• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    Well before hitting the range again I thought I would do a trigger job on my single action Ruger. This morning I ordered a Wolf spring kit and can't wait for it to come in. I was wondering if it is worth shimming the trigger and hammer while apart? Doe's it really make that much difference? Any thoughts on this I appreciate.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yeah, you only need to shim them if they are really wobbly side-to-side. You don't want to tighten a Ruger too much. They are built to work right with a little bit of "play". The spring that will make the biggest difference in pull weight will be the trigger return spring. Make sure to check reliable ignition with either of the lighter mainsprings from the kit should you use them.

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    Thanks, still waiting on spring kit. The trigger pull now has a sandy feeling. I hope I can at least smooth it out a bit. Great gun just hard to hold on target. If it smooths out than the rest is up to me.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If the pull feels "sandy", you may need to just take it apart and see if there is dirt or debris inside the action that needs to be cleaned out. There could also be a burr on a part inside that causes the pull to feel rough.

But if only the trigger pull (not the hammer cocking) feels rough, the sear on the trigger and/or the notch on the hammer may have a rough surface. If so, tread CAUTIOUSLY if you decide to smooth them....you don't want to change the surface angles of either or remove too much metal.

Unfortunately, the spring kit only lightens the pull. Dosen't do much to smooth out roughness. I hope you open it up and find only dirt.

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    The hammer pull has that sandy feel more than trigger. If I pull hammer back past half cocked and than move it back and forth it is very noticeable. I hope to clean that up. The trigger is not to bad. Pulls a little harder than I would like. Don't what to do the poor man trigger thing and disconnect the spring. Now the good news is very little to no trigger creep and about 3/16th of an inch pull and bang. I'm guessing it shouldn't have much creep. I don't think I'll have to mess with the sear or angle at all. Know more when I take it down. Hopefully just a burr or a little polishing. As for shims maybe I'll let it ride as is. Thanks

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If you feel it in the hammer when cocking the hammer, that's good--means it's either dirt or some roughness on a part that's OK to file or stone down. Cool! Should have a real nice action when you're done.

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    Got it done tonight and thats what it was just roughness on hammer and a little on trigger. Put pins in half way on one side of the gun. Then put some tape on back to hold them in place. I put the trigger and hammer on pins and used it like a jig. That let me see what was going on. Cleaned gun totally lightly filed then polished and oiled. (Used my small hobby file set.) With the new springs in and work done all I can say is its like a different gun. :party29: Can't wait to take it to the range. Next the SKS trigger. :D

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    10 4 on the range report. I'm going to try and make the Howard Co show tomorrow an pick up some affordable ammo. I know right now 44 mag and special are pretty high.

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    I finally made it to the range yesterday. Took the 44 Ruger for a test run and what a difference. Out of the first six shots fired two where in the red on the 25 yard pistol target at about 20 yards. I have never hit the bulls eye with the gun at that distance. I did use 44 special 180 gr but I can tell it will work as well with 240 mag. I was even able to site it in better an shot a five an a half inch group. Over all the gun is smoother making it more manageable. :) Now if only my eyes where better.:D

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Congrats on getting in some range time with it....finally!! Nothing wrong with shooting specials in it, especially if it's not going hunting. Glad you're happy with it and "smoothing" it yourself certainly is satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom