power 158s) at 50yds regularly. He generally could put 15 rounds into alpha or charlie zones with no deltas. It was freaky.

I carry a glock, generally speaking, but I really like shooting a slick revolver for fun and I do carry a j frame sometimes. Usually when social pressures exist not to carry a gun, such as when visiting antigun family members.

I do suggest looking at the writings of Jordan, Keith, and Askins as all had slightly different things to say about techniques. No doubt informed by their different experiences and normal purposes.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Short-barreled revolvers are not conceived as target guns. They're basically last-ditch belly guns, with which you waive consideration of such things as your semi-auto not firing because it's been pushed out of battery by shoving it into the guts of the guy who's trying to kill you.

You don't need fine motor control - nor will you have it - under such circumstances. Your nervous system is not constructed to function that way in extremis. Gross motor function, spasmodically working that stiff trigger, will get the job done more quickly, and in coordination with your body's design parameters for emergency action.

As someone once put it, "If you can't get it done with five shots, you might better have brought an axe."
    (Or words to that effect, anyway).

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a 642 and a 360; both airweights. 360 is one of my carry firearms due to personal preference of exposed hammer. DA pull is about the same for both so if OP's pull is off the charts then a contact with S&W CS may be in order. The 360's trigger pull has gotten a lot smoother with more rounds shot.

Practice is my recommendation; other than sights. keep it stock unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

Snubbies take work to shoot good and, as referenced above, there is a boatload of info on snubbies in print.

YMMV but the above is my 2 cents. Not everyone likes snubbies but I do.

:D

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Short-barreled revolvers are not conceived as target guns. They're basically last-ditch belly guns, with which you waive consideration of such things as your semi-auto not firing because it's been pushed out of battery by shoving it into the guts of the guy who's trying to kill you.

You don't need fine motor control - nor will you have it - under such circumstances. Your nervous system is not constructed to function that way in extremis. Gross motor function, spasmodically working that stiff trigger, will get the job done more quickly, and in coordination with your body's design parameters for emergency action.
    I disagree about J frame revolvers being last ditch belly guns.
    True they are not target guns but neither is my G19.

But with practice, breeds confidence on what a snubby can do.

In short another tool in the toolbox, but you need to spend time to learn the snubbie.

Peace.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Apex makes go-fast and duty kits. I tried a duty spring kit in the 66 I used to run. Went back to all Smith springs and spent a few hours stoning and polishing under the eye of an old timer who took pity on me and gave me valuable education.

Never tried reduced Wolff springs in my smiths. I use Wolff springs (full weight or heavier, depending on ammo) in a Cz and two glocks as well as in mags when the factory springs go. Great products.

Aftermarket springs generally aren’t necessary in leaf spring K-, L- and N-frame Smiths. A bit of judicious stoning on the end of the strain screw and then make sure the screw is tightened down will accomplish the same as a lighter weight mainspring.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Aftermarket springs generally aren’t necessary in leaf spring K-, L- and N-frame Smiths. A bit of judicious stoning on the end of the strain screw and then make sure the screw is tightened down will accomplish the same as a lighter weight mainspring.
    The ones I carry, I don't even reduce screw length.

I have all Smith springs in them. Good polish work does all that I need. The Centennial didn't need squat. If anything was done, it was done before I got it (pinning the grip safety was done, as often seen) by the Border Patrolman who carried it. That gun has a history, in addition to all its marks, but it is butter smooth. It's slicker than my Smith pro series from the Performance center.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I disagree about J frame revolvers being last ditch belly guns.
    True they are not target guns but neither is my G19.

But with practice, breeds confidence on what a snubby can do.

In short another tool in the toolbox, but you need to spend time to learn the snubbie.

Peace.

Not sure why you disagree. Between the physiological response issue and the size+reliability, they seem perfectly suited to the task at hand.

Doubtless they have other uses as well, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom