• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Has anyone ran into S&B brass that actually was copper washed steel. I was cleaning 9mm brass last night and was removing brass from tumbler and magnet was pulling brass with the ss media. Ended up with about 40 steel cased instead of brass

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Has anyone ran into S&B brass that actually was copper washed steel. I was cleaning 9mm brass last night and was removing brass from tumbler and magnet was pulling brass with the ss media. Ended up with about 40 steel cased instead of brass

Can't say that I have, but I do have some small quantity of S/B 9mm Luger brass that I have separated by headstamp. Maybe 100 or so as a guess. Don't remember anything looking suspect to me visually. But I'll have to throw a magnet on that!

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Uncle duke looks like normal brass i would have missed it if i didn't have a magnet in there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Uncle duke looks like normal brass i would have missed it if i didn't have a magnet in there.

Yeah, I definitely gathered that. Appreciate the "heads up"! I'll check mine tonight. I THINK some of my SB cases are marked 9mm Luger.....others maybe as 9x19. No issue there in and of itself obviously, but maybe given your post, there's more difference than just the headstamp??? I'll look these over closely and let you know! Thanks Tony b!

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    I may have got a batch of old brass. with ammo being scarce someone may have pull their old stash out. Live and learn

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    "S&B goes in the trash when I am sorting headstamps. Not worth the hassle".
    I load mixed brass and generally only look at a headstamp when there is a stoppage.
    I have found the S&B primer pockets to be OK in the 9x19 with no stoppages on my Dillon 650, but have to run the S&B Makarov brass through the Super Swage.
    I have more trouble with the odd piece of Federal crimped brass than the S&B, and the only brass that I trash from the get go is Amerc
    DocAitch

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    S&B goes in the trash when I am sorting headstamps. Not worth the hassle.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846395

"S&B goes in the trash when I am sorting headstamps. Not worth the hassle".
    I load mixed brass and generally only look at a headstamp when there is a stoppage.
    I have found the S&B primer pockets to be OK in the 9x19 with no stoppages on my Dillon 650, but have to run the S&B Makarov brass through the Super Swage.
    I have more trouble with the odd piece of Federal crimped brass than the S&B, and the only brass that I trash from the get go is Amerc
    DocAitch

If you guys trash any of those head stamps in 45ACP I'd gladly take them off your hands.:D:thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Checked my S/B brass with a magnet. Some stamped 9mm Luger.....most stamped 9x19. No issues, and all are Boxer primed. I also checked my Herters brass as at least some of that I am certain is manufactured by Sellier and Bellot. Good there too. Will definitely keep my eyes open for this issue though! I had not heard this before. Again,thanks for the tip Tony!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    If you guys trash any of those head stamps in 45ACP I'd gladly take them off your hands.:D:thumbsup:

I have over 7000 9mm cases, so I can afford to be picky. A very kind friend gave me three 5 gallon buckets of brass. I only have a little over 1000 of 45 acp, so I am a bit more forgiving. But yes, I have tossed about 20 S&B .45. They were painted red on the end. Crimped I think. Not worth the hassle for so few. I set aside the small primer 45 as well. I only get the Super Swage 600 out for 5.56.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    couple years ago I found some S&B brass washed steal cases. completely forgot about it. guess i need to check as i have started reloading again.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have over 7000 9mm cases, so I can afford to be picky. A very kind friend gave me three 5 gallon buckets of brass. I only have a little over 1000 of 45 acp, so I am a bit more forgiving. But yes, I have tossed about 20 S&B .45. They were painted red on the end. Crimped I think. Not worth the hassle for so few. I set aside the small primer 45 as well. I only get the Super Swage 600 out for 5.56.

Cool, just figured I'd give it a try.:thumbsup:
    I've never had any trouble with either the S&B or AMERC brass in 45ACP, but I do have about 100 small primer federal cases that are separated and get loaded.
    I've been trying to wear them out so I wouldn't feel bad trashing them, but I can't get them to die.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Cool, just figured I'd give it a try.:thumbsup:
    I've never had any trouble with either the S&B or AMERC brass in 45ACP, but I do have about 100 small primer federal cases that are separated and get loaded.
    I've been trying to wear them out so I wouldn't feel bad trashing them, but I can't get them to die.

Buff7mm,

You loading these any differently than your standard 45ACP LP cases? I have a mess of these SP cases too but haven't fooled with them. Same charge and OAL?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Buff7mm,

You loading these any differently than your standard 45ACP LP cases? I have a mess of these SP cases too but haven't fooled with them. Same charge and OAL?

No different loading, I'm using 5.3 grains of W231 under a 230 grain cast RNL tumble lube (Lee mold) and either Winchester or Federal small pistol primers.
    COAL of 1.26 with a taper crimp ( Lee factory crimp die)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    No different loading, I'm using 5.3 grains of W231 under a 230 grain cast RNL tumble lube (Lee mold) and either Winchester or Federal small pistol primers.
    COAL of 1.26 with a taper crimp ( Lee factory crimp die)

Gotcha.....thanks! These things are a PITA but I hate to toss them. All once fired brass by all appearances. Guess I need to get used to them being around.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Gotcha.....thanks! These things are a PITA but I hate to toss them. All once fired brass by all appearances. Guess I need to get used to them being around.

I can't seem to wear the damn things out, I'm on about the 8th or 9th loading and they're still going strong.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    i just separate the small primer brass and when i get enough process them. nothing wrong with them that i can tell, just different

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Resurrecting a moderately old thread.
    I just sorted some recent range pick ups and found a bit over 100 small primed .45s-all Blazer.
    An older container of .45 (3-4 years old), had no small primered brass.
    I swapped the large primer brass to Traveler , but will hand prime the small primer stuff when I get around to using it.
    Traveler- I hope there was not too much S&B in that stuff I traded- I never thought about the S&B head stamp until I re read this thread. I would be happy to exchange any that you got and are unhappy with.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom