• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6803.html

Anyone own one of these? I handled one yesterday at Angus Macgregors in Waldorf and was impressed. Seems like the perfect package. The rifle has a very very comfortable feel.

*.308 caliber

*16" barrel with 1/10 twist

*Detachable 10rd box mag (Accuracy Int. $83ea at Midway...ouch!)

*M1A sights or rail mounted "scout" optics

*birdcage style flash hider

*Reviews i've read say it does about 1.5MOA with Hornady Match

*length of pull is adjustable with stock inserts from 12.75 inches to 14.25 inches

*Looks sexy as a mofo :D

What are your thoughts?

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Scout rifle = solution in search of a problem.

If absolutely necessary, I can shoot my FN FAL as slow as you can shoot your scout rifle...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Scout rifle = solution in search of a problem.

If absolutely necessary, I can shoot my FN FAL as slow as you can shoot your scout rifle...
    The issue is weight. According to Cooper's definition, the loaded scout rifle, with scope, is supposed to be between 6.5-7.5 pounds. Even a FAL with a 16" barrel handily exceeds that limit, forget loading it or putting optics on it. Hell, the Ruger doesn't even make that weight envelope with a scope, which is why some people object to calling it a scout rifle.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    M77 are notorious for being difficult to print small groups (out of the box anyways) 1.5" groups with match grade ammo is nothing to write about IMHO
    I like some of Rugers stuff - but I dont really care for M77 actions.

I guess it really depends on what you are expecting out of the rifle, and your intended use.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    M77 are notorious for being difficult to print small groups (out of the box anyways) 1.5" groups with match grade ammo is nothing to write about IMHO
    I like some of Rugers stuff - but I dont really care for M77 actions.

I guess it really depends on what you are expecting out of the rifle, and your intended use.

With a 16" barrel it's atleast respectable. But for the price a bolt action would be nicer to hold closer to 1"

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...65-Firearms-Review-Ruger-Gunsite-Scout-Rifle/

They had consistant 1.25" patterns at 100yrds.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I like the feel of mine. The new poly short mags were a major innovation economically and functionally

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    With a 1 in 10 twist, one will need to shoot the heavier stuff like Federal GMM 175 Sierra BTHP's (not cheap, $1.00 or more per round) to achieve those groups as indicated in the article. NATO 147 grain stuff prolly won't cut it as a 1 in 12 twist is needed for the light stuff such as 147.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I don't think some posters aren't getting the concept of Scout Rifle being an all around, general purpose lightweight rifle perfect for SD and survival in most but not all situations. Cooper also toyed with a heavier caliber "Lion Scout" for big game hunting.

When Jeff Cooper got the notion and refined the standard, he thought a 4" 3-Shot Group at 200 yds was acceptable given the EER scopes of the day and the ghost ring sights on a carbine length rifle and the intended engagement range.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Huck, do you have any idea why Ruger elected to use a 1 in 10 twist over the 1 in 12 twist??? It would make more sense (at least to me) to utilize the 1 in 12 for a "scout carbine".

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I shot one not too long ago, kicked like a mule. Very nice rifle. If I didn't have a 700 I would have had one on my short list.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Huck, do you have any idea why Ruger elected to use a 1 in 10 twist over the 1 in 12 twist??? It would make more sense (at least to me) to utilize the 1 in 12 for a "scout carbine".

Economy of Scale. Every Ruger 308 Barrel is 1:10 including the 16.5" used for the Compact and Frontier, which was the forerunner of fh GSS.

1:10 can work for 150grn but I think Ruger expected most guys will use the rifle to hunt with 168 or 175. Of course, that flash suppressor could easily be replaced with a can and that 1:10 will be fine and dandy with 200-220grn subsonics. Kind of what you get with Steyr's Swiss Scout compared to the Tactical Scout they sell to us with a 1:12 std but I think the Tactical Elite has a HB with 1:10 for counter sniper work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom