• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I came across this video and wanted to share it with you guys. So you might want to check for this play and if you have it know that Ruger will repair it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxD-3vdd7uw

Some comments:

That's outright unsafe: Unless the barrel is fully up against the slide, the locking surfaces are not propertly engaged; and worst case scenario, it could fire in an unlocked codition. . . Not good for anyone standing behind.

I just checked my unfired Ruger SR1911 CMD the barrel on mine moves about 1/2 way down as much as that one does. The slide does move back a tiny bit when the barrel is pressed down maybe 1/64" if that much. My slide doesn't move back near as much as the one your showing does. I checked my Sig, Colt .45 ACP and RIA 10mm 1911s and none have any movement and are locked up tight. Something to keep an eye on with the Ruger that's for sure. Thanks for the video.

I contacted Ruger about this issue and they asked me to send the gun back for inspection. The way my luck goes Ruger will send it back to me and say it's normal.

Update. I sent my Ruger SR1911 CMD back to Ruger because it was doing just as the one in this video was doing. I mailed it off on 09-18-2013 received the gun back on 09-26-2013. Ruger replaced the barrel link and test fired 28 rounds of ammo through it. The pistol is tight now like it should have been before it left the factory. Free shipping both ways also, yes I'm very happy with Ruger customer service.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I checked my SR1911CMD, it is tight.
    I did notice the white bead on the front sight is missing though. Geez, and only 100 rounds through it!

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Just got mine the other day and she's tight but she's never been shot. AGC was not open for normal business today, but first order of business tomorrow. We'll see how the lockup is after a few rounds.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That is typical movement on many production level guns. It is a meaningless evaluation except to indicate there is more than zero vertical clearance at lockup. All the USGI 1911's and 1911-A1's are built like that. Civilian copies of the USGI pistol are similarly built.

I love all the calibrated thumbs which can measure to a thousandth of an inch doing that type of check. More an indication of people with cameras, internet access and a lack of understanding of how differently the 1911 cost tiers are fitted.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    If you look closely at the video, you'll see that the slide is actually moving back very slightly when the user is pressing down. Isn't the barrel supposed to move down and unlock from the slide as it moves back?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If you look closely at the video, you'll see that the slide is actually moving back very slightly when the user is pressing down. Isn't the barrel supposed to move down and unlock from the slide as it moves back?

That is what happens with a lttle vertical clearance. Pushing on the back of the barrel causes the curved part of the lower lugs pushing against the slide stop pin and the toggling of the barrel link to occur. The mechanical advantage is then on the side of the barrel being pushed down and back the slide against recoil spring force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom