Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30? What do you guys think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    OP, the Mini's use a gas piston so run cleaner than an AR if this is important to you.

I don't know what your inventory looks like but 7.62x39 is equivalent to the 30-30 so is an ethical deer round in a pinch and provides more thump than 223.

If you already have an investment in 7.62x39 to feed an AK-47 or SKS and wanted something more accurate, go for a Mini-30 for semi with pretty good accuracy, or for more accuracy a relatively inexpensive Ruger American bolt action in 7.62 that also accepts Mini-30 mags as a bonus and has a threaded barrel for a can. In other words, use the Mini to repel Zombies and the American to bag deer if you are limited in calibers for both purposes. If you are worried about the hard primer issue, use PMC in the Rugers that are brass instead of the cheap steel stuff designed for the AK and SKS stuff. You could also store a couple extra firing pins. Have fun.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    There are aftermarket firing pins (longer) that fix the x39 steel case primer issue.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    Thermold magazines have been nothing but reliable in my mini14. And only cost around 15 bucks. Same with an acquaintance that’s lucky enough to have a ac556…….thermolds feed great. I’ve been lucky with the 3 promags as far as feeding. But if they are loaded to 30, the bolt must be locked back or the magazine spring has no more give and the first round jams HARD into the bottom of the bolt preventing mag lockup, and creases the case. No issues with lockup with oem Rugers or the thermolds, on a closed bolt. Of course having several factory ruger in 20 and 30 is mandatory. I love my 14, but need a 30 as a stablemate to the AKs and SKS……..because’Murica! But damn minis are too damned expensive. For their price, you can get a nice FN15 or 2 PSA’s with ammo

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't know what your inventory looks like but 7.62x39 is equivalent to the 30-30 so is an ethical deer round in a pinch and provides more thump than 223.

On that theme , shooting & hunting partner #2's son used the Mini- 30 to take a deer a cpl weeks ago .

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Back in the day , Minis were half the cost of ARs . ARs have come down in real terms , Minis have kept pace with inflation .

That's my attitude. If this were 30-40 years ago, I'd say a Mini-14 was a good alternative to an AR for someone who wanted a semi-auto rifle in an easily available caliber, with the look and feel of a traditional wood stock rifle*.

In 2023, though, the AR has gotten both better and less expensive and has far more aftermarket support, while the Mini-14 is still basically the same gun that it was decades ago. And it has not gotten cheaper even with inflation.

* Provided they could stomach Bill Ruger's support for gun control.

Mini 14. But that’s only because I bought the last few OEM 20 rounders bass pro had on the shelf before 2013. Someday I’ll pick one up. Stainless with wood stock so I can sort of channel my inner A-Team.

You do know that the folding stock version of the Mini-14 (the one that the A-Team used) is banned by name in MD, right? Even if it wasn't banned by name, you wouldn't be able to own one with a folding stock and flash hider due to the features test of FSA 2013.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    That's my attitude. If this were 30-40 years ago, I'd say a Mini-14 was a good alternative to an AR for someone who wanted a semi-auto rifle in an easily available caliber, with the look and feel of a traditional wood stock rifle*.

In 2023, though, the AR has gotten both better and less expensive and has far more aftermarket support, while the Mini-14 is still basically the same gun that it was decades ago. And it has not gotten cheaper even with inflation.

* Provided they could stomach Bill Ruger's support for gun control.

You do know that the folding stock version of the Mini-14 (the one that the A-Team used) is banned by name in MD, right? Even if it wasn't banned by name, you wouldn't be able to own one with a folding stock and flash hider due to the features test of FSA 2013.

I do know that. That’s why I said “sort of”.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Still have all of mine...wasn't keen on AR's back then, have an early Mini SS, bunch of mags. They were cheaper than AR's...thought bout the Mini 30, but that was it ...

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom