• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I bought one from Dick's on Black Friday for a really good price. Only changed the stock to a laminated thumb-hole stock, modified bolt release, larger mag release and larger bolt charging handle. Very accurate in Ruger Rimfire matches. I use a cheap Sight mark red dot-small, light and accurate. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In general, with a 10/22, I suggest buying a cheap one.

They are like ARs, Barbie for men. Too many aftermarket things to play with.

If you buy an expensive one, you will just be throwing away that much more. :)

My original 10/22 (back when there was only one model) has the original receiver, bolt, charging handle, and trigger housing. And a FEW trigger parts.

Barrel, stock, scope rail, sear, hammer, springs, bolt release have all be replaced. :)

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    In general, with a 10/22, I suggest buying a cheap one.

They are like ARs, Barbie for men. Too many aftermarket things to play with.

If you buy an expensive one, you will just be throwing away that much more. :)

My original 10/22 (back when there was only one model) has the original receiver, bolt, charging handle, and trigger housing. And a FEW trigger parts.

Barrel, stock, scope rail, sear, hammer, springs, bolt release have all be replaced. :)

This is good advice if you plan on making modifications.

Otherwise, purchase the model that suits your purpose of use. Only you can decide which gun is right for you.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    10/22's are like potato chips. One is not enough. I have a deluxe sporter, that I have had forever, and a takedown. I need at least one more.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    I bought one from Dick's on Black Friday for a really good price. Only changed the stock to a laminated thumb-hole stock, modified bolt release, larger mag release and larger bolt charging handle. Very accurate in Ruger Rimfire matches. I use a cheap Sight mark red dot-small, light and accurate. :D

I did the same, Dick's on black friday.

Which mag release and bolt handle did you go with?

JimC

Jun 13, 2013
    PG Co.
    Doesn't matter, it's a 10/22. Just get one! Get a couple if you can.

I have a Carbine and love it! I'd like to get the 10/22T target model next.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    My Brother-in-law and I bought carbines together last December. I had his for three months and shot both, I noticed that his shoots very accurately. Mine shoots good but not as accurate and it could be due to many factors like the trigger and head spacing.
    Both are fun to shoot and if you get one make sure you get a trigger job as the stock trigger is terrible.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Since I haven't heard anyone chime in about the Compact.... It's perfect for a peewee. And kids. Nice short, wooden stock. Was hard to find, but well worth the wait.

SpruceJPG

Dec 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    After reading this I feel like i need more than one too! I went with the basic wooden stock, blued barrel, and added the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Rimfire. It's a great little riffle :)

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    May as well get a Marlin.

I think out of the box the Marlin is very accurate at least the one I shot but I compare it more towards a bolt action gun then a 10/22.

The 10/22 which is not as accurate out of the box seems extremely durable like you can throw it around, bang it against the wall, run it filthy and keep on shooting for fun. If you want to get serious you can build it up to be as accurate as you want with so many limitless options.

Get some Tech sights and have fun with steel targets at 100yds.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    All I have to say is BX-25.

I have a BX-25 and it will only take 15 rounds and after 17 and higher the follower starts to stick and the gun fails to load.

I looked up the issue and it seems I'm not the only one. If you shop for a BX-25 make sure you fill it with plastic dummy ammo and see if you can reproduce the issue before purchase.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Everyone should have a blued 10/22 in a wood stock, it's just one of those must haves. That being said the new(ish) 10/22 takedown looks fun (just remember one of the chief complaints about the AR-7 was that people didn't like breaking it down and reassembling it so often, so you may just leave it complete and in that case it's better to save the money and get a traditional 10/22 configuration).

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I only have the 10/22 TD model, but from what I've heard it's a heckuva lot easier to clean due to it being inherently easier to take apart. My first one was a lemon out of the box, but Ruger fixed it free of charge and it's worked flawless since.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    As others have said, buy them all :lol: But really, decide what you want out of the gun and buy the version that will get you there. My Mannlichter is the most accurate but the side folder tactical is a lot of fun to if you're into playing Barbie with it.

DSC01599_zps402f0896.jpg

If I have one gripe and warning, the newest 10/22's are shit compared to the older stuff. The tactical has a horrible trigger and the receiver is poorly cast compared to the others. The trigger assy. doesn't fit together well and it causes issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom