• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    Hey all looking for some advice. I'm interested in a ruger Super Blackhawk model 0814. Various models of the blackhawk are listed on the MD gun roster, however, 0814 isn't one of them. Not sure if it falls under one the general categories.... roster is clear as mud which is by design :(

Tia for any help.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I thought they removed the model number requirement from the roster. Make and calibers need to be on the list but check with one of our FFL industry partners. I’ve done many transfers of things from Tyler firearms and they’ve also been able to get me many of the guns I’ve been looking for over the years.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    The model 0814 will fall under the New Model Super Blackhawk and will be legal to purchase in MD. Let me know if you need me to track one down for you.

Thanks

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    From the roster:
    Model: NEW MODEL SUPER BLACKHAWK
    Model Number: N/A
    Caliber: 44 Mag, 44 Spl, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger

Model numbers are gone.
    JLowe beat me to it!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The model 0814 will fall under the New Model Super Blackhawk and will be legal to purchase in MD. Let me know if you need me to track one down for you.

Thanks

Legal as John notes. Not legal for Maryland deer hunting though, in case that's perhaps applicable to you, by virtue of not being at least 6 inches in barrel length.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Legal as John notes. Not legal for Maryland deer hunting though, in case that's perhaps applicable to you, by virtue of not being at least 6 inches in barrel length.

Legal for Bambi in Va . WV , and Pa .
    And highly suitable for Bambi in real world terms .

Maryland was an early adopter of handgun hunting back in the day ..But 50 years later , they're stuck back there .

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk and it shoots superb. Get one and you will not regret it. Getting into reloading for it gives you the freedom to shoot very frequently.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Maryland was an early adopter of handgun hunting back in the day ..But 50 years later , they're stuck back there .
    I thought all straight walled cartridges were legal to shoot in MD now regardless of the firearm? My dad was using his S&W 500 this past fall.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

1689162601861.png

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    MD - what an entirely fvcked up cesspool of firearms-legislative fantasy and delusion!!!!!!!

(where ONLY the law abiding and NON criminal tax payers are punished, over and over and over …)

:sad20:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I thought all straight walled cartridges were legal to shoot in MD now regardless of the firearm? My dad was using his S&W 500 this past fall.

For deer hunting, Maryland has a set of regulations for rifle, and a separate set of regulations for handgun.

With regard to handgun, Maryland specifies two requirements. One is a minimum 6 inch barrel length. The other is a minimum of muzzle 700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

"Handguns used for deer hunting must have a barrel length of six inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot pounds or more. Consult ammunition guides for ballistics information."

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    For deer hunting, Maryland has a set of regulations for rifle, and a separate set of regulations for handgun.

With regard to handgun, Maryland specifies two requirements. One is a minimum 6 inch barrel length. The other is a minimum of muzzle 700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

"Handguns used for deer hunting must have a barrel length of six inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot pounds or more. Consult ammunition guides for ballistics information."
    This.

Screenshot_20230712-102356_Chrome.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Missed it by an inch and a half. I figured it was at least 6" but didn't look up the exact model. The cartridge would be sufficient though at just 742 ft lbs.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    We have multiple Redhawk, Blackhawk, New Model and Supers sitting in a case in our showroom - 44mag, 45 colt, (1) 357mag blackhawk, and 2 in 41mag.... :innocent0

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I had originally gotten one to go with my Marlin/Ruger 1894 in 357 and was disappointed with it give other than a type of safety it's designed to be more like a late 19th century firearm. The ability to get the cylinder back in place give and the pin locked in position given it does not have the accoutrements of a more modern revolver where it just plips out and in. There is a bit of a trick to get it to work and it's awkward plus was not happy with the site they do not painter the front side and the sight picture stinks ended up painting it myself and switching to a one hole style peep site before I could shoot with any accuracy.
    In the sold it lost a $100 on the deal and wished I had just saved more for a GP100. Also BTW the 6in barrel version is really a bit front end heavy to shoot with as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom