• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I went to On Target to shoot some 22 LR. On a whim I rented a S&W 617 with 4" barrel. It was great to shoot 10 rounds compared to my S&W 34 6 rounds.

It was heavy but a real pleasure. Anyone have a lot of experience with one of these?

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Yea, but not alot since I just took possession on Wednesday last, and shot about 100 rounds today.
    S&W 617-6 4"......mine is now scoped and zero'd and at bench rest at 25 yards is in the X ring. Bullseye shooting with my 73 years of age hand "wobble", the rounds hit 9 and 10 rings with a few in the X ring.

Single action is just fine. DA for me is a bit tough however........I think a "trigger job" is on the table to make DA a tad lighter.

There is some good info on the 617 on the S&W forum and probably more here if folks see the thread......

Bottom line..a very nice piece... IMHO

By the way..there is info in the owners manual about various ammo.....I took 3 different types and tested each as instructed in the manual. one failed the test miserably, the second was much better, and the last past with flying colors......Read the Manual...

R

Last edited:

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Mine is for sale in the classifieds

Alright since three of you have 6" barrels how do you like them? The 4" struck me as heavy (compared to my 34) but was a pleasure to shoot and the ten rounds were great compared to the six.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    617s can be sweet guns. I have a couple and I use them a lot as surrogates for centerfire guns in the same configuration.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Alright since three of you have 6" barrels how do you like them? The 4" struck me as heavy (compared to my 34) but was a pleasure to shoot and the ten rounds were great compared to the six.

It's as accurate as I'm capable of being. I really like it, I just don't shoot it very often.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    Have a 4" 63, which is like a stainless 34, and love it. I've had numerous 17's and 617's but couldn't hit the side of a barn with any of them. But then I got a Model 18 and loved it. Traded it in a "moment of stupid" and really need to get another. If it works for you, go with it.

617s are very nice, and can serve as a practice surrogate for a 686. I prefer my pre-17 K-22 - a little better balanced, I find, and smoother DA trigger. A lot of .22s, a (relative) few .38s and .357s through the Model 19. Gun Connection (IP) has had pretty good prices on new 617s from what I've seen, if you don't mind the lock.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Before I bought a 6" barrel 617. I would like to try it. Anyone know of a range with one for rent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom