• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Before the issue popped up, how does the 327 shoot? copmpared to other calibers?

I was wondering that too. I recently read an article on this round. Looked very impressive AND it has the added benefit of chambering .32S&W, .32S&W Long, and .32 H&R Mag...cool :thumbsup:

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Well i'm still relatively inexperienced, only revolvers i've shot more than 12 rounds or so through are the .327 and a .38 snubnose. So I cant compare it to a .357 like all the magazines have been doing. All around a good gun.

Cons:
    The factory grips are garbage, couldn't grip the gun properly with them. So I put on a Pachmayr grip and that made a huge difference. With the new grips it has a natural feel and good balance.

Only other complaint is the trigger feels clunky to me. But I've found a Wilson Combat Spring kit that is supposed to fix that problem.

Pros:
    Accurate until the barrel turned, it shot a little to the left and I was going to adjust rear sight but then barrel got screwed up. :rolleyes:

Its nice being able to shoot .32 S&W, .32S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and the .327 Federal through one gun. I picked up some cheap .32 S&W long, about 2/3 the cost of the .327 so i can shoot cheaper plus my girl likes the .32's.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Only other complaint is the trigger feels clunky to me. But I've found a Wilson Combat Spring kit that is supposed to fix that problem.

For what it's worth, as much as I love my GP-100 and Sp-101, trigger springs aren't Ruger's strongest attribute. Both of mine now use Wolff spring kits.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Update:

Ruger had UPS pick up the gun from my business today. I will let you all know when I get the gun back, hopefully sooner than later.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    UPDATE -- WEEK 4

I called Ruger service department today. The techincian has had gun since April 9th. The only thing the lady could tell me is the technician found the beginning of a crack in the cylinder. She will be calling me in next 36 hours to update me on the status with more detail.

So with less than 250 rounds through it my .327 SP101's barrel turned and the cylinder cracked. Doesn't say much for the quality of the gun but I am glad they found the beginning of a future problem while it was in the shop. And so far I am happy with Ruger's customer service. Let y'all know when I get her back!

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    They crush fit the revolver barrels into the frame, counting on the tightness to keep the barrel rotated on properly. In olden days, a pin was driven through the top, keeping it from happening. Then Ruger "perfected" the process and the world lived happily ever after.

I suppose you could put the barrel in a padded vice, then use the wooden handle of a large hammer to crank the barrel back into alignment. This would be only a quick fix if you happened to carry your gun each day.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Losing Patience!

Called Ruger on Monday which would be Day 40 without my revolver. When I spoke with the lady she said they received the new cylinders in the end of March but there are so many .327s in the shop to be worked on she has no idea when they will get to mine. I told them I was not happy, and asked to speak to a supervisor, the lady on the phone said she'd take my number and would see if a supervisor would want to call me back later. 48 hours and no response! :mad54:

Suffice it to say -- Ruger has some real quality control issues -- 2 major problems in under 300 rounds. If anyone is thinking about a .327 SP101, I'd wait a while for them to work the bugs out.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Hell, my GP100 has been back to Ruger as long if not longer than your SP101 and no word on it coming back either. Mine was sent through the FFL I purchased it from, so you would think there may be more leverage. :sad20:

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Just got off the phone with Ruger service department. They said this should not have happened, of course. it shouldn't have, lol. They will arrange a Fedex Pickup to fix my gun. Only downside is 4 - 6 weeks to repair.

4 to 6 weeks isn't bad considering I heard of someone who was sending their S&W built gun back to the factory where they said it may be up to 4 months to repair what-ever their problem was? Sorry, I forgot what their problem ended up being? A recall I think?

I just wonder if they use any type of the Red Loctite on the threads for the barrels? Or if they just tighten these barrels down to a certain point and call them good? I'm sure they'll fix it and make it right, but I don't think they'll tell anyone exactly what they did to fix the problem. At least they accepted the fact it was their fault and are fixing it for free shipping and all.

Good Luck.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Called Ruger on Monday which would be Day 40 without my revolver. When I spoke with the lady she said they received the new cylinders in the end of March but there are so many .327s in the shop to be worked on she has no idea when they will get to mine. I told them I was not happy, and asked to speak to a supervisor, the lady on the phone said she'd take my number and would see if a supervisor would want to call me back later. 48 hours and no response! :mad54:

Suffice it to say -- Ruger has some real quality control issues -- 2 major problems in under 300 rounds. If anyone is thinking about a .327 SP101, I'd wait a while for them to work the bugs out.

Did anyone say the barrel coming loose caused the the cylinder to crack?

Hey, when you get your gun back you'll forget all about how long it took. Plus if you think about it they'll most likely be spending more time repairing your revolver than they did producing it. You can think about it as that of a Custom Built Revolver built especially for you.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I think Ruger might be stepping up production too much for the current demand at the sacrifice of QA. I have been extremely cautious lately as many gun manufacturers are very backordered and they are going to try to make hay while the sun shines so to speak. Current economy dictates that they need to take advantage of the situation and just send them out, let the warranty folks handle the ones that come back seems to be the thought process.

Who woulda thought that a Ruger revolver would be hard to get, yet they are. I heard they are backordered by the tens of thousands and when that happens something has to give and I think in most cases it will be QA. I have heard good things about Rugers customer service though so I think you guys will be good to go.

I think a lot of these gun manufacturers are stepping up production just to keep collecting the money thats out there from people wanting to buy guns.
    A good friend of ours has been working at Beretta in Accokeek, MD for 10 hour days. They were getting their workforce to do their 40 hours in four days, but since this gun buying spree started everyone at Beretta now works 5 ten hour days. Oh, and it's mandatory to work those hours from what they said.

So I agree production runs like these would certainly lead to a few guns having some kind of issues. Even though I used Beretta as an example of how many hours their employees work trying to play catch-up with demand, I really have not heard of any problems with the guns they are producing?

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Well she's finally come back home to me. After 10 weeks Ruger has returned my SP101 .327 with a new cylinder and a properly aligned (for now) barrel. Woohoo!!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well she's finally come back home to me. After 10 weeks Ruger has returned my SP101 .327 with a new cylinder and a properly aligned (for now) barrel. Woohoo!!

Keep us posted how this goes. I'll be interested to see if the problem returns after some heavy use.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Gun arrived in the case with no paperwork. In all my conversations with Ruger there was no indication given by them as to why the problems occurred, just that they had alot of .327 Magnums in there with cracked cylinders and that was the reason for the delay. You never get to speak to someone who knows whats really going on like a tech or service manager, just the customer service reps. If anything else pops up with the gun ill be sure to post here.

Correction: Found the RO in the owner's manual sent with the gun. They Replaced the Barrel, Cylinder, Crane, Internal Components of Revolver. They Repaired Cylinder release button. So it seems like they rebuilt the entire gun around the frame.

Last edited:

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    12 weeks Ruger had my GP 100 and they pretty much rebuilt the entire gun around the frame also. Dan and Ron from GC said they can't recall seeing a better built Ruger revolver with such great action as how this one was returned. Dan said it was basically a custom job for the price of waiting 12 weeks. Now to get the time to take it out and run some (not many though as 38 and 357 is scarce and not cheap) through it. I'd like to thank GC for all their help through the process and constant contact to minimize my worries and taking the time to explain all of the details from what was wrong to what Ruger repaired. They are the type of people I'd drive the extra mileage to buy the same thing near me for the same price or even a little more just to make sure they stay around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom