• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Honestly, I think the longer the race stays close like it is, the further Romney and Ryan will compromise their principles to try and woo undecided voters.

They want the office, and if it takes selling out their core followers, you can bet they'll do it in a heartbeat.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Honestly, I think the longer the race stays close like it is, the further Romney and Ryan will compromise their principles to try and woo undecided voters.

They want the office, and if it takes selling out their core followers, you can bet they'll do it in a heartbeat.

I guess you're right about the situation. It just threw me a little - I felt he started strong and then brought in support for gun laws (should I assume Fed?) that wasn't necessary.

Support for Fed laws doesn't seem right for a small gov't guy - and state laws vary so much - did he mean Wisconsin laws? In any case it didn't sound good to me.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

What elected politician has stayed true to core values during an election?

The trick is appeal as a moderate during the election and go back to business as usual after a win.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    I think this is just a way of saying 'enforce the laws we have rather than craft
    new legislation,' and saying it in a way that appeals to some fence sitters, and helps them to defeat this administration. I think it is a politically savvy way of putting it.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think this is just a way of saying 'enforce the laws we have rather than craft
    new legislation', and saying it in a way that appeals to some fence sitters, and helps them to defeat this administration. I think it is a politically savvy way of putting it.

:thumbsup:

That's how I read it too. Don't pass more laws, just enforce the ones we have.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Man, I tell you what... every-other liberal-leaning reporter has been trying to win back the 1st debate for Obama after he got pasted last week.

Talk about desperation.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I think that he spoke wisely. Not exactly the gun guy response, but he echoes what we often times say. Enforce what we have, no new laws!

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    new legislation,' and saying it in a way that appeals to some fence sitters, and helps them to defeat this administration. I think it is a politically savvy way of putting it.

that was my take as well

now, the next step IMO would be, "... and get the crappy laws off the books"

Last edited:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

:thumbsup: Exactly. They seem to be staying on the course of 'enforce the current laws'. Good idea so they aren't seen as vaccillating. I think that when all is said and done, that's what most people want--enforce the current laws with effectiveness instead of making new laws that continue to be ignored by criminals and only restrict the law-abiding citizens.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside

Romney/Ryan will "cast" an "appearance" of being moderate to woo undecideds. As we all know, once candidates cross the threshold of the White House as President, they do what they want. In Romney/Ryans case that would hopefully be a return to sound conservative principals. What they say now to get elected and what they will do once elected are entirely different scenarios. :D

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ron Paul !!!

:thumbsup:

I'm sure the flaming will begin shortly. But this is the reason that I will no longer vote for the lesser of two evils and if I have to write in my candidate, I will. Not that it matters in a state like MD.

Our gun laws suck, they could be worse, but that doesn't make the existing laws any less retarded.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I thought he answered the question as "neat" as possible. And the answer was as neutral as possible while still holding a conservative postion.

My two thoughts are: 1) he does not know specifically what MD's gun laws are 2) And gun laws are not part of the campain, so don't waste time on them. If it's not about jobs or the economy, he really shouldn't be talking about it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I thought he answered the question as "neat" as possible. And the answer was as neutral as possible while still holding a conservative postion.

My two thoughts are: 1) he does not know specifically what MD's gun laws are 2) And gun laws are not part of the campain, so don't waste time on them. If it's not about jobs or the economy, he really shouldn't be talking about it.

The R's and D's did make the 2A a political issue by adopting their platforms at their conventions.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Adopted Platforms and 20-second sound bites to reach the masses are entirely two different things.

At this stage in the game, you aren't going to hear much about 2A, abortion, etc. To win, you have to reach the masses and stay on message. That's what Ryan did. That's what any politician 30 days before an election would do.

While a "We should eliminate all gun laws" would sound nice to the majority here, it would disenfranchise millions of other voters. “We need to enforce the laws we have” satisfies many on the left and doesn’t piss off those on the right. It was a good politically neutral message.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Adopted Platforms and 20-second sound bites to reach the masses are entirely two different things.

At this stage in the game, you aren't going to hear much about 2A, abortion, etc. To win, you have to reach the masses and stay on message. That's what Ryan did. That's what any politician 30 days before an election would do.

While a "We should eliminate all gun laws" would sound nice to the majority here, it would disenfranchise millions of other voters. “We need to enforce the laws we have” satisfies many on the left and doesn’t piss off those on the right. It was a good politically neutral message.

I'm kinda expecting that line of questioning at the VP debate.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Sounds to me as if the reporter was trying to bait him into saying something controversial - thus leading to a "gotcha" moment. Ryan didn't take the bait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom