• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    So im a very Pro 2A card carrying Democrat(wait did he really say that) disabled veteran(post 9/11) and at one point was looking at running for a city council seat in Hyattsville(decided to hold off) and may instead look toward State house next year. Im wondering if any members here have run for office in Maryland and what obstacles have they found. As im a federal worker I would have to leave my job to do this so thats one major obstacle. Im posting this here as the 2A issue would be a major hurdle to tackle im sure as I would be running in Prince George's County. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Thank you for your service. I think being pro-2A would be an obstacle as a democrat and being a democrat regarding all of the other issues would be an issue for most members here.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    So knowing that in a county like Prince George's where they will most likely never elect a republican my being a democrat would keep my fellow shooting enthusiasts to support parts of the political campaign. Im a bit confused on that. It seems one of the larger issues we have is persons on both sides voting the party line without actually knowing where the people stand just because they belong to the same political party. But in what im reading and correct me if this is a wrong statement by being a democrat we wouldnt have common ground?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    My advice as a former candidate, dont talk about anything that isnt important to your constituents. Since you are pro-2A and it isnt on the ballot I doubt it is high on their importance list. Dont fill out any questionnaires you dont agree with. Also raise lots of money and get your team together. You have 12 months until the primary so you should start immediately. I would also recommend picking out a marketing company, usually party specific (repub/dem). This is the person you will have do your printing and your surveys to see what people in your district care about. This will help you tailor your message. There is a great deal more but thats a quick "to-do" lis

Also, one quick tip. Also run for the democratic state central committee. Its comes up first on the ballot and it gives them a spot on the ballot where they will see your name before the house/senate.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Kudos to you. While I appreciate what some of the movements like "DINOs" are trying to do, what we really need is more "Blue Dogs"...Democrat politicians who still respect individual civil rights and endorse personal responsibility. There's nothing anywhere that says larger governmental social and economic problems HAVE to go hand-in-hand with infringement of individual citizen rights.

RKBA should not be a partisan issue in the first place, and it's a shame that it's become partisan in recent times, with most people assuming that "R" means you support it and "D" means you're against it. The Democratic party at large needs to drop resistance to gun rights from their party platform, or soon their resistance to public opinion on that matter is going to take them the same road as the Republicans and their resistance to gay marriage.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    So knowing that in a county like Prince George's where they will most likely never elect a republican my being a democrat would keep my fellow shooting enthusiasts to support parts of the political campaign. Im a bit confused on that. It seems one of the larger issues we have is persons on both sides voting the party line without actually knowing where the people stand just because they belong to the same political party. But in what im reading and correct me if this is a wrong statement by being a democrat we wouldnt have common ground?

If you are for higher taxes, more regulation, illegal immigration, and any of the other issues Maryland democrats support, then no, I wouldn't vote for you just based on one issue we would agree on such as the Second Amendment.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    To Second Amendment:

Let me say this that im for a change in the tax code first at the state level and then hopefully some day at the national level but no if im paying the same taxes which i do then no i do not agree that raising them solves anything and dont support them being higher. Out of Status immigrants are a national issue(ill share that i do work in that field as a profession and have a child that will some day be a legal immigrant and citizen but at this time doesnt live here in the US) so i doubt i would have much to do with it. As far as more regulation what do you mean? Your for the Libertarian approach to do away with the majority of government or what exactally so I can understand?

To Squirrels:
    I agree i think many assume that when you say democrat that your for taking away or squashing all any other party belives in(and some do this). My choice of being a True Blue is that it has the closest match to what I believe in and while dont agree on everything any Party totes as the party line this has become the one i associate most well with.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    NavyATFP, by all means run for office. I am an Independant, and as a rule won't vote for anyone in either major party, but that's me. We need folks in office with common sense and legislate based on the Constitution, not by what is "politically correct". I think in the state of MD, and many others in the NE and west coast, change will have to come from within the Democratic party since they have such control over the sheeple that vote. Given that, my advice to you would be to be low key regarding the 2a issues and lie through our teeth like all other politicians do just to get elected. Once in office, do what is right, not what you promised.

It's sad that that is what this country has degenerated to, but it may be the only way to get it back on the tracks.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    To Second Amendment:

Let me say this that im for a change in the tax code first at the state level and then hopefully some day at the national level but no if im paying the same taxes which i do then no i do not agree that raising them solves anything and dont support them being higher. Out of Status immigrants are a national issue(ill share that i do work in that field as a profession and have a child that will some day be a legal immigrant and citizen but at this time doesnt live here in the US) so i doubt i would have much to do with it. As far as more regulation what do you mean? Your for the Libertarian approach to do away with the majority of government or what exactally so I can understand?
    To Squirrels:
    I agree i think many assume that when you say democrat that your for taking away or squashing all any other party belives in(and some do this). My choice of being a True Blue is that it has the closest match to what I believe in and while dont agree on everything any Party totes as the party line this has become the one i associate most well with.

Limited government, though I think we are past the point of return. As to regulations, I'll point you to the "rain tax" just passed by the MSL.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    I have no intentions of "lieing through my teeth" to get elected if I do make this decision. Im just very tired of standing by and watching others make a mess of whats become my home state in these last few years. I think you are right though in that it can and will take is some reform inside any party that made the votes they did on SB281 this year more about threats inside the party instead of common sense and the views of the vocal constituents.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Limited government, though I think we are past the point of return. As to regulations, I'll point you to the "rain tax" just passed by the MSL.

I agree I think any form of limited government at this point and time may be a dream that left the country long ago. As for the RAIN TAX I honestly cant give you my take on it as it hasnt begun as far as I know yet and still am trying to wait and see what it costs me at my home. The concept seems a bit strange when we could look more towards an established direct sales tax on all items in the State(and nationally) and do away with alot of these other silly taxes trying to make up the difference.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I agree I think any form of limited government at this point and time may be a dream that left the country long ago. As for the RAIN TAX I honestly cant give you my take on it as it hasnt begun as far as I know yet and still am trying to wait and see what it costs me at my home. The concept seems a bit strange when we could look more towards an established direct sales tax on all items in the State(and nationally) and do away with alot of these other silly taxes trying to make up the difference.

The real damage from this will be felt by business. I work at a HUGE facility and our tax bill will be in the tens of thousands per year. This is not only a tax, but it falls under the category of regulation as it's an EPA mandate.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have no intentions of "lieing through my teeth" to get elected if I do make this decision. Im just very tired of standing by and watching others make a mess of whats become my home state in these last few years. I think you are right though in that it can and will take is some reform inside any party that made the votes they did on SB281 this year more about threats inside the party instead of common sense and the views of the vocal constituents.

Unfortunatly there is no such thing as an honest politician. If you run an honest campain, anticipate not being elected. Maybe I'm a little too cynical. I hope you do run, and I hope you can remain honest, and I hope you do get elected and do good things in office. All the best.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Interesting and thank you. This could then have the repercussion of causing businesses to put people out of work or cut back their hours to cover the costs. This is one of my major concerns as I know way to many veterans here out of work while the state and national government keeps pronouncing this is getting better. I'll have to read into this a bit more today while im sitting here at the VA.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Unfortunatly there is no such thing as an honest politician. If you run an honest campain, anticipate not being elected. Maybe I'm a little too cynical. I hope you do run, and I hope you can remain honest, and I hope you do get elected and do good things in office. All the best.

Thank you, first things first is figuring out how ill live off just disability(federal workers cant run in partisan elections) but past that I hope that your cynacism becomes unfounded. There is still some great political leaders but sometimes they get overshadowed by the stupidity of others they work with.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thank you, first things first is figuring out how ill live off just disability(federal workers cant run in partisan elections) but past that I hope that your cynacism becomes unfounded. There is still some great political leaders but sometimes they get overshadowed by the stupidity of others they work with.

Funny how the Federal Government has taken away the First Amendment rights of federal workers. I'm aslo a federal employee annd subject to this problem. I would like to run for either state or federal office but can't since I work for the gubment. Guess I'll have to wait until I retire to try that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the entry level , all politics is local. You need to have a platform of intrest to your constituants regarding local concerns. Without mentioning 2A . You will need to present yourself as at least palitable to the County Democratic Committe. Once you make it into office you can be more outspoken on 2A . As long as you also deliver on local issues and constituant service.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    At the entry level , all politics is local. You need to have a platform of intrest to your constituants regarding local concerns. Without mentioning 2A . You will need to present yourself as at least palitable to the County Democratic Committe. Once you make it into office you can be more outspoken on 2A . As long as you also deliver on local issues and constituant service.

Thanks, that I do understand and also am a member of PG Young Democrats( a bit older than many but a full time student also so a good group for me) as Im most concerned locally and was the reason I first looked at city council. I cant start pursuing county and higher backing as at that point i can run into an ethics violation with my job at the moment.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think that we need people to raise up and try to run for office as pro-2a Democrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom