• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm thinking about getting a sub-compact 9MM before the new rules come into play on 10/1.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger LC9. Anyone have any experience with it? I've read some positive reviews. One of the only concerns I have is if I'll have problems operating it since I'm left handed. I had a Sig P238 and had issues with my trigger finger would occasionally push the slide lock up.

Thanks.

plasty

Jan 8, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Ultra thin. Small. Light weight. Snappy. Double action. Hammer. Long trigger pull but can do trigger mod to improve it. Shoots well.

Overall I like it, but don't love it.

Compare it to an XDs 9 mm and an M&P Shield to see what fits you best.

chucks

Sep 30, 2010
    I like mine. I've put about 200 rds through it with no problems. I carry it legally when out of state.

plasty

Jan 8, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Did you consider the SR9c? It has really good reviews and is supposed to be good for right or left handed people.

Good point. Other double stack 9 mm compact for carry may be M&P 9c. Compared to the LCP (single stack), they are wider but may be fine. The M&P is made with and without a safety. The LCP safety is quite firm and likely wont be an issue for a left hand shooter. It is somewhat snappy, so it may bang around your fingers a bit. Try shooting one at a range if possible.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    The LC9 is (to me) quite a bit thinner than the SR9c. I have a 9c.....like it a lot but would definitely not consider it a sub-compact. Have you considered something from KAHR?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Your more than welcome to meet me at a range someday and try playing wi my LCP, that way you make the right decision and get a G26 or Shield.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Your more than welcome to meet me at a range someday and try playing wi my LCP, that way you make the right decision and get a G26 or Shield.

I already have a Glock 26, but wanted something thinner. The Glock is 1.1" and the Ruger .88". It seemed significant, but when I pulled out a digital caliper and checked out exactly what .13" was, I realized it's not worth the hassle. It might be that the grip on the LC9 is slimmer since it's a single stack magazine vs. Glock's double stack.

I may look into an LCP since it's a true pocket pistol. I just worry that I'll have the same problem with the LCP that I had with the Sig P238 with my trigger finger locking the slide if it rides too high.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I wanted something thinner than my G 26, double stack. I started carrying my Kahr P9 instead, single stack. Big difference. I played with numerous LC9s at various dealers. They all seemed to have a pronounced hesitation at the end of the trigger pull.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For pocket carry the LCP is trash, unless your wearing a condor jacket with the pockets inside the front breast pockets. Otherwise the top heaviness of the gun flips it in your pocket, making it harder to draw properly.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I like the LC9. My dad is giving me his, and I have shot it a few times. Like the gun, even with my large-ish hands and the factory laser is a nice extra I would not have sprung for myself.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I am a lefty as well. I was doing a search for threads for a left handed pistol and came across your post. The only advice I can give you is that I was checking out a FNS-9 today and their handguns are ambidextrous. They do have another pistol in 5.7x28, but neither are what i would call subcompact.

Not to take this off-topic, but if anyone can point to another thread on LH pistols, it would be helpful.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I went with the P-11, a little bigger (holds more rounds as well) but is a good compromise between fitting my big hands and concealment. Using an in-the-pocket holster keeps it where I want it.

Be aware that these lil' pistols can bite you as they provide very little for you to grip and stabilize the recoil. You may want to shoot 20 rounds through one before you buy one. They do push the limits of controllability if you have large mitts.

Last edited:

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    LC9 with CT laser and a SuperTuck Deluxe = a excellent combination when not in MD.
    As was said the trigger pull is a little long but it's easy enough to master with a little practice. Even with my big paws it feels good in my hand spicily with the grip extension. ! Just recently got to try out a M&P Shield and must say I was impressed. I may try and pick one up as a 2nd CC option, but there is No way I'm giving up my LC9.

chucks

Sep 30, 2010
    The LCP works great with a pocket holster like the DeSantis Super Fly. It doesn't print and doesn't move around in my pocket. The gun comes right out of the holster leaving the holster in place. I wouldn't carry any gun in my pocket without some sort of a holster. I don't consider it a safe way to carry.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    I just got one of these for my girlfriend and we shot it at the range the day she registered it. The only thing I would change is the color (it's raspberry lol) and the idea of a grip extension would be good.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    My old man has the LC9 with the Gallow ways trigger job,It shoots really nice. I think I would go with the shield if i was buying single stack 9mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom