• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Is there anyone who owns both? If you google "Ruger LCP vs. S&W Bodyguard", you get tons of hits but no definitive outcome; people either swear by one or the other. I'm leaning toward the Ruger with CT laser because it's lighter, less "snaggy", slightly smaller, the laser is removable, and most of all, I like how the laser actuates.

I do like the Bodyguard's "second strike" capability and its last round lock-back, but don't like its safety.

Is there something about the Ruger I'm missing? (This is not a question about the .380 as a defensive round; I know it is a compromise. If I want to carry a compact pistol with more power, I have a Kahr in .45ACP. I want something for wallet-type carry in hot weather.)

109380_01_md.jpg

736676037131.jpg

[YT]FLwxTT5B7P4[/YT]

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I like the Ruger. I have not shot the S&W. I suggest you shoot both and see what you like the best. If you make it up to Western Maryland I will let you try my LCP and LC9. I do not have lasers on either one.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    S&W trigger wins hands down. They had an early issue with a laser set screw backing out causing malfunctions, but I believe that has been remedied.
    Smith has adj sights.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I have both, well my wife has the S/W and I have the LCP. I compared them both in a thread a couple of months ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

short answer -- I like the lcp because no sharp edges and no safety to deal with. No llaser on mine, its a deep conceal gun, no need to add bulk. To me a laser on these guns is worthless except for training with them.

there are the two threads in which I talked about the LCP -- vs -- S/W 380

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1563635&postcount=21

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1269560&postcount=50

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I own and carry the Bodyguard, but I've shot both. Here's my $.02:

Mode of Carry:

If you plan on pocket carry, the LCP wins. For holster, or belt slide, the BG wins. Having said that, I sometimes carry my BG with a DeSantis nemesis pocket holster, and I've never had any hang up issues with the sights, or anything else on the BG.

Sights:

LCP has none. BG's are accurate and adjustable.

Laser:

LCP wins hands down. I have the CT laser on my LC9, and it's outstanding. I can hardly ever get the BG's laser to come on. If the laser is important to you, it's a no-brainer.

Trigger:

I liked the BG's trigger much better. Both have understandable long pulls, but the BG is more predictable and a little smoother.

Safety:

The BG safety is really a non factor. It is hard enough, that you will never need to worry about it accidentally being engaged. I just leave it off. If you carry the BG with the safety engaged, it is really hard to disengage, and in a stress situation could cost you your life.

Misc:

If you carry a spare mag, then the BG is better. Since almost every other semi locks open after last round, and most people train with that, it is natural on reloads. The LCP would require a tap-n-rack to get into battery. That's not the way most people train. In stress situations, you will want to have the same mechanics you've trained with.

Bottom line:

Weigh what's more important to you and pick one. Both are nice guns.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Thanks, guys. Lots of good info.

This will definitely be for pocket carry; I have a small Kahr .45 and Crossbreed for holster carry (outstanding firearm, BTW.)

I do like the trigger on the bodyguard. I even like the way the body guard feels in my hand, but this will not be a range toy; it will be a "purpose" gun. It doesn't have to be super-comfortable to shoot- just easy to carry, deploy, get on target, and fire. The gun I shoot most doesn't lock back either (competition gun), so I'm used to that.

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have both, well my wife has the S/W and I have the LCP. I compared them both in a thread a couple of months ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

short answer -- I like the lcp because no sharp edges and no safety to deal with. No llaser on mine, its a deep conceal gun, no need to add bulk. To me a laser on these guns is worthless except for training with them.

there are the two threads in which I talked about the LCP -- vs -- S/W 380

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1563635&postcount=21

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1269560&postcount=50

Thanks for the repost. I did a cursory search before I posted and didn't see them.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    If you haven't already done so, I suggest handling/shooting them. I've shot the LCP to a fair extent, maybe 300-500 rounds. I have roughly average size hands and feel like I can't control it and would struggle to find a handle on it in a defensive situation. Obviously YMMV, but it's definitely a consideration in my opinion.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If you haven't already done so, I suggest handling/shooting them. I've shot the LCP to a fair extent, maybe 300-500 rounds. I have roughly average size hands and feel like I can't control it and would struggle to find a handle on it in a defensive situation. Obviously YMMV, but it's definitely a consideration in my opinion.

I've handled both, but didn't shoot them. I think the S&W felt better in the hand, but both felt shootable. It may just be the nature of shooting a tiny gun.

I've been told that adding the extension to the LCP makes it 100X more comfortable to shoot. ($9 for a package of 2)

41C7a5yAbFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I saw this and had to post it; it's a 15 round magazine for the LCP. That's hilarious. It even has a pinky finger extension on the bottom (WTF?)

2-MGPMRUG-A21.jpg

Last edited:

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    For what it's worth, I've held both and found the Bodyguard much easier to get a grip on, but haven't shot either. I ended up getting the Bodyguard's cousin, the Bodyguard 38 revolver.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    For what it's worth, I've held both and found the Bodyguard much easier to get a grip on, but haven't shot either. I ended up getting the Bodyguard's cousin, the Bodyguard 38 revolver.

I was looking at the S&W 340PD, but it's practically the size of my Kahr .45ACP. I wanted something more in the realm of a pocket pistol. I was really tempted by the Sig P238 or even a P938, but don't want cocked-and-locked for a pocket pistol.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I've been told that adding the extension to the LCP makes it 100X more comfortable to shoot. ($9 for a package of 2)

41C7a5yAbFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It may have been me that said that. The Ruger factory extension is nice, but the Pierce one makes it feel like an entirely different gun. I believe that I may have mentioned it in another LCP thread.

I carry my in hot summer months, out of state, in a DeSantis pocket holster, and it's practically not there. The trigger is long but smooth. I like it for what it's for, a gun to get you out of a bad situation.

I don't have the Smith, but you're welcomed to try out my LCP at OnTarget if you like. Let me know, and I'll bring it with me.

MH

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    having shot both of these guns, I would say they are both hard to control. I really don't notice any difference in that category between the two guns.

I probably have around 700 rounds out of my LCP and about 300 out of the bodyguard.

I hate the grip extensions as well since it hinders the purpose of deep concealment. Remember these are not range toys, they are designed to be shot at point blank to about 7 yards.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I don't have the Smith, but you're welcomed to try out my LCP at OnTarget if you like. Let me know, and I'll bring it with me.

MH

I, too, am an OnTarget member.

I'll make the same offer to let you both shoot my Bodyguard if you'd like.

Just PM me when.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I wish you would have added the SIG P238 to this comparison it would have made this a much better thread. If you start a new one, please add a poll asking which is your favorite and list all three. Heck you could add a couple other excellent .380's (Kahr P380 and Seecamp).

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCMPIFlSvBHWM

I have not fired the S&W Bodyguard, but I have it from opinion of someone I respect that it is a fine gun. I have however fired the LCP and the P238 enough to have some opinions.

Bottom line up front- the LCP is the clear winner, in my opinion of all three. It is the lightest, smoothest, most compact and has no external manual safety (a requirement for me in a CCW gun).
    fuqu4m.jpg

I like the looks, feel and overall ergonomics of the Bodyguard, but the location of their laser is iffy. I don't think a gun this size should have a laser to begin with, it's strictly for contact to derringer distance (a few feet). I can shoot a pie plate at 7 yards if afforded a second to actually aim the gun, but again I don't think that's the purpose of these pistols. They are designed for ultra concealment and last resort.

Probably the best of all would be the Kahr P380
    DSC06863.jpg

I've heard many folks (and experienced it myself) that women really like the P238, it has the look and (baby) feel of a 1911 which is awesome. One big issue with a lot of women is how hard it is to work the slide, especially locking it back. With the P238 this is a piece of cake. Another interesting thing about the P238 is that (unlike a real 1911) you can put the safety on and still work the slide. This feature lets you load the gun with the hammer cocked and locked to the rear. Likewise you can unload the gun with the safety on at all times. The location and ease of the the safety is superior to any sub-compact gun I've ever used. Having said that, I'll say again, external manual safeties are a huge no-no in my book. One more thing to have to train to do, get gummed up with lint in the places people put them (socks, crotch, pocket, bottom of a tiny purse). My worse nightmare is having to pull my firearm in a self-defense situation and pull the trigger having nothing happen.... oh, that damn worthless safety was on and now I'm dead! I think I've made my point.

Biggest problem with the LCP, no fun to shoot, recoil is excessive. I like shooting a mag or two through it most every time I go to the range, but it really smarts. A box of 50 and your hand would be numb for sure. I'm going to start wearing a glove when I shoot it.

Heck, the Rohrbach 9mm is about the same size as the LCP, but I'm sure even less fun to shoot.

2976072950010258782S600x600Q85.jpg

Bonus, this 22WMR is nothing to sneeze at in the micro catagory, but cocking it each time is for the birds! (pellet shot, literally 'for the birds') :)
    med_1193626121-NAAPug3.jpg

Last edited:

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I should mention that I put a heavier Wolff recoil spring in my LCP, and it made the recoil more managable, as well as contained the ejected brass a bit more.

MH

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    We sell probably 10:1 Bodyguard over LCP's locally, for whatever that's worth.

With that said, I like the LCP with Lasermax laser IF you want a laser due to the ease of which the LCP's laser turns on compares to the Bodyguard's. If a laser isn't a big priority, then I say go for the standard LCP.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Love my LCP...I've run about 1800 rounds through it with no problems at all. It will disappear in your pocket....

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Minuteman said:
    I wish you would have added the SIG P238 to this comparison it would have made this a much better thread. If you start a new one, please add a poll asking which is your favorite and list all three. Heck you could add a couple other excellent .380's (Kahr P380 and Seecamp).

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCMPIFlSvBHWM

I have not fired the S&W Bodyguard, but I have it from opinion of someone I respect that it is a fine gun. I have however fired the LCP and the P239 enough to have some opinions.

Bottom line up front- the LCP is the clear winner, in my opinion of all three. It is the lightest, smoothest, most compact and has no external manual safety (a requirement for me in a CCW gun).

I like the looks, feel and overall ergonomics of the Bodyguard, but the location of their laser is iffy. I don't think a gun this size should have a laser to begin with, it's strictly for contact to derringer distance (a few feet). I can shoot a pie plate at 7 yards if afforded a second to actually aim the gun, but again I don't think that's the purpose of these pistols. They are designed for ultra concealment and last resort.

Probably the best of all would be the Kahr P380

I've heard many folks (and experienced it myself) that women really like the P239, it has the look and (baby) feel of a 1911 which is awesome. One big issue with a lot of women is how hard it is to work the slide, especially locking it back. With the P239 this is a piece of cake. Another interesting thing about the P239 is that (unlike a real 1911) you can put the safety on and still work the slide. This feature lets you load the gun with the hammer cocked and locked to the rear. Likewise you can unload the gun with the safety on at all times. The location and ease of the the safety is superior to any sub-compact gun I've ever used. Having said that, I'll say again, external manual safeties are a huge no-no in my book. One more thing to have to train to do, get gummed up with lint in the places people put them (socks, crotch, pocket, bottom of a tiny purse). My worse nightmare is having to pull my firearm in a self-defense situation and pull the trigger having nothing happen.... oh, that damn worthless safety was on and now I'm dead! I think I've made my point.

Biggest problem with the LCP, no fun to shoot, recoil is excessive. I like shooting a mag or two through it most every time I go to the range, but it really smarts. A box of 50 and your hand would be numb for sure. I'm going to start wearing a glove when I shoot it.

Heck, the Rohrbach 9mm is about the same size as the LCP, but I'm sure even less fun to shoot.

Bonus, this 22WMR is nothing to sneeze at in the micro catagory, but cocking it each time is for the birds! (pellet shot, literally 'for the birds') :)

I didn't include the p238 because it's cocked & locked- a no-go for a pocket, at least for me.

I didn't realize the Kahr was that small. I love my Kahr .45ACP.

I agree about the safety and the laser; I'm leaning toward the LCP.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I didn't include the p238 because it's cocked & locked- a no-go for a pocket, at least for me.

I didn't realize the Kahr was that small. I love my Kahr .45ACP.

I agree about the safety and the laser; I'm leaning toward the LCP.

Agreed, the cocked and locked is kinda ridiculious for such a tiny pistol and defeats its purpose. It can collect to much debris and can be less comfortable to wrap your body around. But the p238 cool factor is off the chart, a 1911 that small is awesome. Look for Sig to issue its big brother (9mm) to the p238 very soon, that will be the one to get, even with the external manual safety (but not first recommendation for actual ccw carry).

The Kahr really is that small and that much better; unfortunately it's much more expensive than the competitors.

I read that the .45ACP is a brute to shoot; no?

For any deep CCW a manual external safety is an invitation to complexity and death. <--period.

It happened again just tonight; while training I threw in some reps with a p238 for fun. Sure enough I was unable to charge the weapon without pressing down on the safety (mag out), and more than once I forgot to immediately push the safety down to fire the tiny pistol. Either of these could cost you your life in a real situation. Keep it simple, that's my motto. :-)

Lasers are good for training and shooting in awkward situations at some distance (5-15 yards); these tiny pocket pistols are not designed for that kind of work. Forget about lasers in this class of pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom