• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Is it standard to see the SN stamped on the receiver sidewall to match the barrel? There are also 2 English letters overstamped the Cyrillic on the barrel. I guess that's the English translation of the 2 letters. Did the Russians do this?

10A054E7-82AD-4CAF-9095-AC2BBEA000E2.JPG

899D4865-2A43-45CA-B015-1322519FAB24.JPG

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have no clue to be honest, maybe an importer did that?

Only thing that comes to mind since the IB on the top of the receiver looks like it was done at a later date.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Is it standard to see the SN stamped on the receiver sidewall to match the barrel? There are also 2 English letters overstamped the Cyrillic on the barrel. I guess that's the English translation of the 2 letters. Did the Russians do this?

Weird!

Normally, a number on indicates the number for the associated sniper scope, but scope numbers are not usually the same as the serial. Can you see any filled holes on the left side of the open portion of the chamber??

Last edited:

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012

The "IB" stamped over the top serial is DEFINITELY from the arsenal refinish. You can tell from the "glow" they have. The fact that the side-serial has the same "IB" means that was done at the same time.

If the reciever doesn;t have scope-mount holes, then I'd have to assume it was due to Yuri or Vaclav not knowing WTF he was doing.

If it DOES have mount holes, then this is an entirely new beast that I cannot understand...maybe a weirdly reassembled ex-sniper that got an M44 barrel...?

Last edited:

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

I have the same thing... only I have 3 English letters (ZHV) above the Cyrillic letters on the barrel and then proceed the SN on the sidewall. Its an older CAI import I picked up in the mid 90's from Roses over on the Eastern shore. To be honest, I never gave it much thought until I saw your post.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    No holes, receiver is original. Dated 1944r. Nothing out of the ordinary when I took it put of the wood except for some wierd marks that kinda look like claw marks.

Still wondering why they numbered the barrel to the receiver during refurb. Hummm....

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 108

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Importer translation of Cyrillic letters - ATF requires this.
    Most likely the importer did the serial on the receiver as well as the US considers the receiver the actual firearm. No reason for anyone else to do it.

These are both very common and I have dozens of rifles marked so.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Importer translation of Cyrillic letters - ATF requires this.
    Most likely the importer did the serial on the receiver as well as the US considers the receiver the actual firearm. No reason for anyone else to do it.

These are both very common and I have dozens of rifles marked so.

+1 This is an early Century Arms import, and all of the early ones have the cyrillic translation stamped above the prefix letters and the Translated serial along the receiver, as yours shows. Your import mark will either be at the very end of the barrel near the muzzle or may even be marked on the bayonet lug, as my 1948 M44 CAI import is.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    +1 This is an early Century Arms import, and all of the early ones have the cyrillic translation stamped above the prefix letters and the Translated serial along the receiver, as yours shows. Your import mark will either be at the very end of the barrel near the muzzle or may even be marked on the bayonet lug, as my 1948 M44 CAI import is.

Makes sense and mine is an early CAI import. It isn't as pretty as the M44's imported the last few months, but then again I think it was like $42 bucks.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012

winner1.jpg

TIL not to speak until grownups speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom