• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Rookie reloader here. I am using an RCBS press to reload .223. I ran the casings through the primer removal die, which I thought would also resized the neck of the casing for bullet installation later, but it does not seem to be right.

When I go to put in a bullet it is loose or pops all the way in.

The casings are already primed now. Just need to add powder and bullet.

Any ideas of what I may be doing wrong, besides everything? :innocent0

Thanks,

Dave

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Rookie reloader here. I am using an RCBS press to reload .223. I ran the casings through the primer removal die, which I thought would also resized the neck of the casing for bullet installation later, but it does not seem to be right.

When I go to put in a bullet it is loose or pops all the way in.

The casings are already primed now. Just need to add powder and bullet.

Any ideas of what I may be doing wrong, besides everything? :innocent0

Thanks,

Dave
    I'm not familiar with RCBS dies, but it sounds like you don't have the die set correctly, or you didn't press the case all the way into the die once the decapper pin pushed the spent primer out.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Did you lift the press ram all the way to the top and screw the die down until it just touches the shellholder? I always back the die off a 1/4 turn and then lock the ring. Make sure you lube the cases before you resize them or you'll be looking for or making a stuck case remover. Not Fun!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Me thinks you used a universal decapping die, which does not size a case at all. You will need to use a full length sizing die, and set the press to "cam over" if its an RCBS.

The die adjustment procedure should be included in your die set.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Did you lift the press ram all the way to the top and screw the die down until it just touches the shellholder? I always back the die off a 1/4 turn and then lock the ring. Make sure you lube the cases before you resize them or you'll be looking for or making a stuck case remover. Not Fun!

Funny how manufacturers are. My LEE set says to add 1/2 turn after it touches the shellholder.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    It is a two die set and i am told the die that removes the primer also reshapes the casing. Will look at the directions again.

Thanks for the input will see if I can figure it out. Unfortunately I dont know any experienced reloaders to come over and look. So, trial and error here I come.

Dave

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It is a two die set and i am told the die that removes the primer also reshapes the casing. Will look at the directions again.

Thanks for the input will see if I can figure it out. Unfortunately I dont know any experienced reloaders to come over and look. So, trial and error here I come.

Dave

if it is resizer and decaper... you probably not in full stroke.. did you lube the case resizing?

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    The other issue (besides not resizing the case necks), is you're not "bumping" the shoulder back. I recommend picking up the Stoney Point headspace gauge (they were bought out by Hornady). It's an aluminum cylinder that clamps on your calipers so you can measure the headspace of your sized cartridges...that way, instead of "a quarter turn back" or "a half turn more" you can actually measure how far back you're setting the shoulder. First measure a fired case from your gun, then set the die to push the shoulder back between 2 and 5 thousandths...or you can set it all the way back to SAAMI spec, but that usually work-hardens the brass and causes premature failure. If you size the neck but don't push the shoulder back, you will get failures (in battery) in semi-auto rifles, or a hard-to-close bolt in a bolt gun.

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010

Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you post some pictures of the sizing die, of the press with the hamdle all the way down and the case in the die, and a close-up of the case after the decapping/resizing operation.

Also, do you get some resistance from the expander button when you pull the case out of the die (by moving the press handle up)?

As mentioned already, do not forget lubing the cases or you will have some grief with a stuck case.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yep i lube the cases as I run them through. I actually have a headspace guage already from Dillon and they are fine there. I suspect I did NOT run the cases up far enough. Will adjust and let you know. Unfortunatelly I have already primed them all thining i did it right. Will take out the primer ejection pin and adjust the die accordingly. hopefully all is not lost.

Thanks for all the advice.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It helped TREMENDOUSLY for me to dry run the process w/o a primer and powder.
    I skipped those steps and then seated the bullet and practiced the crimping.
    I also measured stuff as I went along. Case length, Inner diameter of mouth etc.

I screwed up about 3 cases before I figured out the instructions correctly. But that was not primered and no powder in it so pulling the bullet, I just lost the cases.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Be careful when you crimp the bullet in the case mouth; if your seating die is set too low it will crush the case. I like to crimp in a seperate step with a Lee Factory Crimp die.
    Each cycle of the ram needs a full stroke for round to round consistency.
    Good luck and have fun

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    things to check

that your die is a full length die (not collet or neck), and is actually engraved .223

that your decapper pin is adjusted properly, usually 3/16 bellow the die.

what bullets are you using? grab some and measure their diameter with calipers

Oskerspap12

May 3, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Howdy Dave,
    This is a Dave also from Monrovia.Be very careful when you are depriming your cases.
    You have live primers in there,and there is a chance that you can set one off while depriming.My advise is to either stick them in your gun,and shoot 'em,or while depriming go VERY slow.How many did you reprime??If not that many just shoot them.
    Please let me know if I can help you get things right(setup wise...dies ect...)I'll be glad to help you anyway I can seeing as we are neighbors.
    Give me a holler.
    Have a great day,and good luck.
    D.P.Reynolds

How about just take the depriming pin out,and run the cases back through your resizing die........that should work.....should have thought of that first.;)

Last edited:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Out of curiosity, what brand and type dies you are using? These arent competition style dies, with removable/adjustable sizer buttons?

If its a standard RCBS, the mouth sizer is on the stem of the decapper, and not running the case all the way up, wont make a difference on sizing the mouths enough to hold a bullet. Running the case all the way up effects setting the shoulder, and full body sizing of the case.

You should still be able to get the case mouth to properly grip a bullet, just by running the case enough to decap, and pulling it back out- and lots of times even less up. But I would full length size your cases all the way up if your shooting a semi auto, or an AR, at each loading.

You sure you are using the proper diameter bullet as well?

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You don't need to deprime to resize.

Just remove the decapping pin from the expander.

If its a standard RCBS, the mouth sizer is on the stem of the decapper, and not running the case all the way up, wont make a difference on sizing the mouths enough to hold a bullet. Running the case all the way up effects setting the shoulder, and full body sizing of the case.
    Sure it will. The button on the stem expands the mouth. If he didn't run the case up into the neck area of the die, the button will just pass through not doing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom