• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I went ahead and got the Super Blackhawk.

I can see how the trigger guard could easily hurt your middle finger.

I'm thinking of cutting up an old bicycle inner tube and making a thing to wrap around my finger to see if that would work.

phipp13

May 20, 2011
    Point Lookout MD
    I love my Redhawk and shoot max load Handloads often. Hell i can feel the frame through the rubber grips on my S&W .500 Magnum when i shoot max handloads with it and it's not bad IMHO its the classic hog leg wooden grips from Ruger that hurts your hand. I bought rubber Hogue grips for my Redhawk and love them. phipp

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a 7.5" New Model Super Blackhawk I bought new in 1980. I had a 7.5" Redhawk for several years. Neither are Hunter models. Both are highly accurate. The SBHK needs different grips to be an enjoyable shooter. Pachmyers have been on mine since a few months after I bought it. The Redhawk having the DA grip frame is nice to shoot with the stock grips and much is more controllable. Several after market grip choices can make it even more enjoyable to shoot. Both are more pleasant with rubber grips in cold weather.

I scoped the SBHK for awhile and the extra weight reduced recoil and lessened muzzle flip noticeably. I never scoped the Redhawk so can't comment though I would say the effect on recoil will be the same. Either is a desirable gun. I personally prefer the DA revolver over the single action counterpart.

The Super Blackhawk is my deer handgun and am very confident with it. It was competitive as a silhouette pistol as well. The Redhawk (a 5.5" Redhawk replaced the 7.5" model) is one of my three favorite handguns.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Ruger

I know it's bad form o talk about sales at non Industry partners....but Atlantic guns is having their used gun sale. They had a ruger double action 44 for the mid 400s in silver spring...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at #27 - * If clasic hogleg mean (plain) Blackhawk* , I have XXXXL hands , and they don't have an issue with knuckles . If you reach a high enough levels of recoil, eventually it will reach the point of rolling back enough for the back of the hammer to contact the web of the hand. But it varies a LOT from person to person when this occurs or becomes objectionable..

Despite Atlantic Gun not being an IP, they have been named plaintiff in 2A cases, and owner is active in MLFDA , so you can have a pass today.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I bought some 180 grain Hornady "Cowboy" bullets but they fit too loosely so I need a crimper before I try them out. I already had 240 and 300 grain Hornady XTP bullets and bought another box of 200 grain XTP tonight.

Which reload bullets do you guys use in your SBHK?

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I guess target at first to get my accuracy down with the gun.

I cut up one of my old bike tubes and it fits perfectly around my middle finger. I'm going to try to double these up and see if it helps. I'm starting out with a couple of light 200 and 240 grain bullets I loaded up and also some Herter's factory ammo I have. I'll take it out tomorrow.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I guess target at first to get my accuracy down with the gun.

I cut up one of my old bike tubes and it fits perfectly around my middle finger. I'm going to try to double these up and see if it helps. I'm starting out with a couple of light 200 and 240 grain bullets I loaded up and also some Herter's factory ammo I have. I'll take it out tomorrow.

Since you reload, buy bulk.

Meister 255 grain SWC (Midway USA) is a good hard-cast bullet for the Blackhawk. Cuts nice clean holes.

They can be loaded from mild to wild.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I absolutely love Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. Always have. The square back trigger guard on the Super doesn't bother me in the least. I prefer them any day over the Redhawk or Super Redhawk.

All that being said, I really have to question the wisdom of you buying a handgun that you know before you even shoot it, that it's going to beat up your fingers. And in order to find relief, you'll have to wear a bicycle tube to protect it every time you shoot it. If I had this prior knowledge, I'd never buy the gun. Wish you the best, but don't think you'll be happy with this gun long term. Good luck.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    In my SBHK I have had good results with Hornady XTP and FMJ Match, Nosler JHP and Remington SJHP all in 240 grain. For low range and midrange loads I use a good cast 240 grain SWC. I used 200 grain and some 180 grain bullets but didn't see where they did anything the 240's didn't.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I absolutely love Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. Always have. The square back trigger guard on the Super doesn't bother me in the least. I prefer them any day over the Redhawk or Super Redhawk.

All that being said, I really have to question the wisdom of you buying a handgun that you know before you even shoot it, that it's going to beat up your fingers. And in order to find relief, you'll have to wear a bicycle tube to protect it every time you shoot it. If I had this prior knowledge, I'd never buy the gun. Wish you the best, but don't think you'll be happy with this gun long term. Good luck.

You just said it doesn't bother you.

I haven't even shot mine yet.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Owns a Super BH with 7.5 inch barrel.
    Never Shot this 1 as it is a Ruger Factory replacement for one I sent in for a 5 inch crack in the barrel despite only shooting no more than a few hundred factory American Eagle rounds thru it.
    Had to fight Ruger a bit, but got free replacement in the end. Never had trigger guard or any other recoil related impacts that I can recall from the 1st one.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I took mine out today to a range. I had two handloads:
    Hornady 200 grain HP
    Hornady 240 grain HP
    that were both loaded with the minimum gunpowder loads per the Hornady manual and a box of Herter's 240 grain factory ammo.

The ammo was pretty manageable to shoot and pretty accurate from about ten yards. A couple of times my middle finger did hit the trigger guard and I could see how it might hurt with a heavy bullet load. The bike tube really helped though. I used it just for insurance.

For added insurance I'm going to brush on some of that liquid rubber on the back of the trigger guard and that will take care of any pain issues while shooting this pistol.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Just for yowzers... After establishing your heavy load and adjusting the sights for it, load and shoot some swaged or cast 240's at 750-800 fps (44 Special territory). Watch the bullet strikes at 15 to 25 yards. You need to shoot lots of reduced loads to get good with it anyway.

Most of us have developed many loads for this cartridge and have chosen out favorites. FWIW, I use three loads for virtually all my 44 Magnum shooting. 240's at 900 , 1050 and 1300 fps in my 5.5" gun. Out of my 7.5" SBHK those same loads go 925, 1100 and 1400-1440 fps respectively. The 1100 fps load is starting out transs onic at that speed so striving for 1050 or lower would be the goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom