• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Picked this little fella up at 3 'R' gun shop tonight, a Ruger Cat. K10/22RBD-FS Stainless 10/22 with flash hider and side folder stock for $325 for the oldest's 17th B-day. We saw it last week while paying for my 22/45 and the kid mentioned it a couple times vs. the Glenfield 75 that doesn't like to feed very well so what's a dad to do?

DSC01586_zpsd909c3cb.jpg

DSC01587_zpsc1732a8f.jpg

DSC01588_zps7b8b8205.jpg

DSC01585_zpsebe91b23.jpg

DSC01584_zps2c628eb1.jpg

Still needs kid friendly optics, either a red dot or 3-9x32 scope like my WalMart special 10/22 has. Hoping it's good shooter as it feels natural.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Google '3r gun shop Hagerstown', has location and phone number. Call and leave a message and he'll call you back.

Open Wednesday 6-8 and Saturday morning.

This was the only one I've seen anywhere. He does have a non flash suppressor stainless with a black stock that has a built in laser. Actually he has a bunch of 22lr stuff. 15-22, 2 of the Chippawa M1a's, a 22lr UZI

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Google '3r gun shop Hagerstown', has location and phone number. Call and leave a message and he'll call you back.

Open Wednesday 6-8 and Saturday morning.

This was the only one I've seen anywhere. He does have a non flash suppressor stainless with a black stock that has a built in laser. Actually he has a bunch of 22lr stuff. 15-22, 2 of the Chippawa M1a's, a 22lr UZI

Awesome! Thanks!

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Nice find!

(Not trying to be a safety nazi, but the booger hook is on the bang switch, btw...)

Yep, didn't notice it last night, gonna have some 'xplaining to do...

Planning on stripping it apart tomorrow evening and taking the bolt in to work to surface grind and true up. My other 10/22 cycled so much smoother once the bolt was 'tuned'. This one feels too mechanical, 'clack-clack' as you rack the bolt.

May 10, 2013
    ksa barrel

i bought a 16" ksa fluted bull barrel for my 10/22 however when i sntall it the bolt will not completely colse ? any ideas?

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Careful,,, A pic like this got a guy in Ohio (I think) locked up. After all,, :sarcasm: no kid, or human should ever touch a firearm :sarcasm:

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    First - that is a sweet rifle, you might have to "test" fire that one each month/week, etc.

My son is getting a marlin 60 - way to show the rest of us up! Sure he would much rather have the 10/22 for sure!

Better also to post a picture like that here than on FB - folks here appreciate everything about what you are doing.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Ok, spent some time today tuning the new receiver. To start, my pull gauge registered 18lbs to cycle the bolt and 6lbs to trip the trigger. The bolt just felt rough and gritty. The trigger felt the same so...

After stripping the reciever I noticed that these are now sand cast vs. mold cast in my '91 vintage. Both the housing and the bolt showed minimal machining.
    DSC01589_zps42b9f336.jpg

First step was to surface grind the sides and top of the bolt to true it up. Ended up taking around .004" of each side and .006" off the top to get a 95% ground surface. I also rounded the bottom rear of the bolt so it sets the hammer with less effort. The bottom of the bolt was rubbing on the ejector tip and base so I had to remove @ .015" off each surface of the ejector to get the bolt to cycle smoothly. I also tweaked the bolt hold open so it worked smoother. It was rubbing against the mag release pin so a .030" pocket in the plate by the pin made it move much easier. The locking slots were opened up so the bolt hold open would drop without nearly as much effort as well.
    DSC01592_zps5aca5106.jpg

Finally I did a mild trigger job. I had some real trouble with the steel pins wanting to fall out of the plastic housing, ended up using some lock-tite paste to keep them together. I did take a bit too much off the hammer and had some drop fire issues that took a good bit of work to get the geometry correct between the hammer and sear so it wouldn't trip fire. The hammer's sear face had a groove in the casting that was causing the trigger to drag as well. I also clipped off 2 turns from the trigger return spring, turned the plunger .020" shorter so the reset wasn't so forceful. Finally I added a 8/32" set screw trigger limiter.
    DSC01595_zpse35391e4.jpg

During reassembly I installed a chunk of 1/4" poly flow tubing as a bolt buffer and verified everything worked correctly. The bolt cycled at 13 lbs and the trigger tripped at 3 lbs. I'll probably buy another hammer / sear and redo the trigger.

Now to find a sight for it and go fire the poor thing.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Spent some time today getting the Simmons scope mounted and a sling. The scope bases didn't fit well and once I tightened them one bolt slipped through the top cap.

DSC01599_zps402f0896.jpg

DSC01600_zps95f9ed64.jpg

tdant

Jul 31, 2012
    Spent some time today getting the Simmons scope mounted and a sling. The scope bases didn't fit well and once I tightened them one bolt slipped through the top cap.

DSC01599_zps402f0896.jpg

DSC01600_zps95f9ed64.jpg

I can see Dad told him to keep his finger Waaaay away from the trigger ;p

Love the rifle

darthblade1

Nov 25, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Here is my latest kitchen creation. Nordic Components receiver kit, 12" free float quad rail, 6 position stock, 45% iron sights, NC Star 3x9x40 scope, 18" bull barrel, Valquartzen 2&1/2 lb trigger kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 535

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Skinner Peep Sights make a nice peep sight for the Ruger, I have it on my Henry not my Ruger yet. They are nice can trick them all out .

Peeps are very high on the list. I have one on my Hi Point monkey gun carbine and it has a very natural feel to it. I'll have to make a new front sight or at least the mount. A front A2 style would look pretty cool. The only down side is I'm not sure how the kid's aim will improve if he can't see what he's aiming at as well as with the scope.

I also considered putting the other Bushnell scope on to see if it's just the Simmons scope that the gun doesn't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom