• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Beautiful pistol. There's one at Atlantic Guns for $725 - seemed like pretty good condition including target grips - original box. Pretty pricey, but definitely a nice piece.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    BUy it that is a good deal . There are not to many better 22 out there. I have one that I have had for 20+ years. GREAT PISTOL !!!!!!!!!!!

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Can't afford it. But, it's good to have an idea of what a good deal for one of these is.

Thanks.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    See if you can make a down-payment to hold it. If so, I would recommend it. I've had one for several years and it is an incredible gun.

Factors affecting value are: Year-of-mfg? Barrel length? Does it have the loaded-chamber indicator? Does it come with the barrel-weight?

Original box alone should make this a great deal. You could likely sell it to a collector tomorrow for $900+.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    See if you can make a down-payment to hold it. If so, I would recommend it. I've had one for several years and it is an incredible gun.

Factors affecting value are: Year-of-mfg? Barrel length? Does it have the loaded-chamber indicator? Does it come with the barrel-weight?

Original box alone should make this a great deal. You could likely sell it to a collector tomorrow for $900+.

I THINK THE NEW ONES ARE MADE IN MAINE not MASS . I also think the new ones have the laser engraving also with the gold inlay IT really does not matter any way it is a great pistol . I would save sell or do what ever to get one. IT blows away Rugers and Brownings and colts all day long.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    They are so popular with both shooters and collectors that the investment isn't difficult to justify. Me personally, I'm probably one of the 10 shooters in the US that don't care for the 41. I've been shooting High Standards for over 30 yrs and have gotten so comfortable with them. Had the opportunity to borrow a 41 to give it a good "test drive" but came away unconvinced that it would ever replace my favorite HS. To each his own.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    They are so popular with both shooters and collectors that the investment isn't difficult to justify. Me personally, I'm probably one of the 10 shooters in the US that don't care for the 41. I've been shooting High Standards for over 30 yrs and have gotten so comfortable with them. Had the opportunity to borrow a 41 to give it a good "test drive" but came away unconvinced that it would ever replace my favorite HS. To each his own.

High Standards are also a GREAT pistol!! I think I remember super matic and victor. I shoot with a friend that has one it is on the same line as a 41

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Beautiful pistol. There's one at Atlantic Guns for $725 - seemed like pretty good condition including target grips - original box. Pretty pricey, but definitely a nice piece.
    Did you happen to notice which version of the Model 41 Atlantic was selling? I've been collecting them for over 30 years, and have several variations. The one I'm looking for is the .22 short model. (At a reasonable price, of course. The last one I saw available was over $2k.)
    I also have a High Standard Model 103 Supermatic Citation with barrel weight and stabilizer. This is a really accurate gun, but I don't think it is in the same class as the S&W 41.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IMO Hi Standards are not good to put alot of rounds through them. GOOD Parts and especially Mags are not cheap or easy to come by.

S&W Model 41 is an amazing .22, probably the best. Heads and tails aboive any Ruger, Hi Standard, or Buckmark.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    S&W Model 41 is an amazing .22, probably the best. Heads and tails above any Ruger, Hi Standard, or Buckmark.

You can hardly challenge this sort of authority.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The fact that I agree with him 100% doesn't hurt his credibility either.;)

BTW -- which of the two stores was it in, if you don't mind my asking? Lemme know if you're thinking about buying it -- otherwise I might just poach it off of you.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    S&W Model 41 is an amazing .22, probably the best. Heads and tails aboive any Ruger, Hi Standard, or Buckmark.

I'd still like to think that Ruger's Mark III is still the best in its class and price range - after all... the 41 is double the price. The Mk III, to me, is a workhorse and still inherently more accurate than the shooter.

:)

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    IMO Hi Standards are not good to put alot of rounds through them. GOOD Parts and especially Mags are not cheap or easy to come by.

I'm -><- this close to getting a 41, however I had a question. There seems to be a "rumor" that they're fragile, particularly with HV bulk ammo. True? False? I mainly shoot Blazer or Dynapoints.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm -><- this close to getting a 41, however I had a question. There seems to be a "rumor" that they're fragile, particularly with HV bulk ammo. True? False? I mainly shoot Blazer or Dynapoints.

To be brutally honest they can be ammo sensitive. They tend to like target ammo only. If my memory serves me, CCI ammo is the preference. I have it listed in my notes at the shop so Ill look it up next week when Im back and let you know what ammo in particular.

Its not that it wont shoot accurately, its that they just wont run reliably with certain brands. They are far from fragile though.

I have seen ALOT of complaints from 41 owners about this and we know the guy at S&W whos sole responsibility is Model 41's. He gives us the straight scoop and it comes down to ammo selection. You have to be willing to use what they tell you.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    To be brutally honest they can be ammo sensitive. They tend to like target ammo only. If my memory serves me, CCI ammo is the preference. I have it listed in my notes at the shop so Ill look it up next week when Im back and let you know what ammo in particular.

Its not that it wont shoot accurately, its that they just wont run reliably with certain brands. They are far from fragile though.

I have seen ALOT of complaints from 41 owners about this and we know the guy at S&W whos sole responsibility is Model 41's. He gives us the straight scoop and it comes down to ammo selection. You have to be willing to use what they tell you.

All I shoot out of mine is CCI standard Velocity. I do not run the high velocity wall-mart bulk ammo .
    I think I even changed the spring years ago. So strictly target ammo for me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    All I shoot out of mine is CCI standard Velocity. I do not run the high velocity wall-mart bulk ammo .
    I think I even changed the spring years ago. So strictly target ammo for me.

That sounds right.

Im a big complainer about ammo sensitive guns but the 41 gets a pass from me because its a dedicated tack driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom