• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    Bought the wife a Ruger LCR 38 special recently. Light gun and easy trigger to pull. She could not pull my Ruger Sp101 trigger. And has a hard time pulling the slide on semi autos. Unfortunately, with the LCR light frame, the recoil is just too much for her. She likes shooting my Browning Buckmark. So I figure I trade in the Ruger LCR 38 for the 22LR version ... For home defense, I figure 5 shots of 38Sp that she will miss anyways or 8 rounds of 22LR ... she would have better odds at hitting with 22LR. Lot of people say 22LR sucks for home defense, I figure better than nothing? Anybody have any comments to the Ruger LCR 22LR? I also tried REALLY lite loads like 90 grain hornandy pink 38 special low recoil. Still too much, and she not the type to go with me to the range every week.

I guess I'm really just asking your opinions/thoughts of the Ruger LCR 22LR for home defense for the wife? Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

David

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    1) Don't buy guns for her... (Yet)
    2) Take her to a range where you can rent several different types and calibers that she may be able to handle and find out for certain which ones fit her.
    3) Buy the one that works for her.

Have her practice with it several times at the range and make sure she knows how and when to use it if she finds herself in need of it.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    How about the LCR in .22 Mag.? A few ammo manufacturers are making rounds optimized for snubbies. Most of what I've read indicates terminal ballistics at or very close to standard .38 Spcl. loads.

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    Thanks. I checked the Ruger Website for the 22magnum lcr, did not know they carried it in that chambering. Does anyone know how much more recoil it would be vs 22lr? Would the wife notice the difference? From 22lr to 22 magnum? Huge jump in recoil or marginal? Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Also, over the years I brought her to the range and tried all different types (rented and friends) and calibers. Tried 380 semi autos too. I know it has to be a revolver for the wife.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Be sure you find out about trigger pull in the .22LR. Most .22LR recolvers have a very stiff trigger, compared to other calibers.

I would rather put full wadcutter loads in the .38, for reduced recoil. Or trade for a heavier .38.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Another option would be the PMR30. Decent trigger and 30 rounds of 22mag will ruin anyone's day.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    You might want to have her try a 22/45. Mine is a tack driver and my wife has no trouble pulling the bolt. With practice you can put 10 rounds on target in a few seconds.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Got an LCR 22lr and the trigger really sucks. Wolff doesn't make springs for it that I'm aware of. Anyone got a line on springs to lighten the trigger pull or a good smith that works on LCRs?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I agree that training is really the most important thing.

There are some 'women' only courses if that's more appealing to her. I can't attest to the quality of instruction in these exclusive classes; but if that's what it takes to get her some training. I also recommend doing some training at home, I have facilitated such sessions with men and women, but most often with couples together. I eventually use airsoft and we go through a few scenarios. It's an eye-opening experience, changes peoples perspective on using a fire arm for defense. It's much harder to shoot someone at a distance while they are moving than you think; and no one in their right mind would want anything less than a gun to defend themselves.

To answer your question, yes, in many situations I do recommend a .22LR and if that's what you/she will train with and have the right frame of mind, yes, it can be a formidable defensive firearm. But if you can handle it, a larger caliber is generally preferred.

Here's a thread I started on this topic, exactly:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177101

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Severe recoil sensitivity is more a training issue than a physical one in just about every case where a medical condition isn't involved. Have coached a lot of women, most are limited by the fear of the noise and perception of recoil, or a lack of confidence, not the physical aspect of it. Double up on hearing protection, use dry fire practice, coach their stance and grip, help build their confidence then watch. In just about every case they handle the recoil and recover just fine, even if it frightens them, and they claim it's too much. Most of the time tiny revolvers and autos are tough for ANYONE to shoot, especially a beginner, something that fits her, in a service caliber will go a long way in helping. You could also try a carbine, most are easier to work and shoot while being more powerful than most handguns, and can be a better home defense arm for any skill level.

My wife didn't shoot before she met me, claimed anything larger than a 22 was "too much", till a drunk was pounding on her folk's door at 2AM and she had to call police, next afternoon put 50rds through my M&P 9C just fine, and started joining me for sporting clays. After our boy was born, she wanted to go a step further to protect the family, confidence+motivation happened, she got a PA permit, and after a couple hours she was running handgun and long gun drills. A good instructor, and a women-only course is the best place to start, building confidence with a 22 can help, it's better than nothing, but not by much. Competency with a service caliber should be the goal, along with continuing training and practice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Severe recoil sensitivity is more a training issue than a physical one in just about every case where a medical condition isn't involved. Have coached a lot of women, most are limited by the fear of the noise and perception of recoil, or a lack of confidence, not the physical aspect of it. Double up on hearing protection, use dry fire practice, coach their stance and grip, help build their confidence then watch. In just about every case they handle the recoil and recover just fine, even if it frightens them, and they claim it's too much. Most of the time tiny revolvers and autos are tough for ANYONE to shoot, especially a beginner, something that fits her, in a service caliber will go a long way in helping. You could also try a carbine, most are easier to work and shoot while being more powerful than most handguns, and can be a better home defense arm for any skill level.

My wife didn't shoot before she met me, claimed anything larger than a 22 was "too much", till a drunk was pounding on her folk's door at 2AM and she had to call police, next afternoon put 50rds through my M&P 9C just fine, and started joining me for sporting clays. After our boy was born, she wanted to go a step further to protect the family, confidence+motivation happened, she got a PA permit, and after a couple hours she was running handgun and long gun drills. A good instructor, and a women-only course is the best place to start, building confidence with a 22 can help, it's better than nothing, but not by much. Competency with a service caliber should be the goal, along with continuing training and practice.

I totally agree with you. Looking hard to find something to comment; I'd like to add that you can gradually increase a new shooters recoil experience by moving from say .22LR, to .22WMR to .38SPL in a longer barrel, then full sized 9mm with non +p ammo. Then a slightly smaller .380 or 9mm. I also agree with doubling up hearing protection, and I like to have new shooters wear gloves (eye protection always).

This Rossi Circuit Judge is an excellent alternative for recoil sensitive folks; very powerful, versatile and low recoil. Light weigh gun too, only about 5 pounds. Great home defense gun with a light:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Try a S&W 637. Nice DA trigger or can go SA. It weighs a couple ounces more than the Ruger too, helps with recoil.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Bought the wife a Ruger LCR 38 special recently. Light gun and easy trigger to pull. She could not pull my Ruger Sp101 trigger. And has a hard time pulling the slide on semi autos. Unfortunately, with the LCR light frame, the recoil is just too much for her. She likes shooting my Browning Buckmark. So I figure I trade in the Ruger LCR 38 for the 22LR version ... For home defense, I figure 5 shots of 38Sp that she will miss anyways or 8 rounds of 22LR ... she would have better odds at hitting with 22LR. Lot of people say 22LR sucks for home defense, I figure better than nothing? Anybody have any comments to the Ruger LCR 22LR? I also tried REALLY lite loads like 90 grain hornandy pink 38 special low recoil. Still too much, and she not the type to go with me to the range every week.

I guess I'm really just asking your opinions/thoughts of the Ruger LCR 22LR for home defense for the wife? Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

David

I listened to a guy at a Cabela's talk to a small lady and her hubby about getting a handgun.

He showed her how to hold the slide between her thumb and index finger and push the gun down. It made it easier for her. He also recommended buying a heavier 9MM to reduce recoil. It'd work way better for home defense for a woman.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    if it is just for home defense why not a larger revolver? Or even a semi auto that is just always chambered so she doesn't have to worry about racking the slide?

The ruger GP100 is my friend's wife's HD gun when he is not there. It is a .357 magnum, but with .38 special it is like shooting a .22, and the trigger pull is so smooth and light as to be INCREDIBLE

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't understand why people buy light, compact carry guns for home defense.

Get a medium frame revolver with a 4" barrel in ..38/.357 and try it with .38 Special Mid Range Wadcutter loads. Have you tried those? Do not give up on the .38 until you do. It's like shooting .22 shorts. Then move up to some decent hollow points.

But I think Alucard is spot on. It's not the recoil, but her perception of it that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom