• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    I loaded up on 4 x BX25's from the Clip guys at the Nation's Gun Show last year. Not one failure. Not one.

p.s. My two Butler Creek's have also not failed me, and while I'm a fan of the ability to snap two-mags together, I just don't like see-thru.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    I have purchased three of these mags but I have yet to try them out, hopefully soon.

Update on the BX-25s in my guns two out of three work great in it and the other the bolt hits and will not come forward.

Zane, have you tried disassembling these? Relatively simple to do, maybe you can spot the issue by comparing them. That's where I would start anyway.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Does the BX-25 work with the Butler Creek loader? Anyone know? Thanks.

The instructions recommend to not use a loader!!! Says it may cause failuers. The one I have works great hand loaded but never tried with an auto type loader.

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    The instructions recommend to not use a loader!!! Says it may cause failuers. The one I have works great hand loaded but never tried with an auto type loader.

The instructions doesn't really recommend against using loaders, just cautions that some can damage the cartridges. I recently got two magazines while out of the state and tested them today. No malfunctions. :)

Since they are sitting in from of me, here is what the instructions say:

Ruger BX-25 Instructions said:
    Please also be aware that some .22 LR magazine loaders are prone to damage cartridges. If you experience stoppages while using magazines that were loaded using a magazine loader, please try loading the magazines by hand and determine if the reliability improves.

I don't have a loader, but I've used a friends before. The critical issue is not to force anything. If it doesn't want to crank, pushing it can dent the cartridges, damage the bullet, or mess up the seating of the bullet in the case. Usually you can correct the issue by jiggling or moving the cartridges, and without forcing anything.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Does the BX-25 work with the Butler Creek loader? Anyone know? Thanks.

I've used it with the loader. Seems to work fine as long as you don't 'crank down hard' on the knob. If you do, it dents the case and that's where your problems start. Same thing happens with the BC Steel Lips, but it seems a little more forgiving.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I was able to use both BX-25 round mags yesterday at the range. Other than being a tad long for my rest bag, they worked perfectly.

I was using Federal bulk ammo.

I ran the gun first with the OEM 10 round mag. Flawless.

Then ran one of the 25 rounders. The first 2 rounds fired. The next round didn't chamber. So I pulled the mag and ran the 2nd 25 rounder. I put the first one back in to try and figure out why it wasn't loading the round into the chamber. I found one of the rounds had the nose of the bullet was damaged. Looks like it was pinched and a piece was hanging off. So I pulled that round. The next round didn't chamber either. So I pulled that one as well. Same type of damage to the nose. The rest of the mag fired fine.

I reloaded both mags 2 more times each and ran through both without any problems.

So my 2 FTF's were ammo related, not mag related.

The 2 rounds fired ok out of my SR22 mags without any issues.

monstarr

Feb 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know of an online or local vendor that sells these in kit form? I don't want to drive to far to get a few of these mags but i'd like to pick up a few.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Does anyone know of an online or local vendor that sells these in kit form? I don't want to drive to far to get a few of these mags but i'd like to pick up a few.

I doubt anyone is going to sell you a "kit". I did like everyone else and took a nice drive. The kit thing is way too sketchy for me, I wouldn't want any part in it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

This weekend. Chantilly and Gettysburg. You know you want to go. :)

monstarr

Feb 9, 2012
    Baltimore
    Well I do kind of want to go find a 91/30 to go with the beautiful 91/59 I picked up. But driving my f250 super duty to va isn't my idea of a fun time. Lol

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Well I do kind of want to go find a 91/30 to go with the beautiful 91/59 I picked up. But driving my f250 super duty to va isn't my idea of a fun time. Lol

Got a buddy with a compact or subcompact car that wants to go? Pay for his admission into the show and maybe his lunch.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    The BX-25s are sweet. I bought eight and haven't had a single problem.

I wouldn't recommend using a loader. Nor buying a "kit" or trying to skirt MD's mag capacity laws (20+ round mags cannot be shipped to, bought in, or transferred in the state). Just have them shipped to a buddy in PA, DE, or VA and go pick them up from his house. 100% legal.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    The Ruger magazines usually work great. Sometimes you have feed issues (smiling little "fish-mouth" bullets, sticking bolt, stovepipes, etc.). Because the 10/22 has a fairly loose fit between the bolt and the receiver housing, this little bit of slop can create feed issues. I discovered a cool little fix that works like a charm. If your magazines have a line scored across the large flat area on the left-side the feed lip, check out the attached pic. :sign11:

Attachments

• Ruger1022MagMod2012SM.jpg
      Ruger1022MagMod2012SM.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads