• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    We have a very similar Mini and that model 10/22 in stock if you would like some hands on with them.

Thanks for the offer Nate. I went last weekend to give my wife some handling time with the 10/22 takedown and the 1 and only thing she said other then I have to have this rifle is that she wish she could get it in PINK CAMO and all I said was ooohhhh yeah that what I really want to carry around if I just want to go outback and play :lol2:.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Thanks for the offer Nate. I went last weekend to give my wife some handling time with the 10/22 takedown and the 1 and only thing she said other then I have to have this rifle is that she wish she could get it in PINK CAMO and all I said was ooohhhh yeah that what I really want to carry around if I just want to go outback and play :lol2:.

They're allocated, but they do make a pink camo stainless 10/22 takedown...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have heard that many times even before I ask my question here. That IF Ruger made the MINI accept AR clips everyone would want one then and Ruger would not be able to keep up with production! I wonder if they (Ruger) have thought of this themselves?

Originally, I think it was to KEEP people from having access to hihger cap mags that would work. In the 70s and into the 80s, Ruger would NOT sell anything but 5 round mags to the civilian market. You could occasionally find a real Ruger 20 rounder, at a high price, but your only real choice was aftermarket. It had to do with Bill Ruger and what HE thought was proper.

Now, they could change it, but then all the older Mini 14s would not be compatible with the newer ones.

And it allows Ruger to sell the higher cap mags and make more money. :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Are you planning to buy the Mini 14 from a dealer in Pennsylvania or Delaware? If you do buy out of state, you can get the 20 round magazines (not clips) that come with it. A Maryland dealer will have to replace them with 10 rounders, or provide no mags (not clips) at all. Of course Delaware has no sales tax, so I would start shopping the Delaware dealers.

Make sure your dealer understands enough Maryland law to realize that yes, he may legally sell you the Mini 14 with the 20 round magazines (not clips). Many out-of state dealers won't bother to learn the law.

When you buy extra 10 round magazines (not clips) for the 10/22, I recommend you get the transparent ones.With the standard opaque magazines (not clips), you cannot tell if the mag (not clip) is loaded with one round or ten.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Are you planning to buy the Mini 14 from a dealer in Pennsylvania or Delaware? If you do buy out of state, you can get the 20 round magazines (not clips) that come with it. A Maryland dealer will have to replace them with 10 rounders, or provide no mags (not clips) at all. Of course Delaware has no sales tax, so I would start shopping the Delaware dealers.

Make sure your dealer understands enough Maryland law to realize that yes, he may legally sell you the Mini 14 with the 20 round magazines (not clips). Many out-of state dealers won't bother to learn the law.

When you buy extra 10 round magazines (not clips) for the 10/22, I recommend you get the transparent ones.With the standard opaque magazines (not clips), you cannot tell if the mag (not clip) is loaded with one round or ten.

Yes I do plan on buying out of state. Myself and Dealer are aware of the Maryland laws too. My Wife is an Investigator for Law Enforcement too and makes me follow them as much as possible EVEN driving :sad20:. Sorry for calling them clips instead of mags. I am used to semi auto pistols and still a little new to the terminology. My plan is to buy 2-10 round mags AT the same time I purchase the rifle.

I appreciate all the input everyone is giving me. I also like that I am being corrected on my terminology too. That is how I am going learn being new at this.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I am thinking about a 10/22 as well. And I do have a Mini 30 and Colt AR.

Regarding the take-down model. What are the advantages/disadvantages compared to a 10/22 that is not a take-down model?

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I am thinking about a 10/22 as well. And I do have a Mini 30 and Colt AR.

Regarding the take-down model. What are the advantages/disadvantages compared to a 10/22 that is not a take-down model?

So far the only disadvantage of the 10/22 takedown that I have seen so far is there are no after market barrels for them yet. Other then that if needed in a moments notice it will not be ready unless stored assembled.

Biggest advantages are, it is easier to clean and store. All the aftermarket parts fit except for the lack of barrels.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Me, talk you out of a 10/22 or Mini 14? That isn't going to happen. I'd probably end up up-selling you.

I have the 10/22, Mini 30, and an AR or three. I like all of them.

However, the next rimfire I get will probably be a Volquartsen. They are based off of the 10/22.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1055-stainless-barreled-action

Probably going to go with a 22 WMR.

Attachments

• MdShooters78.jpg
      MdShooters78.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 156

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Bought a Mini 2 years ago at Duffy's and have been extremely happy with it. Also have a Sig 516.... Both are accurate and a blast to shoot (no pun intended). The Mini will only cycle brass cased ammo while the Sig will do well with either steel or brass.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Get the takedown with the threaded barrel, it worth the extra cost. Personally I'd rather have an AR than a mini, but if you're not feeling the AR, get the mini

Dang...I tried for almost a year to get one of those before I finally gave in and just bought the exact same thing except W/O the threaded barrel. How much did you end up spending, if you don't mind my asking. I got mine for ~$335 but haven't added a flash suppressor yet. I was hoping to find another front half/barrel like yours and have one stock/trigger with two different barrel/sighting setups in the same bag.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Best aftermarket part I put on my Mini'a were Hogue overmmolded stocks that I bought on Amazon for a very good price (I think less than $70). The stocks feel a lot better than the slippery wood stocks the guns come with. I also lucked out and bought couple dozen 20 round magazines from Ruger's online store before the cutoff. I have a few 30 round RUger mags, too. Never have found an aftermarket magazine that works as well as the Rugers, same for the 10/22 magazines. I have had no problem shooting the steel case ammo in the rifles. Love both the AR and the Mini's, best to have as many on hand as possible for when the SHTF. :)

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Makanik, my brother just texted me this morning that he wanted to sell his mini 14 and I told him how strange it was that I was thinking about getting one. Only problem is that he would have to practically give it to me :D and he is looking for a good goose gun.
    He is not too far from you in DE. Has 2 stocks (wood and composite), 2-30 round mags, true glo red dot, bi-pod, etc. I told him to give me all of the info and I would list it for him. I found this thread when I searching for info.

PM me if you want more info or pics.
    ETA: He said maybe 20 rounds through it. Mfr in 2006

Last edited:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Mini 14 has survived the ban lists in many states. It does not look as scary as an AR. (For the life of me, I cannot understand why people are scared of pistol grips)

I read somewhere Ruger is worried if the take AR mags then Minis could end up on the ban lists.

I tend to think demand would exceed production. Ruger would lose money by not selling mags, but they would make up for it in sales.

I wonder if someone could come up with a kit so you could switch to AR mags. I have a lot of mags for my Mini but I would buy a conversion kit in a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom