• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • liv4spd

Dec 31, 2023
    Maryland, USA
    I'm trying to buy a 6-shot revolver that is around $600. Right now, I'm torn between SP101 327 Fed Mag and the Kimber K6XS.

Here are some major differences:
    1. The SP101 uses 327 Fed Mag, so that ammo availability is not as good as the K6XS which uses 38 spl.
    2. I kind of like the exposed hammer spur of the SP101 vs. the shrouded one for K6XS.
    3. The SP101 is 28 oz, while the K6XS is only 16 oz.

Anyone has own these two revolvers? Thanks.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I have a Ruger LCRx in .327 mag. While you won't walk into Wal-Mart and buy the ammo it's available easily online. Much more expensive as compared to 38 special, though. I also like shooting 32 Long in it for training...same recoil as a 22LR.

liv4spd

Dec 31, 2023
    Maryland, USA
    I have a Ruger LCRx in .327 mag. While you won't walk into Wal-Mart and buy the ammo it's available easily online. Much more expensive as compared to 38 special, though. I also like shooting 32 Long in it for training...same recoil as a 22LR.

Thanks for sharing. Wow, the recoil seems to be a major advantage compared to 357 mag / 38 spl revolvers.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Can shoot 327, 32mag, 32long (and usually) 32acp from a 327 revolver.

That said, one can also get a mild 38 target load and go up to +P for more power.

Both good revolvers, bit different though so a bit hard to compare. The Kimber will carry easier but light guns like that will be a handful with hot ammo.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm trying to buy a 6-shot revolver that is around $600. Right now, I'm torn between SP101 327 Fed Mag and the Kimber K6XS.

1. The SP101 uses 327 Fed Mag, so that ammo availability is not as good as the K6XS which uses 38 spl.
    2. I kind of like the exposed hammer spur of the SP101 vs. the shrouded one for K6XS.

To complicate your decision, Kimber makes an exposed hammer model, K6 DASA. Most are longer than what you seem to be looking for, but it comes in 2" as well.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The guns themselves aren't so wildly different, but the ammo sure is. I love the idea of .327, but I'll never pay for enough of it to become proficient. I have plenty of target grade .38 though and it's pretty commonly available. Is this a gun you're planning to carry?

liv4spd

Dec 31, 2023
    Maryland, USA
    The guns themselves aren't so wildly different, but the ammo sure is. I love the idea of .327, but I'll never pay for enough of it to become proficient. I have plenty of target grade .38 though and it's pretty commonly available. Is this a gun you're planning to carry?

Not so much. I love guns but not a big fan of carrying a gun around.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Fair enough. For what it's worth, I have a 5-shot Sp-101 in .357. It's absolutely one of my favorite range guns. It's a hefty, solid, well built little handful of dynamite. I can load it with paper punching .38s and a new shooter can try a revolver, or I can load the gnarliest Buffalo Bore .357s and watch fireballs. I think you'd be very pleased with the Ruger if you decide on that.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland

Why not get the SP101 in .357? They are just over $600, while the Kimber is much more.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Suggestion- get your Handgun Permit, so you have the freedom of choice NOT to carry, but may do so if the need arises. (like having a spare tire)

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    One is clearly designed as an everyday carry (Kimber) the other is an all-around revolver. Kind of apples and oranges on the comparison. What are you looking for the most, should be a much better determining factor between these two.

liv4spd

Dec 31, 2023
    Maryland, USA
    Fair enough. For what it's worth, I have a 5-shot Sp-101 in .357. It's absolutely one of my favorite range guns. It's a hefty, solid, well built little handful of dynamite. I can load it with paper punching .38s and a new shooter can try a revolver, or I can load the gnarliest Buffalo Bore .357s and watch fireballs. I think you'd be very pleased with the Ruger if you decide on that.

Good to hear this. If the SP101 series is that good, I might take the 327 version. I prefer the one extra shot, and less recoil.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

I'll make a case that the guns are more widely different than the ammo .

A better pairing would be to ask about. 38/ 357 SP101 vs ultralight. 32 .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'll make a case that the guns are more widely different than the ammo .

A better pairing would be to ask about. 38/ 357 SP101 vs ultralight. 32 .
    Yeah, you're right. I wasn't considering the weight difference when I wrote that.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018

If this is not for carry and you want 6 (or 7) shots at $600 or below in a lower recoiling somewhat compact revolver, just get a ruger gp100 with the 2.75 or 3" barrel. I like the gp100 trigger much better than the sp101 trigger.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

What is the primary use - i.e., range gun or HD? I know that you mentioned that it wouldn't be a carry gun. If it's not a carry gun, I'd go with a heavier gun/longer barrel (3" or greater) and rule out the K6XS. Smaller .38s can be really snappy and less than fun to shoot beyond a few rounds at the range. My 13.5 oz LCR beats the hell out of my thumb if I shoot a box of 50 .38spl+p during a range session.

Last edited:

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    If this is not for carry and you want 6 (or 7) shots at $600 or below in a lower recoiling somewhat compact revolver, just get a ruger gp100 with the 2.75 or 3" barrel. I like the gp100 trigger much better than the sp101 trigger.
    I would love to try your GP100 cuz the spurless 357 sp101 I have has a really smooth trigger.
    I also have a 22lr sp101 and the trigger on that doesn't even come close to the 357.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I would love to try your GP100 cuz the spurless 357 sp101 I have has a really smooth trigger.
    I also have a 22lr sp101 and the trigger on that doesn't even come close to the 357.
    Rimfire, regardless of brand is generally going to have a heavier trigger.

I ended up with a smith performance center instead of the gp100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom