• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I bought the 10/22 in February but have only had a chance to shoot it once. It gave me a ton of issues with FTF and FTE. I was using Federal Bulk 550ct 22LR ammo and a factory BX-25 Mag. I just fired it out of the box, no cleaning or lubing.

Any advice on what I can do? I am pretty much a gun noob when it comes to working on a rifle but I am looking to learn. I tried to youtube it figuring it was a common issue but I didnt find anything that fit my problem.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    In general recommend clean and lube it, or at very least lots of lube. Then manually cycle the action a few times feeling for any binding.

Check your spent cases looking for solid primer strikes.

Try different ammo as 22 can be finicky

Run some HV ammo through it and break it in to see if it solves the problem.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    In general recommend clean and lube it, or at very least lots of lube. Then manually cycle the action a few times feeling for any binding.

Check your spent cases looking for solid primer strikes.

Try different ammo as 22 can be finicky

Run some HV ammo through it and break it in to see if it solves the problem.

Any recommendations for cleaning/lubing products. I have Rem Oil and Hops. I have heard that Synthetic Motor Oil and Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease for lubing.

I will try some HV ammo next time I make it to the range

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Any recommendations for cleaning/lubing products. I have Rem Oil and Hops. I have heard that Synthetic Motor Oil and Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease for lubing.

I will try some HV ammo next time I make it to the range

rem or hops will do.

synthetic oil/clp mix for lubing what I have been using on most of my guns.

I personally don't use grease on 10/22.. 22lr typically are dirty rounds.. grease + dirt/carbon = one big mess. (not a gunsmith .. but from experience).

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The factory stamped extractor leaves something to be desired . I swapped mine out for a KIDD on a new gun I was having issues with last year, and fixed my extracting issues.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    If your Ruger is not firing Federal Bulk its not acceptable and not ammo related.

I broke in two 10/22s early this year but what I did differently is disassemble both and clean the sticky preservative off the bolt and receiver. Then I lubed with Weapons Shield and had not one FTF or FTE. Both rifles have around 600 rounds each though them and they were also rapid fired a good number of times.

The only problem I have had is with the BX-25 magazine which was causing a failure to feed because the follower sticks if you load more then 15 rounds. This is a known issue with some of the defective Ruger magazines and I was unlucky.

What I would do is watch a youtube video for the disassembly and clean up the action.
    Then I would lube generously for the break in and only use the Ruger 10 round rotary magazine for 50 rounds to see if the problem comes back.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    If your Ruger is not firing Federal Bulk its not acceptable and not ammo related.

I broke in two 10/22s early this year but what I did differently is disassemble both and clean the sticky preservative off the bolt and receiver. Then I lubed with Weapons Shield and had not one FTF or FTE. Both rifles have around 600 rounds each though them and they were also rapid fired a good number of times.

The only problem I have had is with the BX-25 magazine which was causing a failure to feed because the follower sticks if you load more then 15 rounds. This is a known issue with some of the defective Ruger magazines and I was unlucky.

What I would do is watch a youtube video for the disassembly and clean up the action.
    Then I would lube generously for the break in and only use the Ruger 10 round rotary magazine for 50 rounds to see if the problem comes back.

Thanks I will give this a try, I am thinking it has to do with the gun/action as you said and most likely not the mag or ammo. If that doesnt work I will look into replacing the extractor

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks I will give this a try, I am thinking it has to do with the gun/action as you said and most likely not the mag or ammo. If that doesnt work I will look into replacing the extractor

If it doesn't resolve the issue then I would contact Ruger and get it sorted out by them since it's probably under warranty at least I presume.

I highly recommend Weapons Shield lubricant because it works like synthetic motor oil but gives you great corrosion protection. This is great if you let your guns sit.

ob1murry

May 18, 2011
    The factory stamped extractor leaves something to be desired . I swapped mine out for a KIDD on a new gun I was having issues with last year, and fixed my extracting issues.

Same here.

I had a FTE issue with my 10/22 when I first got it, replaced the extractor and have not had an issue since.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have built several custom 10-22's and have always broken them in with Mini Mags, which, are VERY hard to find right now. But, any HV over 1200FPS should do for about 300 rounds or so. But FIRST, I would ( except for the trigger section unless you are very comfortable with this type of disassembly ) and.COM clean everything in brake cleaner/degreaser first, then lightly, very lightly oil them when you put them back together.

There is a website, and he sells his tools online also, I think Midway and several other places, Ebay called GUNSMITHER.COm if I remember correctly. He sells a small inexpensive arm/tool to take out and replace the bolt in the 10-22, which can be one of the most FRUSTRATING experiences you will ever have with that rifle. everything else is easy as pie :-) On the tool for replacing the bolt, it also has two little nipples for replacing the extractor so, its 2 tools in one for about $15, worth the money. Also, KIDD parts are some of the best you can buy.

As for the nasty stock trigger, well, you can spend $100 and up buying drop in parts, kits, or whole trigger guards but the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK is to purchase a Volquartsen HAMMER KIT ( usually on sale at MIDWAYUSA for about $33 ) and just install this match hammer, with all the springs and shims, use 1000 to 1200 wet/dry sand paper with a little honing oil to smooth out the trigger pin, and mostly all internal parts, reassemble using a minor bit of oil and NO GREASE..as someone already mentioned that grease, and even too much oil in the receiver will attrack and gunk it up in no time. I recommend either making a trigger with a set screw or buy for for $12 for Heirer's custom ruger 10-22 (Google him he sells parts very cheap and is probably THE PREMIER 10-22 Custom builder in the US ) website. And you will have a SWEET 2 3/4lb pull trigger with no over travel at all!!

Good luck, also www.rimfire.com is the best rimfire website in the world..hahahah MD SHOOTERS is the NEST FORUM in the world...:D
    n

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    DARN...mu spelling is good, but my fingers are too FAT for this lousy laptop I now have :-(

MDS is the BEST not NEST...in he world!! :-) ( maybe...maybe not :-)

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    Shoot a little CLP in the receiver and cycle the action, before disassembly. Sometimes it takes a few rounds to get her broken in. Use the 10 rounder for a bit first.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I bought a 10/22 Carbine back in August. I shot over 500 rounds of Federal bulk through it on my first trip to the range with it. All I did was clean it with Hoppes #9 and lube with Rem Oil.

I had 2 FTF's and it was ammo related. The nose of the ammo was deformed out of the box and was catching on the leading edge of the feed ramp and hanging up. I shot those through my Ruger SR-22.

Other than that, zero issues. And I was using the 10 round box magazine and 2 BX-25 mags.

ziptiespec

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having w/ your 10/22. My wife and I picked up a 10/22 on 6/8 and I did nothing but take it out of the box, load the 10-round mag w/ Remington bulk Golden Bullets, and let 'er rip. We've (well, mostly me) put close to 300 rounds through it w/ no FTFs, no FTEs, just lots of that crisp little *crack*. Here's a nice shot of her at the range:

Anyway, I would follow the suggestions of dev above. Clean it good, lube it lightly, then give it another go. If it's still giving you trouble then contact Ruger and send it in for work. It'll be worth the effort to get it right, it's such a fun gun to shoot.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I've never had a problem with the factory 10round box mags. when I use the old ramline hi-cap mags, then I get the FTF problems.

cabela's had 10 round ruger rotary box mags at a great price recently. 4 mags for $57 total (plus shipping) using part number ZP-22-4626. place it in the search box on their website and see if still available if you're interested.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Agreed. Latest 10/22 has eaten everything I give it. I always clean my guns prior to using them. But my latest 10/22 has been nothing but a pleasure. Needs to have the rear sight moved a bit, but otherwise just fine.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the Volquartsen Extractor and some of the weapons shield, I am going to break it down and clean and lube it when I install the new extractor, hopefully that will fix it. If not I will start on some of the other instructions. I will post an update once I get it done and get to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom