Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30? What do you guys think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Minis had a reputation for mediocre accuracy for years. The problem was traced to poor barrel harmonics. Once that was addressed in production the issue went away.
    Yep - The barrel harmonics on the early models (18X serial numbers) was horrible - thus, the "accu-strut" being used by many to correct for this and get better accuracy. Ruger re-tooled production in 2003, IIRC. The post re-tooling models (580+ serial numbers) don't benefit from the strut. I've found my later model to be just as accurate as my basic no-frills AR.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    There is something that is "just right" about the open top bolt on the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A and Mini 14/30. The nostalgia is a big attraction for me. I won't argue with anyone that there might be more accurate, reliable, efficient, adaptable or cheaper options.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    A US Special Forces ODA team sold me on the mini 14. But the day I turned 18 a co worker and part time FFL wanted me to buy a m16 showed me a mossberg 590 and I couldn’t resist. That was all the extra funds I had for a while.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    A US Special Forces ODA team sold me on the mini 14. But the day I turned 18 a co worker and part time FFL wanted me to buy a m16 showed me a mossberg 590 and I couldn’t resist. That was all the extra funds I had for a while.
    Hannibal, Face, B.A. and Murdock Approve :thumbsup:

Hannibal doesn't love it when a plan doesn't come together

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Still kicking myself for not picking up one of the police trade ins Lou45 had for $500 about 10 years ago.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If Ruger had designed the Mini-14 around the AR-15 magazine they might have enjoyed far greater market share. The proprietary magazine design increases the investment needed into owning one. Clone magazines have generally shown spotty reliability.

Like the AR series of rifles…the Mini is more reliable with the caliber it was designed around. The magazine well dimensions make it difficult to design a magazine for some calibers like the 7.62x39.

If Ruger had designed around stanag mags, the rifle wouldn't look right. The mag catch is in the wrong location (much too far down.)

The mini-30 has a redesigned magwell. You can NOT convert a 14 to a 30 w/ a bolt and barrel change. The receivers are different (which is not the case w/ an AR chambered in x39)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have owned three mini 14s. To me the AR 15 platform is better and offers better value. OTOH if you want a really interesting cool Ruger autoloading rifle take a look at the Ruger SFAR.

I actually handled one at Hannover Armory as well as a POF. The POF seems to be VERY well made. Both of these though are very different from a Mini. Could argue that the AR10-sh platform would have higher priority on the bucket list than the Mini. That's what has happened every time I looked at a Mini14 to date.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Somebody has to say it but Mini-14 threads make me miss Lou45

Also reminds me of fuching up by not buying one of the Mini-14s he was selling especially one of the Stainless GB
    I talked with Lou twice, at two different Gun Shows. I think he liked the Mini-14 but not so much the Mini-30. Or perhaps I am confusing him with someone else.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Minis had a reputation for mediocre accuracy for years. The problem was traced to poor barrel harmonics. Once that was addressed in production the issue went away.

Ruger re-tooled production in 2003, IIRC. The post re-tooling models (580+ serial numbers) don't benefit from the strut. I've found my later model to be just as accurate as my basic no-frills AR.
    :thumbsup:

For anyone shopping for a pre-owned one, here is how to distinguish between old and redesigned barrels:

mini14_sidebyside.jpg

And on the rifle, old:

20231216_100458.jpg

And new:

20231216_100532.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The one big flaw about the 30 was that it didn't always pop steel cased ammo. The big flaw with either in the early days was they'd lose accuracy over time. Partially due to people cleaning them after every range sesson. The wood stock would compress and decompress every time the rifle was disassembled for cleaning. They don't really need cleaning that often, and the action would eventually loosen up inside the stock. Moving them to a synthetic stock alleviated this issue, but then the rifle lost a lot of its charm.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The one big flaw about the 30 was that it didn't always pop steel cased ammo. The big flaw with either in the early days was they'd lose accuracy over time. Partially due to people cleaning them after every range sesson. The wood stock would compress and decompress every time the rifle was disassembled for cleaning. They don't really need cleaning that often, and the action would eventually loosen up inside the stock. Moving them to a synthetic stock alleviated this issue, but then the rifle lost a lot of its charm.
    Interesting. A stainless synthetic stock is attractive.

skeet 028

Apr 1, 2023
    Wy
    Have a mini 14.Nice looking rifle...except Stain less. What would be great is if we could get a mini 14_to shoot. I don't have a lot of money in mine but I have a Bushmaster Varminter that cost 800 bucks that makes the Mini look terrible...and mine will shoot under 2 inches which is generally very accurate for a Mini 14.The Bushy will do that at around 300 yatds. My daughter shot Pdogs here on the ranch with the Bushmaster. A waste of ammo with the Mini. I have a friend with a Mini 14 who had a good gunsmith do accuracy work on his Mini. Some days he can do an inch and a half. He has an M1A with minimal accuracy work that will do an I inch and a half any time. It ain't just trigger work to make a Mini shoot

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The bad news is that a Mini isn't an AR .

The good news is that a mini isn't an AR .

It's not modular , to quickly swap everything .

Some people like the handling qualities of traditional stocks, and having close spacing between line of sight , and bore center .

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The bad news is that a Mini isn't an AR .

The good news is that a mini isn't an AR .

It's not modular , to quickly swap everything .

Some people like the handling qualities of traditional stocks, and having close spacing between line of sight , and bore center .
    Like most folks on here, I have an AR for what it is. I have a Mini-14 for the same reason.

Mini4Scout.jpg

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    A Mini 14 is on my short list. I really like wood. I like my AR, but I like my traditional rifles more. My M1A is one of my favorites. The idea of having something similar in 5.56 is really appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom