• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have been considering replacing the stock tapered barrel in my ruger 10/22. I have replaced everything accept the barrel. I really thought I was going to go to a bull barrel but the way my gun sits right now is pretty awesome. I am sure the upgrade to a bull barrel would really improve the accuracy at distance but I am not really looking for a bench/target gun. I already use my CZ 457 Varmint for that. I have 2 bull barrels for the CZ in 22lr and 17hmr. Great gun but that is a different story. I was on Ruger firearms online the other day and noticed they make a tapered barrel 18" and threaded with attached fixed sites in blued or stainless. The barrel is also cold hammer forged. Cost is $139 blued and $159 stainless. My thought is this could be a nice little upgrade to the stock 16" stock barrel that I can suppress if I want. The stock is a Hogue Overmolded which I just recently ordered because I wanted something a little different than the wood stock. Does any one own a 10/22 with this upgraded barrel? If so, I would love to hear about it. Pluses and minuses if any. Also I would like to hear anyones thoughts about if this is something I should even consider. I know there are a lot of you that are going to just say go with a bull and I get it. My long term plan is to just get a complete gun from either Volquartzen or Kidd. Just not ready to put the trigger on a 22lr that expensive yet. My current Ruger 10/22 already has over $300 in Kidd upgrades and they were worth ever penny.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I just bought this barrel on EBay. I installed it in preparation for my Silencerco Sparrow, I just purchased. This is the stock I ended up going with, to replace the OEM wood one: Magpul Hunter X-22 Stock for Ruger 10/22, Flat Dark Earth https://a.co/d/hQNQ4lv

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    This is the barrel you’re talking about, correct?:
    F58A0094-1AB3-46BB-BE7E-22A983A35BF3.jpeg

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    That barrel pictured above is the one I saw on Ruger.com that I am interested in. I couldn't find any YouTube videos on it or any reviews to read. That's why I was hoping to find someone here to give me good feedback.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Go to the 10/22 web page. Some of those guys shorten the barrel and rechamber it to a tighter one. Supposed to make it a bunch better.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    my experience with the Ruger hammer forged bull barrels has been excellent. well made, accurate and reliable.

I am sure the tapered barrel is similar

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    That barrel pictured above is the one I saw on Ruger.com that I am interested in. I couldn't find any YouTube videos on it or any reviews to read. That's why I was hoping to find someone here to give me good feedback.
    That’s the one I bought. It’s Ruger, it’s cold hammer forged and it’s threaded. What more do you need to know? It looks exactly like the original barrel, only with threads. it Should shoot just like the original, as well. My original was dead on accurate

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I checked out the Fedderson barrels and they seem really nice. I don't know anyone personally that has one. I will take your word they are nice. And the price is right. Not sure if I would pick one over the Ruger at this point but will definitely consider it. The down side for me is the Fedderson doesn't come with sites. The idea of sites on my gun just in case is I think a good idea. I also am a big believer in barrels that are cold hammer forged. Thanks for sharing the Fedderson info. I had not heard of them.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Nice looking gun. Was this barrel an upgrade from the stock barrel? How does it shoot? Ever use a can on it?
    Thanks! Yes, I bought the barrel to use a Silencerco Sparrow on it. I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot it yet. I just put it on 3 days ago

Last edited:

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I was having a hard time deciding on what stock to upgrade to. It was between the x22 hunter and the hogue overmolded. I ended up with the Hogue based on how it felt. It is very grippy. I am itching for another range day to test it out. Plus I just got an FN 57 pistol that I haven't shot yet. Below is my upgraded Ruger 10/22 with Kidd parts.

IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom