• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Almost all the parts for restoring the Ross MKII 3* that I got in Lancaster earlier in the month came in this week. Just waiting on the bolt stop to complete things. So I decided to throw up some photos showing how it turned out.
    -When I got it a previous owner had scraped the stock, removing most of the finish on the left side and some of the right side above the buttstock markings. Thank God he didn't go any further or those marks would have been obliterated. There's a before and after photo of the left side showing the drastic difference.
    -The bolt, bolt stop, magazine follower and cutoff spring were all missing. And the bore was as dark as Nancy Pelosi's heart. Luckily I was able to scrounge all my parts from Numrich and Gun Broker (got the very last magazine follower assm. at Numrich, very lucky!).
    -I removed the barrel and scrubbed the bore using Kroil. It's much better but will need the heat from a range session to help loosen the last of the crud in the grooves.
    -BTW, it's sad to see so many Bubba'd Ross rifles with wrench scars on the barrel shanks as it's soooo easy to remove and re-install a Ross barrel. Just remove the barrel stop screw and unscrew. The key is knowing that it uses a LEFT handed coarse thread. Comes off sooooo easy. Of course Bubba assumes it's right handed and chews up the barrel in the process. I once bought a MKIII for parts as the receiver was twisted by Bubba in an attempt to remove the barrel. Such a waste...
    -Smoothed the scrape marks on the stock using medium steel wool. Then used an alcohol based dark walnut stain to get the stock color back. Put about 5-6 heavy coats of raw linseed oil on until it would take no more.
    -Don't know just how bad the chamber was reamed, perhaps if I'm bored this weekend I'll cast the chamber with Cerrosafe to see what condition it's in. So many of the US training rifles, such as this one, were poorly reamed. I'm crossing my fingers that this isn't one of them.

Attachments

• IMGP6683.JPG
      IMGP6683.JPG
      40.7 KB · Views: 195
    • IMGP6684.JPG
      IMGP6684.JPG
      42 KB · Views: 194
    • IMGP6685.JPG
      IMGP6685.JPG
      27.6 KB · Views: 193
    • IMGP6667.JPG
      IMGP6667.JPG
      16.2 KB · Views: 187
    • IMGP6688.JPG
      IMGP6688.JPG
      18.1 KB · Views: 189
    • IMGP6687.JPG
      IMGP6687.JPG
      35.6 KB · Views: 203
    • IMGP6689.JPG
      IMGP6689.JPG
      43.3 KB · Views: 193
    • IMGP6690.JPG
      IMGP6690.JPG
      36.8 KB · Views: 209
    • IMGP6691.JPG
      IMGP6691.JPG
      52.9 KB · Views: 199
    • IMGP6692.JPG
      IMGP6692.JPG
      25.8 KB · Views: 194

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Awesome job, it makes me want a ross and it makes me all the more anxious to finish my Krag project, there have been some delays....but its going to all come together someday soon.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Nice. While I am a proponent of leaving things as they are if original, I'm all for undoing the ways of Bubba.... I find it very very satisfying when I am and step back to see his work undone and a beauty like this restored to its original configuration as I'm sure you are.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Think I got this one to the point where you cannot see any vestige of Bubba remaining. You can just see where the scraping stopped at the top of the right side of the buttstock, along with all the paint overspray. Just short of all the marks. Got very lucky Bubba didn't feel ambitious and stopped at this point.
    BTW, when you look at the 3rd photo and see just how intricate the woodwork is on the Ross you can understand why there have been no reproduction stocks produced. Too difficult and expensive to reproduce.
    Bubba is the one thing that the Ross and Krags share in common. Both make such sweet shooters that Bubba is naturally attracted to them.
    As to me corning the market on Ross rifles, well I'm guilty of not letting a good thing pass me by! I'll buy these all day long for five twenty dollar bills!. :rolleye12

Attachments

• IMGP6669.JPG
      IMGP6669.JPG
      82.3 KB · Views: 135

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads