• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I have the LCP II .380 and since it was new it will randomly jam up on the the 3rd or forth round. It seems like the extractor is losing it's grip on the spent case. I have to drop the mag and clear it.
    Any thoughts on a fix for that other than sending it back to Ruger?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have owned and carried (for years) a Kel Tec P32, P3AT, Ruger LCP, LCP II and now LCP Max. Rarely have I ever heard them to be called inaccurate. In fact, I used the LCP in IDPA back up matches and other shooters were amazed at how accurate it is.

The trick to making them run is doing a fluff and buff (plenty of videos) and mags can use a good clean and lube. Some after market parts do make the triggers better. One thing that should not be change is the recoil spring guide rod. The seat in the frame will get beat up when you put a "stronger" guide rod or change the polymer one to steel.

As for dropping mags, these guns are small and don't fit everyone's hands. The .380's are also flippy. This combination causes mag releases. If I recall correctly, I have repaired this issue with a thicker piece of piano wire which can be bought on ebay.
    So the MCARBO stainless steel guide rod is a bad idea. What about the MCARBO replacement take down pin? Or do you think the Ruger original take down pins are fine as is. If you read MCARBO's write up (well - video) they lead you to believe that the take down pin will walk out over time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have the LCP II .380 and since it was new it will randomly jam up on the the 3rd or forth round. It seems like the extractor is losing it's grip on the spent case. I have to drop the mag and clear it.
    Some people just don't want to accept that some pistols they own(because they might have researched until their face is blue), could be just crap.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have not had that problem and if it were me I would send it back to Ruger.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    With ya Blaster.

Besides, if it isnt 100% reliable, go to another gun....a life may depend on it.

Seems kinda simple to me...

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    One thing that should not be change is the recoil spring guide rod. The seat in the frame will get beat up when you put a "stronger" guide rod or change the polymer one to steel.
    On my LCP II, the original guide rod is steel. It sticks to a magnet. Even so - gotta wonder why MCARBO thinks it needs to be replaced, other than they just want your money.

IMG_2875.JPG

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I should clarify my earlier comment. I don't shoot my Max especially well. I even sent mine back to Ruger for testing, and they sent me a target that confirmed that I'm the problem. That much is granted.

I'm hardly an accomplished shot, but I'm noticeably worse with the Max than I am with any other handgun I've shot (Beretta 92 a possible exception, but I have maybe three mags through one). I'm confident enough to carry it, especially when concealability is the primary concern, but I'd be a lot happier about it if I shot it better.

Sounds like I need training, eh?

Tiny , " flippy " guns are inherently more difficult to shoot well . ( Insert large sample of observing same people shooting small frame snub .38 vs 4 inch medium frame .)

Sometimes there is simply a misfit between tiny guns and large hand . (Ike my .32 Gaurdian in my XXL hands .)

An LCP just might not be the right gun for you . It happens, no shame in it .

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Some people just don't want to accept that some pistols they own(because they might have researched until their face is blue), could be just crap.
    I don't think I would go so far as to say the LCP II is "just crap". I think the question is does it meet the standards for a CCW. You could make the argument that you need to spend more money on a CCW pistol in order to be more confident. IDK. S&W makes a pretty decent mouse gun (M&P Bodyguard) and it's not terribly expensive.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't think I would go so far as to say the LCP II is "just crap". I think the question is does it meet the standards for a CCW. You could make the argument that you need to spend more money on a CCW pistol in order to be more confident. IDK. S&W makes a pretty decent mouse gun (M&P Bodyguard) and it's not terribly expensive.
    I always poo poo on mouse guns and people who think they are worthy as a viable self defense carry pistol.
    "Something is better than nothing" doesn't equate to "carry gun", albeit it's a gun you can carry.
    Let someone take their mouse gun in one of the most basic self defense pistol courses and the mouse gun shooter will not perform up to par with students using normal carry pistols.

As long as the person carrying one knows exactly what lane those pistols are in.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Well this thread wasn't about "What is the best carry gun"
    The OP asked about reliability issues with the LCP 380 and I shared my experience with the one I own. I paid a total of $280 with shipping and Bud's lifetime warranty, I just never sent it back because it wasn't worth my time.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I have an LCP Max. I don't love it. It's not accurate. To the extent that I'd hate to have to defend my life in any respect, I'd especially hate to have to defend it with that particular piece. But I imagine it beats the hell out of a sharp stick.

That said, its concealability is outstanding. Simply no one looks at you twice while carrying such a pistol.
    I have over 500 rounds through my LCP MAX without any issue all within a 4” shooting target at 21’

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well this thread wasn't about "What is the best carry gun"
    The OP asked about reliability issues with the LCP 380 and I shared my experience with the one I own. I paid a total of $280 with shipping and Bud's lifetime warranty, I just never sent it back because it wasn't worth my time.
    All threads with pistols end up about being a carry gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom