• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    Went out last yesterday, got nothing, saw nothing. Last Friday, same spot, nice 8 pointer chasing a doe but i couldn't take a shot. They were moving too fast. An hour later, saw a small buck, didn't take a shot because it was too dark.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This evening was a total bust again. The whole area has dried up. No deer at all. Been out ten or so times and not one sighting. None on the roads going in early in the morning. None on the roads coming out in the evening. VANISHED. I think the harvesting equipment has them totally freaked out right now. The machines have been working the local soy bean fields really hard this week. Discouragement setting in.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Headin out to the back field this AM. Dragged a q-tip with scent thru a trail a few days ago and hung some wicks, did the same last nite and freshened the wicks. Saw a few old and a couple fresh scrapes. Gonna be chilly dressin in the barn this morning, I'm hopin the cold front will head em out to the bean field.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Headin out to the back field this AM. Dragged a q-tip with scent thru a trail a few days ago and hung some wicks, did the same last nite and freshened the wicks. Saw a few old and a couple fresh scrapes. Gonna be chilly dressin in the barn this morning, I'm hopin the cold front will head em out to the bean field.

Good luck to you. I have not been able to get in the woods in just over a week now. Everytime I get geared up and find the interest something comes up. Guys wonder why I disappear from my work bench here in this shop and it's because if I don't lock the door and run out I'll never get to hunt.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I saw a large 4pt(but thick & long) buck that I would have shot had it come any closer than it did. I observed it in the crosshairs for a couple minutes before quietly getting up and attempting to close the distance somewhat. He wandered back into the woods slowly from whence he came apparently not even aware I was there. I have seen only doe and immature animals to this point in 2013 so actually seeing a buck while NOT DRIVING was a thrill even if I ultimately couldn't take a shot.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Guh, moved to my other spot this morning since I have been seeing a lot of deer travel through there. I have seen multiple does each morning I have hunted (while leaving). So I moved my ground blind over there Sunday just in case I decided to use it.

Friken 20 something this morning! Not a single deer to be seen. Go figure...still kicking myself on my miss on Monday....

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    This evening was a total bust again. The whole area has dried up. No deer at all. Been out ten or so times and not one sighting. None on the roads going in early in the morning. None on the roads coming out in the evening. VANISHED. I think the harvesting equipment has them totally freaked out right now. The machines have been working the local soy bean fields really hard this week. Discouragement setting in.

Don't get to down. Is this your first year? I try to just enjoy the woods and the beauty of it all. Try to look at it that way, some peace and quiet.

I saw a red fox this morning but no deer. The fox was really cool to watch from a distance.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Don't get to down. Is this your first year? I try to just enjoy the woods and the beauty of it all. Try to look at it that way, some peace and quiet.

I saw a red fox this morning but no deer. The fox was really cool to watch from a distance.

he's got a few this year...You guys should be thankful you can get more than one deer tag per season.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I could use a little peace and quiet. Every anal retentive within a 1/4 mile has to run his leaf blower each evening. I couldn't tell you what a leaf rake looked like. One guy close by holds a soccer match for local kids every Tuesday. All the screaming brats are just the icing on the cake.

The country ain't what it used to be. I grew up in the Hereford area in the mid 70's when it was still country folk living there. A beater vehicle was a broke-dick Ford pick-up and the Sunday go to meeting vehicle was a new Chevy Blazer.

Now it's Volvos, Subarus, and Mini Coopers.

And don't even get me started on the Antis.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    You only get ONE tag per year? That sucks.

I would go into withdrawls if I could only whack one deer a year.

yeah I think its liberal-dem-hippie-tree huggers that made that rule up...but we have other game here to hunt...bear, elk, are OTC tags...pronghorn, bighorn sheep, moose are draw tags.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Stuck a small rack 6 pt at 30 yds. just before 7 but not well enough:sad20: The arrow went clean thru but he was kinda quartering toward me and I must have missed vitals. Looking back I probly should've let him go but he had circled back 10 mins after I first saw him following the scent trail I laid. That part worked like it should at least. I trailed from 1 patch of woods, across a bean field, thru our pasture and back down into woods again, across the creek into the neighboring farm and finally lost the blood trail in their pasture:sad20: It petered out in the grass and I couldn't find any more no matter how wide a circle I cast. I had marked the last 2 blood spots with sticks and kept going back to them but got nowhere. I was hoping he doubled back down into thickets on our place or was piled up along a fenceline but no such luck. I followed the direction he was headed til I could see the road and a church school full of cars and figgered I better stop there. It was 9:30 by then and I gave up. I am bummed.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Stuck a small rack 6 pt at 30 yds. just before 7 but not well enough:sad20: The arrow went clean thru but he was kinda quartering toward me and I must have missed vitals. Looking back I probly should've let him go but he had circled back 10 mins after I first saw him following the scent trail I laid. That part worked like it should at least. I trailed from 1 patch of woods, across a bean field, thru our pasture and back down into woods again, across the creek into the neighboring farm and finally lost the blood trail in their pasture:sad20: It petered out in the grass and I couldn't find any more no matter how wide a circle I cast. I had marked the last 2 blood spots with sticks and kept going back to them but got nowhere. I was hoping he doubled back down into thickets on our place or was piled up along a fenceline but no such luck. I followed the direction he was headed til I could see the road and a church school full of cars and figgered I better stop there. It was 9:30 by then and I gave up. I am bummed.

what color was the blood? and did it smell like a gut shot?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

That's what I am worried about. Sticking my first deer to never be able to find it.

Sorry mate.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Rut is on for sure, saw 5 different bucks today and 3 of them were hot on a doe. I took a smallish rack 7pt with a big body, probably 160lb or so dressed? 45 yard shot with crossbow, went clean through, double lung,expired quick. Now the work starts lol

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Rut is on for sure, saw 5 different bucks today and 3 of them were hot on a doe. I took a smallish rack 7pt with a big body, probably 160lb or so dressed? 45 yard shot with crossbow, went clean through, double lung,expired quick. Now the work starts lol

Congrats! Got any pics?

I think its started here too...ive seen 3 different bucks where I hadn't seen any since early spring...on camera. Yesterday I got a cam pic of a huge buck. with possible split brow tines.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Congrats! Got any pics?

I think its started here too...ive seen 3 different bucks where I hadn't seen any since early spring...on camera. Yesterday I got a cam pic of a huge buck. with possible split brow tines.

Again nothing great but I've passed up too many bucks already. Only killed 2 bucks with my bow ever and this one stood broadside at 45 yards calling me name.

20131109_105103_zps99c8d6cd.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Again nothing great but I've passed up too many bucks already. Only killed 2 bucks with my bow ever and this one stood broadside at 45 yards calling me name.

20131109_105103_zps99c8d6cd.jpg

Nice buck...looks like a good sized one...IMO anything taken with a bow is great! All are trophies in my book...they may not measure up to B&C scores...but all recovered deer are an accomplishment in my book.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    what color was the blood? and did it smell like a gut shot?

The blood was bright red and yea, the arrow stank. I was talking to one of the guys at work and he said if I'd of waited a couple hrs more he probly would of laid down and bled out-I was pushing him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom