• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I miss Lou.

My first " run in" with Lou, was at the Frederick Gun Show, was just lookiing around at what was there.
    I "leaned over" on his counter, next thing I know is this guy yelling and a few choice words about being
    able to read, on and on. It got heated and he finally told me it was his table and who he was, then
    some others "leaned" I just said don't stand there go get em. Then we some how started talking about
    some guns, Garands, M1A's, after that all was great, bought a many "toy" from him. Yeah I miss him,
    his crazy side. his deals.

-Rock

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Can't say I've ever had issues at Engage or United. But the truth is, every shop has bad days.

Atlantic used to be slightly infamous for issues like the OP describes, but my impression was that they were trying to resolve that.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Was over at United to pick up a couple of handguns in MSP jail today. They were quick to notice me and helped me out in a timely a professional fashion. Moments after picking them up, I decided to browse their consignments and had another rep ask me if I am going to consign the handguns I have just picked up. I had a quick chuckle about it, but I commend their efforts in trying to notice everyone who walks in the store.

Went over at Atlantic to browse. It wasn't too busy, they had about 5-6 on staff with little more in customers. I quickly noticed how hard it was to get their attention as they seemed pretty tunnel visioned in helping each customer they were already attending, which is understandable. I wanted to ask if they had any browning buckmark mags, but winded up walking away after the store was getting busier.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Can't say I've ever had issues at Engage or United. But the truth is, every shop has bad days.

Atlantic used to be slightly infamous for issues like the OP describes, but my impression was that they were trying to resolve that.
    In 40+ years(and I am by no means a regular there), I have never had a problem there. They do a bustling business there, granted. I've always accepted a wait. I've never been treated rudely though, and rudeness, in business, should never be rewarded.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I’ve had very good experiences at the three Mogo county/Rockville gun shops, which begs the question - at what point is middle-age really just early old age?!?

I have had bad experiences at Atlantic and Engage but, United has been a pleasure each and every time I have walked in.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In 40+ years(and I am by no means a regular there), I have never had a problem there. They do a bustling business there, granted. I've always accepted a wait. I've never been treated rudely though, and rudeness, in business, should never be rewarded.
    I don't have a beef with them, but the number of complaints they got on here is hard to ignore.

Incidentally, Engage had some serious issues until Andy bought it out from Ted. Stores change, and we should be willing to accept that.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    In the past week or so i hit a few gun stores in MOCO. I went into Atlantic guns in rockville because i heard great things/selection i browsed for a few minutes with about 3 other people in the store… not busy. I looked around about 5 minutes and asked the guy at the counter a simple question or 2. no more than a
    20-30 second conversation…

he seemed “preoccupied” and not wanting to be helpful at all. I get it some days at work can be shitty i guess. But he shut me down on inquiring about a certain gun and seemed to snap at me in a rude manner like i was beneath him and wasting his time even after saying i wanted to buy a gun… i was a little dumbfounded and walked out.. ok you don’t seem to want my business i suppose…

Went into engage armament and experienced similar scenario like I was wasting their time. It was a simple question of “do you guys have x gun?” Followed by “can i order it?”

I don’t normally rant about places but kinda crappy experience from my angle going first time. I hate going into gun stores like that… i get it, you guys have been super busy through the pandemic as have i, and probably have had a bunch of people coming in asking dumb questions… but still.

I will continue to keep going down to United gunshop. They have always treated me right and have fair prices for the most part. Sorry for the rant.

Next time you plan to be in MOCO, hit me up. I'm a regular at Atlantic and United but I go to Atlantic more. I'd be happy to accompany you to Atlantic and steer you towards the right salespeople there. Most are very nice and willing to help. There is one that takes a while to warm up to you so maybe that was the person you encountered today.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Next time you plan to be in MOCO, hit me up. I'm a regular at Atlantic and United but I go to Atlantic more. I'd be happy to accompany you to Atlantic and steer you towards the right salespeople there. Most are very nice and willing to help. There is one that takes a while to warm up to you so maybe that was the person you encountered today.

Hey sounds good. I appreciate it. Like i said earlier. I’m not writing them off or anything. I understand you cant let a one time experience taint your opinion of a place. I will return soon and see how it goes. They have a great stock in store from what i saw as well.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Atlantic in Rockville my dad had been shopping at for years and years (he’d walk there from his offic in the old GE building there). Following his recommendation I went there and bought my first evil black rifle. Sandy Hook happened 2 days after I picked it up. The staff was very courteous, especially when I filled out the paperwork as my dad and I have the same name; he’s Jr and I’m III. They asked if we were related and I said “yeah that’s my dad, he’s the one who is always looking for .38 S&W”. During the panic of 2013 bought a handgun from them. Was immediately helped and the staff member, younger dude, spent as much time with me until I found the one that fit the best. They were rationing ammo, as were many LGS, so I’d go in every week while waiting for MSP to return the paperwork. They’d see me walk in and say “not yet, you want target or defensive this week”. When id go in around lunchtime though, it was always regulars just coming in to chat.

Engage, I went when they first moved to Rockville from Kensington. They were still unpacking and setting up. A very nice gentleman and MDS member who we all know is now a lawyer for Ruger asked me what I was looking for. Me being my dumb self just said “I’m not here to buy anything today but have some questions”. He took the time to show me what they had and let me see which was the most comfortable answered all the questions I had.

The Gun Center in Frederick? That’s an “old boys club”. I can walk there in 5 minutes but they’ve always been rude. Not just to me, but others that were in there as well. They’d rather just pal around with their friends than make a sale.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive done some business with Atlantic over the years, I can say they have been curt but far from rude. They get a lot of NOOBs etc. and sometimes there is a backlog getting an associate to spend some time with you.

I wouldnt write them off. That said both Engage and United get ++++++ for friendly service.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've been regularly attending gun storea for close to 50yrs ( since I was young) . Both usual places where I was a regular , and most any GS I spot anywhere I'm out & about , or traveling . Some places now I'm a regular , and a few people over the years became real life friends . ( And whenever I was just BS'ing , I'm always on the alert for other patrons seeking service , to back away , and wave them forwards .)

Out of thousands of GS visits , actual bad experiences are on one hand , with lots of fingers left over . And had opportunity to overhear countless patron/ counterperson interactions .

In these kinds of threads , it jumps out that the best and worst reports are frequently about the same places .

Where it's not someplace that we imeadately start having a conversation about families , kids , dogs , etc , I like to be left alone to look over everything , to see what catches my attention for unusual , interesting , particularly good value , etc . The I'll ask to see it , or otherwise make further inquiry . Rarely have trouble recieving attention when I ask , but being hovered over ( by non friends ) is annoying .

Maybe I'm a statistical freak , or just give off a certain unspoken vibe , but that's my long term experiences .

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I've been regularly attending gun storea for close to 50yrs ( since I was young) . Both usual places where I was a regular , and most any GS I spot anywhere I'm out & about , or traveling . Some places now I'm a regular , and a few people over the years became real life friends . ( And whenever I was just BS'ing , I'm always on the alert for other patrons seeking service , to back away , and wave them forwards .)

Out of thousands of GS visits , actual bad experiences are on one hand , with lots of fingers left over . And had opportunity to overhear countless patron/ counterperson interactions .

In these kinds of threads , it jumps out that the best and worst reports are frequently about the same places .

Where it's not someplace that we imeadately start having a conversation about families , kids , dogs , etc , I like to be left alone to look over everything , to see what catches my attention for unusual , interesting , particularly good value , etc . The I'll ask to see it , or otherwise make further inquiry . Rarely have trouble recieving attention when I ask , but being hovered over ( by non friends ) is annoying .

Maybe I'm a statistical freak , or just give off a certain unspoken vibe , but that's my long term experiences .

Agreed 100%

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I start off each gun shop visit by looking the guy behind the counter right in the eye, and saying "I know more than you about what I am looking for and I have a pocket full of money" They like that.

This is good advice for getting better service for any kind of purchase. Be serious about spending money and don't waste the salesperson's time. You don't have to buy something every time you go, just find out what you need and make a decision.

OP, once you are seen as a regular buyer, the dynamic changes considerably. One doesn't want to reward poor customer service, though.

I see the culture of Atlantic hasn't changed. If you have to have an "in" to get decent service, then the marketplace has provided alternatives.

I do use Engage regularly for gunsmithing services and have been pleased. United is my regular GS because they treat everyone well.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    For the brief 2 years and change I lived in Maryland, I visited United a few times and found the customer service second to none. I really felt welcome there and gave those guys as much business as I could. I went to engage one time and knew I would never return. I contacted them about a specific rifle. Andy replied, assured me they had it and he would “put it aside” for me. After work-in Baltimore, I fought the awful afternoon traffic all the way to engage. Had cash and was there to buy, I knew exactly what I wanted and they had it and I was good with the price. Couldn’t get anyone to help me. After about an hour of trying and literally being ignored, I left. Maybe just a bad day but I figured why give them another chance when United is awesome and much closer to my house. Now in VA, I have an attorney friend who has an FFL and does transfers for me. That’s as good as it gets second to private sales FTF coming back.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've dealt with United and Atlantic a couple times each after discovering them on MD Shooters. Each time has been a fantastic experience everyone that I dealt with has been great no complaints at all. The only reason I don't buy from them more often is the distance.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    For the brief 2 years and change I lived in Maryland, I visited United a few times and found the customer service second to none. I really felt welcome there and gave those guys as much business as I could. I went to engage one time and knew I would never return. I contacted them about a specific rifle. Andy replied, assured me they had it and he would “put it aside” for me. After work-in Baltimore, I fought the awful afternoon traffic all the way to engage. Had cash and was there to buy, I knew exactly what I wanted and they had it and I was good with the price. Couldn’t get anyone to help me. After about an hour of trying and literally being ignored, I left. Maybe just a bad day but I figured why give them another chance when United is awesome and much closer to my house. Now in VA, I have an attorney friend who has an FFL and does transfers for me. That’s as good as it gets second to private sales FTF coming back.

My experience was the same at Engage too. Do they train people there to ignore new customers on purpose? It ticked me off so I'll never spend money there. I will share that experience at the range and elsewhere. A guy I met at Gilberts last week told me a similar story that just happened last month. So, it doesn't sound like the bad guys have been rotated out. I now spend all my money at Atlantic and United.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had similar experiences with Atlantic.

I have had good experiences with Engage.

I have only interacted with United online, but had a bad experience.

Outside MoCo, I have had good experiences with 2A, Duffy's and The Bank (Havre de Grace).

And not so good with Gun Connection and Freestate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom