• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A few months ago, DA sold me on my need to build an AR in 300 BLK. So I’ve been acquiring parts for the new build as well as accumulating 300 BLK ammo. As you all know, a new ammo caliber can often be a huge potential energy barrier when shopping for firearms.

So when there was a sale for the Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK with 16-inch CHF threaded barrel in FDE, it was easy to convince myself why I needed one to complement the future AR.

6968.jpg

Like the AR, this would be a lightweight and quick-pointing carbine length rifle with 30-30 power capable of mounting an optic. In addition, it would have the reduced complexity and commensurate increased reliability of a bolt-action rifle. I got model 6968, with the 13.75-inch length of pull. The total price of the rifle and major accessories (not including a sling, mounts, or rifle case) wasn’t bad.

Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK model 6968 ($360)

Troy Claymore Muzzle Brake 7.62 (currently $56 via Walmart)
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/13...e-762mm-ar-10-dpms-lr-308-5-8-24-thread-matte (lots of positive reviews at the Midway link)

Extra 5-round mags, $29/each from Grabagun (http://grabagun.com/ruger-90440-amer-extra-mag.html ) which is better than buying from Ruger at $40/each. Still would be nicer if these were less. They load a bit slow. One needs to angle the round and then flatten it out.

Nikon 3-9x40 BDC Active Target ($110 Cabela’s clear out special)

I wanted a smaller optic for field use, the Nikon, esp for the price, seemed like a good option.

I took it to the Frederick IWLA range on Sunday, and found the platform to be a fun little gun. Although there had been reports of magazine feed issues, all three of mine worked flawless. The range report follows.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpg
      IMG_4273.jpg
      99.5 KB · Views: 8,390
    • IMG_4284.jpg
      IMG_4284.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 5,247

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I tested 5 different types of commercially available 300 BLK rounds. There’s already a wide band of capabilities one can find with 300 BLK. I am not shooting it suppressed as yet, so didn’t consider this when picking up ammo (although I did get some subsonics). My focus is on deer capable ammo in MD, with sufficient muzzle energy and 100-200 yard performance. The ballistic coefficients for the bullets used in 300 BLK (7.62x35) loadings enable it to outperform 5.56 and 7.62x39 at distance.

The ammo that I’ve accumulated more of is the …

Fiocchi Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout 150gr FMJ

It’s typically available for $35 or less for a box of 50. I got it from PSA for $30/box when they had a free shipping special.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...300-aac-blackout-150gr-fmj-50rds-300blkc.html

I used this ammo to zero the rifle.

I also picked up the popular and expensive …

Barnes VOR-TX 300 AAC Blackout Ammunition
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barnes-VOR-TX-AAC-Blackout-Ammunition/1440094.uts

Two Underwood loadings for 300 BLK (which were characteristically potent) …

300 AAC Blackout 110 Grain Hornady V-Max
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/300-aac-blackout-110-grain-hornady-v-max-box-of-20/

300 AAC Blackout 125 Grain Ballistic Tip
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/300-aac-blackout-125-grain-ballistic-tip-box-of-20/

and finally, subsonics from a smaller ammunition maker.

FTW 300 AAC Blackout 220gr Subsonic Sierra SMK HPBT
    http://ftwammo.com/index.php?crn=220&rn=428&action=show_detail

Leftover brass is for DA. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4276.jpg
      IMG_4276.jpg
      137 KB · Views: 5,334
    • IMG_4285.jpg
      IMG_4285.jpg
      141.8 KB · Views: 5,348

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I had more time with the different ammo when at 50 yards. The 50-yard target was shot at in landscape mode. The bullets are pointing to the point of aim (remember that this rifle was zeroed with the Fiocchi ammo). After I realized how much the subsonics were dropping at 50 yards (the nice group about 5 inches below point of aim), I moved my point of aim for one of the Underwood loadings. As you can see, the Underwood rounds with 110-grain V-Max bullets gave a really tight group (cluster of 5 rounds in what looks like 3 holes about 2 inches below the center bullseye).

Attachments

• IMG_4298.jpg
      IMG_4298.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 5,242

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    These shots at 100 yards were taken more quickly as I was being hastened by the wife to come home and take the kids out for supper. The target was in portrait mode this time.

My selected point of aim (which was above the target) for the subsonics resulted in most rounds missing paper below the target. There were a couple of hits at the bottom left hidden under the Underwood box. Will love to revisit these with the proper bullet drop figured out to see how they group at 100 yards.

The noted POA for the Barnes Vor-TX in the pic is incorrect. The bullet rolled. The POA was the upper right red bullseye.

Although rushed, both Underwood loadings looked pretty good with under 2-inch groups at 100 yards. Also the Foicchi, for plinking/practice ammo, isn’t bad and gave me a slightly tighter group when originally zeroing with it.

One thing that should tighten up my groups is learning the break on the Ruger trigger. It’s not a bad or even a heavy trigger, but I misanticipated the break more than a few times.

I’m not sure that I would consider this a precision bolt-gun more than a utilitarian one, and given the price point, diminished recoil relative to 308, and growing ammo market (although many reload this round), I think that it might be a nice deer gun option for younger or smaller frame shooters. At the same time, I'm a newer, mostly self taught shooter, so in the hands of someone with training/experience, perhaps greater precision can be wrung out of this platform.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the rifle and am looking forward to more range time with it. It also provides new motivation to get the AR in 300 BLK beyond the drawing board, so I’ve begun ordering the last bits needed. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpg
      IMG_4302.jpg
      114 KB · Views: 5,162

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Great review. As far as I have seen 300BLK isn't known for "precision" shooting anyway. Although, you didn't do bad for your first time out with the rifle at all. Love that claymore On there as well. The ruger American will treat you well for as long as you own it. My 30-06 has never had one issue and I've had it for the better part of 2 years.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks PJ. I have a Remington 700 in 308 with which it is easy to get touching groups at 100 yards. The Ruger trigger had a weird break for me. Sometimes it would stack a bit before breaking, sometimes the stack was imperceptible and there was just a clean break. I believe it's currently at the factory 5.5 lbs, but is adjustable, so I'm going to decrease the trigger break to see how it feels. I do like the overall ergos of the rifle as well as the reduced weight relative to my Remington 700. Apples and oranges of course.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A few months ago, DA sold me on my need to build an AR in 300 BLK. So I’ve been acquiring parts for the new build as well as accumulating 300 BLK ammo. As you all know, a new ammo caliber can often be a huge potential energy barrier when shopping for firearms.

So when there was a sale for the Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK with 16-inch CHF threaded barrel in FDE, it was easy to convince myself why I needed one to complement the future AR.

6968.jpg

Like the AR, this would be a lightweight and quick-pointing carbine length rifle with 30-30 power capable of mounting an optic. In addition, it would have the reduced complexity and commensurate increased reliability of a bolt-action rifle. I got model 6968, with the 13.75-inch length of pull. The total price of the rifle and major accessories (not including a sling, mounts, or rifle case) wasn’t bad.

Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK model 6968 ($360)

Troy Claymore Muzzle Brake 7.62 (currently $56 via Walmart)
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/13...e-762mm-ar-10-dpms-lr-308-5-8-24-thread-matte (lots of positive reviews at the Midway link)

Extra 5-round mags, $29/each from Grabagun (http://grabagun.com/ruger-90440-amer-extra-mag.html ) which is better than buying from Ruger at $40/each. Still would be nicer if these were less. They load a bit slow. One needs to angle the round and then flatten it out.

Nikon 3-9x40 BDC Active Target ($110 Cabela’s clear out special)

I wanted a smaller optic for field use, the Nikon, esp for the price, seemed like a good option.

I took it to the Frederick IWLA range on Sunday, and found the platform to be a fun little gun. Although there had been reports of magazine feed issues, all three of mine worked flawless. The range report follows.

Apparently I am a bad influence and you are saying that like it is a bad thing. :sad20:

Don't blame me for this, I just shared the Black Friday links with you for the AAC barrel and the engraved upper. Not to mention letting you shoot my completed build, with that G2S trigger... Although I'm sure some of my eccentricity is rubbing off on you, when it comes to crazy calibers and builds.

You know what? Maybe I am a bad influence. +1 point for you. :lol2:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A few months ago, DA sold me on my need to build an AR in 300 BLK. ...

Nothing negative in this comment, bro. I was saying it straight. Also, it's the lead in for another fun purchase that wouldn't have happened if I had not expanded my horizons. :)

Leftover brass is for DA. ;)

... It also provides new motivation to get the AR in 300 BLK beyond the drawing board, so I’ve begun ordering the last bits needed. :D

And note the emoticons ... all positive guy. No worries. :thumbsup:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Nice review. Thanks for your time. Looking at the ruger American predator in .308 or Savage model 11 scout. When becomes available..its a bit pricer.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guy. I set up alerts via Slickguns for newly released items that I want at the price that I will pay. Almost always have gotten the item.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    j8064 got me itching to go to shoot the Ruger American 300 BLK again this week. I had planned to take today off (to do house chores) but snuck off to the range in the afternoon. :outta her :bannana: :gun1:

I also wanted to test my AR 300 BLK build (using components that DA alerted me of when he was doing a similar build) with different 300 BLK rounds. The first time that I took it out, the primer caps from a Fiocchi commercial loading kept blowing out and eventually jammed the bolt. After a bit of internet research, it appears to be a common problem with some Fiocchi 300 BLK batches in semi-automatic rifles.

This time I only ran the Fiocchi through the Ruger American bolt action rifle (in which it didn't have problems in the past). The Ruger American worked flawlessly again today. No feeding or extraction issues, and just a pleasure to shoot.

The AR was perhaps even more fun even if there were a couple hiccups. I rode the bolt on one loading with a sub and it didn't chamber properly and jammed in at an angle. I got it out, and shot it as the final of 5 shots (and of course it expanded the group). Notably, the subs cycled the action fine in the AR and the bolt held open after completing the mag.

I also had a failure to extract of one of the Underwood 110 gr V-Max rounds. These were really slamming the bolt back - and might have created gas issues for the rifle. Otherwise these rounds gave the tightest grouping at 100 yards for the AR (as they did for the Ruger American on the last outing).

All shooting was from the bench with a bag, and ammo was tested in 5 shot groups. The AR was zero'ed at 50 yards with Barnes VOR-TX ammo. I didn't bother zero'ing the AR again at 100 yards because I was low on ammo. Only the 100 yard pic is below. Small squares are 0.5 inches on the side.

I used Lancer mags that have been internally de-ribbed to help with feeding of 300 BLK rounds. The red circled areas in the pic above the mags shows where they're filed down.

Attachments

• DSC_0040.jpg
      DSC_0040.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 3,312
    • DSC_0039.jpg
      DSC_0039.jpg
      96.5 KB · Views: 3,443
    • DSC_0041 - Version 2.jpg
      DSC_0041 - Version 2.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 3,473
    • DSC_0045.jpg
      DSC_0045.jpg
      94.5 KB · Views: 3,208

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Dayum, fidelity! You're an Enabler!!!

...Here it was only yesterday I brought home my Ruger. As much as I want to, it doesn't look like I can get to the range till the weekend...

And you go and post THIS?? WITH PICS???? :banghead:

You are not only an Enabler...You are a TEASER!!... :rofl:

Great info and nice shooting! :thumbsup: My weekend can't get here soon enough!!!

:party29:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ha, you inspired me to get in gear with your new thread! The alternative was painting a fence today (not a tough choice!). I was seriously frustrated the previous time out because I was testing the 300 BLK AR for the first time, and crappy ammo got in the way. So I needed to get it out of my system. :D

I actually have 300 BLK on order from 3 different places, but didn't want to wait. An empty range was another bonus. :party29:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Ha, you inspired me to get in gear with your new thread! The alternative was painting a fence today (not a tough choice!). I was seriously frustrated the previous time out because I was testing the 300 BLK AR for the first time, and crappy ammo got in the way. So I needed to get it out of my system. :D

I actually have 300 BLK on order from 3 different places, but didn't want to wait. An empty range was another bonus. :party29:

Well then. Painting a fence always takes back seat to range time IMHO...:thumbsup: And by the pic below you can see how wide open the Savage range is about 0600... :innocent0

I have a lot of 300 BLK cases sized, cleaned and ready to load on my bench. Looks like I'll need to load a variety of test rounds just to "keep up with the fidelity"...:D

BTW... That open invitation to a Hooligan shoot is - well - open... ;)

Attachments

• DSC04134.jpg
      DSC04134.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 3,134

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

BTW... That open invitation to a Hooligan shoot is - well - open... ;)

I can see the attraction to shoot at the Savage range.

I will join you guys. Might be in winter sometime (my weekends off with the wife's work schedule and my reciprocal need to take care of a 3-yr old are rare ... usually have 2-3 hrs to go to the nearby range and get back when I have the time). But what's great about MDS, is before then, I get to keep track of the Hooligan happenings here. Not as fun as the real thing, but many of us dig these updates with pics and video. :thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    j8064 got me itching to go to shoot the Ruger American 300 BLK again this week. I had planned to take today off (to do house chores) but snuck off to the range in the afternoon. :outta her :bannana: :gun1:

I also wanted to test my AR 300 BLK build (using components that DA alerted me of when he was doing a similar build) with different 300 BLK rounds. The first time that I took it out, the primer caps from a Fiocchi commercial loading kept blowing out and eventually jammed the bolt. After a bit of internet research, it appears to be a common problem with some Fiocchi 300 BLK batches in semi-automatic rifles.

This time I only ran the Fiocchi through the Ruger American bolt action rifle (in which it didn't have problems in the past). The Ruger American worked flawlessly again today. No feeding or extraction issues, and just a pleasure to shoot.

The AR was perhaps even more fun even if there were a couple hiccups. I rode the bolt on one loading with a sub and it didn't chamber properly and jammed in at an angle. I got it out, and shot it as the final of 5 shots (and of course it expanded the group). Notably, the subs cycled the action fine in the AR and the bolt held open after completing the mag.

I also had a failure to extract of one of the Underwood 110 gr V-Max rounds. These were really slamming the bolt back - and might have created gas issues for the rifle. Otherwise these rounds gave the tightest grouping at 100 yards for the AR (as they did for the Ruger American on the last outing).

All shooting was from the bench with a bag, and ammo was tested in 5 shot groups. The AR was zero'ed at 50 yards with Barnes VOR-TX ammo. I didn't bother zero'ing the AR again at 100 yards because I was low on ammo. Only the 100 yard pic is below. Small squares are 0.5 inches on the side.

I used Lancer mags that have been internally de-ribbed to help with feeding of 300 BLK rounds. The red circled areas in the pic above the mags shows where they're filed down.

Vortex Crossfire II scope?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Vortex Crossfire II scope?

Yes, but lower magnification than yours (I think). It's a 2-7x 32mm on the PEPR mount. Adequate for under 200 yard shooting, and if I use it for hunting, I don't plan to shoot past 100 yards.

Ironically, had to stop twice on the way home (all 7 minutes) to let deer cross the road! First a mother and her hesitant fawn and later a 6-8 point buck (was too fast to be certain but leaning toward more points).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom